Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/26/2018 10:29:13 PM EDT
I was at SHOT and got some info on the F90 / Arax:

-The F90 is being imported/assembled by DASAN, out of a mix of US, Australian, and South Korean components. Rifles at SHOT are marked "Duluth, Georgia" on the bolt.

-Trigger was quite good - single stage, ~7lbs, with virtually no creep (this was a sample of 1 rifle though.)

-The DASAN guy expected they would ship 2nd Quarter 2018, but this was not a "hard" date, just him sharing with a rando gun nerd at his booth.

-The display rifles did not have the integral shell deflector molded into the stock as seen in the F90 military version. This was a dissapointment and I hope/pray that they bring this feature back.

-DASAN is considering making the F90 "export" model that takes AR mags with the X95 style mag release, but this will likely be a few years from now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the intel. Glad I bought that $1700 STG77 instead of waiting, now I can start saving for it again.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the intel. Glad I bought that $1700 STG77 instead of waiting, now I can start saving for it again.
View Quote
Damn, where did you steal that from?
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Damn, where did you steal that from?
View Quote
A dealer who wanted it gone at the Tulsa show last Nov.  not sure Steyr will honor the hand written receipt for the rebate but the price couldn’t be resisted.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:11:07 PM EDT
[#4]
More info from TFB

Looks like the bolt carrier is the registered and serialized part. Hopefully barrel assemblies will be reasonably priced.

Looks like the shell deflector isn't molded in anymore but it looks like one can be clipped on via the slots in the ejection port.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Want
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Want
View Quote
Yes, in large quantities.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 2:50:26 AM EDT
[#7]
With the barrel being made in the US ,no export stock and parts being made in SK I’ve kind of lost interest in it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 4:27:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm looking forward to it. DASAN has been making firearms parts a long time, and they're working diligently to compete with S&T Motiv (formerly Daewoo), so they have plenty of incentive to produce nothing but the highest quality parts.

Do we know who's producing the US barrel?
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 6:03:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm looking forward to it. DASAN has been making firearms parts a long time, and they're working diligently to compete with S&T Motiv (formerly Daewoo), so they have plenty of incentive to produce nothing but the highest quality parts.

Do we know who's producing the US barrel?
View Quote
I agree, DASAN should have no problems making the F90 - really, nearly all of the gun is plastic anyway except for the bolt carrier group and barrel extension. Even the receiver of the F90 is polymer (the black area where the charging handle runs):

The real question for overall quality will be who makes the barrel, and whether its CHF and chrome lined. I'm hoping the barrel is made by FN like the AUG.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
With the barrel being made in the US ,no export stock and parts being made in SK I’ve kind of lost interest in it.
View Quote
Dasan makes OEM parts for a number of US companies.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they’re making their own barrels considering that they make barrels for many other companies.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sounds like someone doesn't know much about Dasan, let alone South Korea.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Turns out countries that keep much of their population under arms are pretty good at making weapons.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Turns out countries that keep much of their population under arms are pretty good at making weapons.
View Quote
Kinda sad when you think about it... Though it probably helps that North Korea is just one border away from the South, so they can't afford to make bad weapons.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
More info from TFB

Looks like the bolt carrier is the registered and serialized part. Hopefully barrel assemblies will be reasonably priced.
View Quote
Ugh. The bolt carrier is the serialized firearm? That’s a terrible idea. Also, if it accepts a standard AUG bolt group one could swap out the carrier and have a completely unserialized rifle.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Be quiet you.
It's a great idea.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 2:18:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ugh. The bolt carrier is the serialized firearm? That’s a terrible idea. Also, if it accepts a standard AUG bolt group one could swap out the carrier and have a completely unserialized rifle.
View Quote
Would you prefer it be the barrel? Because there's not much else on the rifle that could qualify.

It works just fine - I doubt you'll see many, if any, AUG carriers that have worn out. Considering that they run in a plastic stock.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Would you prefer it be the barrel? Because there's not much else on the rifle that could qualify.

It works just fine - I doubt you'll see many, if any, AUG carriers that have worn out. Considering that they run in a plastic stock.
View Quote
Would better to design an aluminum component that could qualify as a frame. Look at the FS2000. It has a tiny “receiver” into which the barrel installs.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Would better to design an aluminum component that could qualify as a frame. Look at the FS2000. It has a tiny “receiver” into which the barrel installs.
View Quote
So they should redesign the firearm?
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve owned a DR200 and several different SK mags can’t say any have really inspired a lot of confidence. No word on who is making the barrel.... like I said I don’t have much interest in it at this point.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 4:23:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I’ve owned a DR200 and several different SK mags can’t say any have really inspired a lot of confidence. No word on who is making the barrel.... like I said I don’t have much interest in it at this point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

KCI is different from Dasan.

Quoted:

The barrel does not disconnect like the original AUG.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:45:14 AM EDT
[#21]
They could just embed a steel serial number plate, like a Glock, into either of their plastic receiver halves. Oops, just read it has to be metal on TFB.

That said, I'm looking forward to a Atrax/AUG bolt carrier ghost gun!
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#22]
No integrated shell deflector is weak sauce. Why the change??....But looking at pics, it appears it may be a snap in part anyways?

Still holding out for a 20inch barreled version..preferably in the nasty tan color the Aussie's are using.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The barrel does not disconnect like the original AUG.
View Quote
Yes I’m aware of that. The FS2000 also lacks a QD/QA feature.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:08:46 AM EDT
[#24]
I will also have to unfortunately hold out for a 20 or 18” barreled version with the export/Nato stock in a tan/mud color.

The barrel change has basically become a barrel & chassis change that is no longer $500 or less.  Even if they offer like a $800+ barreled option in the future dont think that will be attractive to me.  It took me years to finally convince myself I seriously wanted my 16” AUG to grow to 20”

But I have to admit that does look great in the green stock.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:29:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I want the shortest barrel length offered (14.5") and it won't be growing unless it gains a sound suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:The barrel change has basically become a barrel & chassis change that is no longer $500 or less.
View Quote
How do you know that? The chassis is just some polymer pieces bolted together.

Plus, they've eliminated everyone's complaint about having to replace the serialized portion of the gun to change barrels.

And one can make a ghost gun with a simple bolt carrier swap

Everything looks promising to me.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Plus, they've eliminated everyone's complaint about having to replace the serialized portion of the gun to change barrels.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:The barrel change has basically become a barrel & chassis change that is no longer $500 or less.

Just from all the pictures I have seen.  I have yet to find a naked barrel  photo without any of the receiver parts.   I only see the center part of the chassis (pretty much the charging handle guide) if you call it that as polymer - and by all the pics I cannot tell if it is just two halves that clamshell the barrel assembly and bolt together.  It could be that slides down the barrel and is only bolted to the rail at the top to secure it.  You still have the pressed on trunnion on the rear & gas block assembly at the front.  I dont see anything quick or cheap about changing a barrel in that assembly.

I will still pick up one.  But I will hopefully hold out for something like below with ideally a slightly longer barrel & matching stockset.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yes I’m aware of that. The FS2000 also lacks a QD/QA feature.
View Quote
So then where else are they going to put the serial number?
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Saw these for $2000 preorder on Brownells. If that's what they are going to go for when they finally hit shelves, I'd pass and just get an AUG.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:15:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Saw these for $2000 preorder on Brownells. If that's what they are going to go for when they finally hit shelves, I'd pass and just get an AUG.
View Quote
what if I already have multiple AUGs?

Most of the people who will buy this want it because it's a unique firearm, not because it fills a hole in the collection.

I'm in for one for sure. Especially with the political winds blowing the way they are.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 3:33:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Most of the people who will buy this want it because it's a unique firearm, not because it fills a hole in the collection.

I'm in for one for sure. Especially with the political winds blowing the way they are.
View Quote
I want one for sure and I have 4+ AUGs. I do hope they're doing a 20in rifle version.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Yeah I preordered one last night after deciding that the Brownells preorder is probably more reliable than waiting on the one from Lithgow. Especially since DASAN seems to be taking the lead on marketing now.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#33]
So is the brownells pic correct? Does the production version have the integrated shell deflector?
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fair enough. The Desert Tech MDRs are also another option for those looking for something unique. If someone has multiple AUGs, then I don't see a problem with them going a different route
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I co7ldnt wait any longer so I bought a SCAR 16s. I’ve been crushing overtime so I should have the $$$$ for ATRAX by late May.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Joined the Brownells pre-order......

I assume they don't charge your card?
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 12:44:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Just from all the pictures I have seen.  I have yet to find a naked barrel  photo without any of the receiver parts.   I only see the center part of the chassis (pretty much the charging handle guide) if you call it that as polymer - and by all the pics I cannot tell if it is just two halves that clamshell the barrel assembly and bolt together.  It could be that slides down the barrel and is only bolted to the rail at the top to secure it.  You still have the pressed on trunnion on the rear & gas block assembly at the front.  I dont see anything quick or cheap about changing a barrel in that assembly.

I will still pick up one.  But I will hopefully hold out for something like below with ideally a slightly longer barrel & matching stockset.
http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/img_4018.jpg
View Quote
From everything I've read about it since it was announced, the bbl is actually pressed into the upper.

So the "QD" bbl claim is somewhat an exaggeration.  QD upper is probably more accurate.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
From everything I've read about it since it was announced, the bbl is actually pressed into the upper.

http://www.lithgowarms.com/wp-content/themes/alizee-la/images/f90/systems-integration-469x380.png

So the "QD" bbl claim is somewhat an exaggeration.  QD upper is probably more accurate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/img_4018.jpg

http://www.lithgowarms.com/wp-content/themes/alizee-la/images/f90/systems-integration-469x380.png

Makes more sense to me anyway.  Just like an AR.  Everything will already be zeroed when you swap.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#40]
This is my next rifle purchase.  I like how you can put the barrel out for easy cleaning.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This is my next rifle purchase.  I like how you can put the barrel out for easy cleaning.
View Quote
The AUG and ARX are equally easy, except that on those you only pull the barrel, not the entire assembly.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#42]
I really don't think it's a big deal either way. It's super easy to gain access to the barrel with either of them.

They had to redesign it to save weight when they added all those rails. That was the correct decision. I like the rails. If you don't want the rails, and aren't going to mount a 40mm launcher, then it offers nothing over the standard AUGs.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Is there any new information on the Atrax?
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#44]
This site was new to me:

https://atraxrifle.com/
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This site was new to me:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
This site was new to me:

Proudly powered by WordPress | Theme: Sydney by aThemes.
The ATRAX is scheduled to hit dealer shelves Fall 2017.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Still no brown/green Aussie color scheme, no 18”/20” options, actual Australian content unknown? Not knocking Dasan, I know who they are, but I wanted a Lithgow/Thales rifle within the limits of 922r.

No care anymore. Not sure why they want to compete directly with Steyr with a black 16” AUG-mag rifle.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:56:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Still no brown/green Aussie color scheme, no 18”/20” options, actual Australian content unknown? Not knocking Dasan, I know who they are, but I wanted a Lithgow/Thales rifle within the limits of 922r.

No care anymore. Not sure why they want to compete directly with Steyr with a black 16” AUG-mag rifle.
View Quote
FWIW, the Aussie's standard color for their EF88's is black. I do like the weird brown/tan/green colors though.

I'm still holding out for a 20in Atrax. But the Australians use 16in versions for their cavalry/similar units. But I also imagine 16in AUGs are by far the most popular barrel length/
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Update-

I spoke to the Dasan Rep yesterday at the NRA show.
They are targeting June 2018 for a release date of the Atrax.He said the ATF hasn’t fully approved the bolt carrier as the “registered part” of the gun and this is what has held up the release of the Atrax.
Per the Rep it will only have 10 Australian made parts on it. I was hoping for more but that’s not that big a deal
They had a tan stocked example on hand, the trigger was nice but not life changing also It had no shell deflector installed on it.
I will definitely pick one up once they become available.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Looks good, how does it feel?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top