Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2014 4:50:11 PM EDT
bought a new tavor and took it out to shoot it today and nothing. using lancer mags and federal 5.56 ammo. tried 12 different times and it was hitting the primer causing slight dents. tried the same ammo in my ar15 and no problems. nothing has been changed or tampered with on this.the trigger is factory. any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:08:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you take apart your BCG and inspect, clean, and lube before your first firing?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you take apart your BCG and inspect, clean, and lube before your first firing?
View Quote

I did do that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Firing pin installed right?

I don't know if it is possible to hook the firing pin on the wrong side of the ledge in the BCG, but maybe?  Or pin maybe upside down and binding?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you set the bolt down on the lip right? There's a funky not obvious way things go back together. Although I would guess it wouldn't work at all that way. Might be a possible issue worth looking at.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#5]
everything seems fine. guess ill cal iwi on monday and see what they have to say. i guess i should just stay away from guns i don't know.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Not normal.....

I would start with taking the bolt out & drop the firing pin thru the bolt and look / measure the firing pin protrusion at the bolt face.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Reread the instructions on disassembly/assembly. Take the bolt carrier out, disassemble and put it back together following instructions carefully.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I did do that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did do that.

sounds like you messed something up putting it back together. Mine ran 600+ rounds no issues from factory. Only had issues messing with a dysfunctional Timney trigger. Timney sent a replacement
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:37:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Very odd....

Especially when you consider that each TAVOR actually goes through QC twice....
once before they leave IWI in Israel and another  when IWI US makes them 922 compliant
for the US civilian market.

Not sure how many rounds are fired by IWI in Israel prior to being shipped to IWI US in PA
but I have seen a video where each Tavor has 15 rounds fired through them by IWI US on a 50 meter range
before they are cleaned, boxed and shipped...
The rifles actually go through an extensive QC process - TWICE, more so than a lot of other rifles out there.

Not saying a rifle could not have problems and if there was I know IWI would stand up to any warranty
Issues.....
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:50:16 PM EDT
[#10]
My firing pin spring is bigger at one end. The loop is bigger then the rest.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:19:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you remove the spring? Your manual's addendum specified not to do that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I spoke iwi and they said it was fine to remove. There sending me a new style spring. They said it would work without the spring it'd i wanted to try and fire it without it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh and no I didn't original remove the spring.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:19:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I spoke iwi and they said it was fine to remove. There sending me a new style spring. They said it would work without the spring it'd i wanted to try and fire it without it.
View Quote

Mine also has the captured style spring. I like it. But they switched back to the non captured because too many people weren't reading the instructions.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:53:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Mine also has the captured style spring. I like it. But they switched back to the non captured because too many people weren't reading the instructions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i guess i am one of them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:47:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd put money on that spring (damaged i'd assume) being the cause of your light primer strikes.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#17]
just an update, put in the new spring and it works great now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the update, glad to hear you got yours running.  The more I shoot my Tavor the more I like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top