Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2018 2:49:12 PM EDT
Having a little problem finding the answer to these questions. Both my wife and I like to shoot. I’m a left hand shooter. She shoots right handed. With ar15 and other guns I have no problem shooting a right handed gun left handed. Don’t even think about it.

With the x95 I have read left hand shooting a right handed gun with get lots of brass in the face? Is there a leftie out there who has been able to comfortably shoot a right hand x95?

Anyone do the left hand conversion on it? Where you pay iwi for it?

And for the big question. Once the conversion is done is it possible to easily swap back and fourth between left and right while at the range? Or is it a pain to swap back and fourth?
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven’t done enough weak side shooting to definitively comment on swapping shoulders but it does have a brass deflector.  However if you put your face too far forward you will eat brass even if that deflector would have otherwise been effective with that load.

As for swapping it would be a little bit of a pain in the ass since you’d have to swap the bolt out then change the port cover. I guess theoretically you could just leave both ports uncovered and just swap the bolt though then in the unlikely situation of a kaboom shit will be vented out of both ports.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I have shot weak handed with my Tavor SAR and my Brother who is left handed has shot my SAR without issue.   If you use 5.56 ammo the spent brass is kicked out at 2 O Clock.   If you shoot 223 Remington or lower pressure ammo it is ejected to 3-4 O Clock.   This could come close to the shooters face if you weren’t careful of your cheek weld on the stock.

The SAR and X95 can be converted from right to left or vice versa but it is something at the armorer level.   Not really practical to switch from right to left on the range unless your content not to move the charging handle.   You can push two pins and remove the BCG then swap bolts.   You’d then have to remove the ejection port cover and move it to the opposite side.

I’d personally consider a KelTec RDB or Tavor7 over the X95 for better ambidextrous use.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have shot weak handed with my Tavor SAR and my Brother who is left handed has shot my SAR without issue.   If you use 5.56 ammo the spent brass is kicked out at 2 O Clock.   If you shoot 223 Remington or lower pressure ammo it is ejected to 3-4 O Clock.   This could come close to the shooters face if you weren’t careful of your cheek weld on the stock.

I’d personally consider a KelTec RDB or Tavor7 over the X95 for better ambidextrous use.
View Quote
Thanks for the info. Did your brother have any problems keeping his face away from the ejection port? Or get a lot of gas in the face?  Or find that it was doable but awakward shooting it? For exapmle somethung that you could do in a pinch but would find anoying on a purment basis?

Ive looked at the RDB quote a bit as an alterative to x95. And it may end up being a better way to go.

The tavor 7 may work. Dont think my wife would enjoy shooting 7.62 on a regular basis though with the kick. Also a lot more spendy to shoot with the ammo.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#4]
My Brother is a pretty good size guy about 5’11 275# and he was fine shooting my SAR from his strong side (left handed).    I think the length of pull is about an inch shorter on the X95 compared to the SAR.   My Brother didn’t mention any problem about the gas but I have a Friend that has shot the Tavor twice and he always complains about the gas.   I’ve never experience gas or fumes from my Tavor to any degree more than shooting any other semi auto centerfire rifle without a suppressor.   My Friend who complains about the gas is right handed but has very long arms and long neck which probably makes a difference.

My suggestion is try and shoot an X95 or at least a SAR to see if you like them well enough to buy one.   I bought my Tavor in 2014 and I finally got to handle a SAR before buying.   I bought my SAR used but was basically like new plus I got a gun case, scope and extra mags.    The Tavor SAR & X95 are very robust firearms and I’d have no hesitation buying another used Tavor.

It is hard to recommend a firearm to someone else as preferences are personal, can you shoot an X95 set up for right handed left hand, yes.   Will you like well enough to do it all the time.   That is something only the user can determine.   You can get ambidextrous safeties for the X95 if you decide to switch from right to left with out changing the charging handle.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I went down to the local gun store today and held the x95 again. It was in the right hand config and I held it on my left shoulder. My mouth / face site maybe 1/2 inches from the ejection port. If I was always careful I probably would not get hit in the face with the brass. It would only take one time though of just moving my head a bit and I would end up with brass hitting teeth/mouth/face. Its quite close. Not sure how much gas and gunk spits out of that port.

I don't think my face would ever block the port and create a jam. It would more be a graze and or just getting gas & gunk in the face.

Downward ejection would defiantly be better (kel tek RDB style). Going to the left side would totally work but then my wife would not shoot it as much or at all. She would have the same sort of problem as I would be experiencing with a right hand x95 - the possibly of brass in the face & gas in the face.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't use a suppressor and the only time either of my tavors have ever gassed me was at one of the bullpup shoots where they had an area where you could ride in the local swat teams armored truck and fire out the gunport. In that confined environment, I noticed some after a few shots. Regular indoor or outdoor range its never been a problem for me.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 12:20:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't use a suppressor and the only time either of my tavors have ever gassed me was at one of the bullpup shoots where they had an area where you could ride in the local swat teams armored truck and fire out the gunport. In that confined environment, I noticed some after a few shots. Regular indoor or outdoor range its never been a problem for me.
View Quote
Is your face next to the ejection port? Or is it on the opposite side of gun?
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#8]
No way I could have shot my X95 LH without converting to LH Bolt. I got my chin all cut up from brass just trying to sight in with it still set up for RH use!
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:13:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Is your face next to the ejection port? Or is it on the opposite side of gun?
View Quote
Opposite side. Next time I go shooting I'll do some weakside and video. But that may be a looooong time. School 5 days a week and then 12 hour shifts the other two has really destroyed my pew pew time.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 10:52:14 PM EDT
[#10]
There are some extended shell deflectors out there. I know they make them for the SAR, not sure about x95.

AJ
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't turkey neck it like many do an AR and you will be fine. Also try tilting the port down slightly. Then try combining those two things. It works.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't turkey neck it like many do an AR and you will be fine. Also try tilting the port down slightly. Then try combining those two things. It works.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#13]
My right handed (wrong sided) friends have shot my x95 left rifle with no issues.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My right handed (wrong sided) friends have shot my x95 left rifle with no issues.
View Quote
IWI X95 for the win.  Have .223 and 9mm.  .308 and 12ga next.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:37:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Well got a x95! Wont be able to shoot it till after xmas. Its a right handed gun. I was holding it and I think I'll be able to get away with shooting it fine the way it is. I'll try putting the red dot further back, square up my stance, and make sure I don't chicken neck it lol. When I shoot it in a bit I'll report back on my experience being a lefty shooting a righty x95.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I didn’t have any problems getting hit in the face with brass trying off hand shooting. Just an FYI, the ejection pattern will change slightly depending on what type of ammo you are using. Milspec 5.56 vs .weaker 5.56 or .223. The x95 was made to run on milspec loaded 5.56 so you shouldn’t have a problems shooting “off hand” and getting hit in the face with brass.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I would convert it to left handed and get a percival shell deflector for your wife so she doesn't get hit with brass...
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#18]
With a cheap deflector upgrade you can easily shoot it left handed without any brass problems.
The big problem shooting left handed is the gas in the face you get when you run and gun. The ejection port is literally in your face.
You won't notice it bench shooting, but once you start running and get your breathing rate up, it becomes a big pain in the ass inhaling all that cancer.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#19]
So here is the verdict...

To recap. I'm a left handed shooter. Shoot normal right handed ar15's left handed and have no problem.

Took new x95 out to the range today & a normal right handed ar15 to compare. I shot some where between 300-400 round with the x95 & a mag or two with the ar15. Using 223 PMC.
The x95 is a awesome gun by the way. Like the balance. Very compact. Shoots smoothly. I really like the gun.
I have the red dot pretty far back towards me. I squared up and shot it. A lot. lol

- I did not have any problem getting hit in the face with brass. It was hitting my hand some times or my shoulder. But that was not a big deal. It was because of the ammo i was using.
If I were to shot with my body slanted and head forward more I probably would get hit with brass. But with the way it was set up I had no problem at all.

- When shooting bench or casually. I did not have any problem with the gas.

- When shooting pretty aggressively (mag dumps, fast shooting drills etc) the gas gets pretty strong. Pop Pop Pop Pop... you end up with a cloud of gas in your face. To be fair. When I went "Pop Pop Pop Pop" with my ar-15 I also got a cloud of gas in my face.
It would become unconformable if you had to shoot a LOT over a extended period of time. Especially if you had to do that in the same spot (stationary). But its not really any worse then shooting ar-9 or a SBR 308 or SBR silenced when your left handed. You do NOT get the debris flying back in your face like you would with those other ones. In that respect the x95 is much better.

- When I shot in my off hand (shot like a normal right handed person). The gas was maybe 10-20% less. You still get gas in your face. That ejection port is right next to your face after all its just on the other side of some plastic & metal. But it was less gas. And my right eye actually burned from the gas. My eyes did NOT burn when shooting left handed.

I'll have to think about if I want to change it over to left handed or not.

- Summery -
- Bench, casual shooting, defense / hunting shooting... you could totally get away with shooting a normal right handed x95 left handed. You might want to wear a 3M N95 mask to practice fast drills to keep from breathing in the gas.
- Mag dumps, heavy shooting, competitions, classes... you would probably appreciate having the port swapped over. it does cut down on the gas bit. But when I shoot a right handed ar15 like that I get a cloud of gas in my face as well. Its just not quite as bad.

There was no wind while shooting. And I mostly shot in a stationary potions. With a bit of wind or if you were moving around more the gas would be less of a hassle...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top