Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2015 6:02:21 PM EDT
I've never removed the handguard on my IDF Tavor, and the armorer's manual
as well as numerous Youtube demonstrations recommend using loctite on
the screws when reattaching the handguard/forend.

I'm not keen on putting loctite on any part which I may choose
to remove/reattach periodically. Is this necessary? Will
my handguard come loose if I don't?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#1]
A drop or two of Blue Loctite (242) is never a bad idea on a screw that "could" back out. I've been using it for years on various applications. There are no issues removing the screws after-the-fact with a screw driver.
Just be sure to "never" use the Red Loctite (262), as it's semi-permanent. It requires heat to remove the screws.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#2]
This is what you want. Made for smaller screws.
Loctite 222
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A drop or two of Blue Loctite (242) is never a bad idea on a screw that "could" back out. I've been using it for years on various applications. There are no issues removing the screws after-the-fact with a screw driver.
Just be sure to "never" use the Red Loctite (262), as it's semi-permanent. It requires heat to remove the screws.
View Quote

Wouldn't it damage the screws to regularly loctite, then unscrew them?

I'm the type of guy who thoroughly disassembles and cleans his rifles each time I fire it.

Or, on the other hand, would it hurt to leave it non-loctited? Would it come off during rough use/handling?
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm the type of guy who thoroughly disassembles and cleans his rifles each time I fire it.

Or, on the other hand, would it hurt to leave it non-loctited? Would it come off during rough use/handling?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The purple is made for just this type of use. Frequent adjustments on smaller screws, typically a 1/4" or less in diameter. I've used it for years on everything, notably my Sig Sauer grips screws which at the time were notorious for loosening on they're own. I even use it on the screws that hold my pocket clips on my knives. No issues.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
This may be a better option. Haven't used it but hear good things.

http://www.vibra-tite.com/product-category/threadlockers/
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't imagine why you would remove the handguard after every range use. If you intend to do that, I would not bother with any thread locker at all.....just snug them down good.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:06:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I have no intention of removing the hand guard after every range use,
I just want the ability to remove it whenever I want to.

But you're right, I'm probably not going to use threadlocker unless I don't
plan on removing it for a while.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:53:48 AM EDT
[#9]
When you clean your weapons, double checking all screws is a no brainer. Thread locker has its place, but can play havoc with field maintenance. Know your weapon, it's not perfect and needs constant attention if you're going to be able to trust your life to it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top