Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2013 10:09:14 PM EDT
Looking around, it would seem the Troy Micros are about the only game in town to avoid too high a sighting plane, anything else out there?

Also, does anyone have experience with the 1.5x Steyr Optic, seems the prices on them have been reduced.  Any good?   More for collect-ability than anything else.  

However, it seems they were designed for the high rail?  If so, could I use a riser or better to get the high rail too for collect-ability purposes?   Or just stick my ACOG on it and call it done?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I run standard ar height troys. . Work great. . I have a perfect cheek pressure and eye alignment. . Not sure if the short troys would work as good.. But just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:28:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd like some of the Troy ones for mine. M4 front, aperture folding rear.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I run standard ar height troys. . Work great. . I have a perfect cheek pressure and eye alignment. . Not sure if the short troys would work as good.. But just my 2 cents
View Quote

Yep, according to the tacked thread, AR15 AUG & MSAR Rail Heights - the stock USA AUG A3 rail is only a bit higher than an AR15's receiver rail.

I use a set of MBUS Pro on my E4, which has a higher rail than the A3 and cheek weld/head position is just fine.  Heck, when I knuckle down on the stock too hard I feel brass whizzing past my cheek anyway.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:46:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have a rig to take a set of precision measurements, but my caliper appears to show only about a tenth of an inch difference in HOB between an AR and an AUG with A3 rail.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a set of micro troys.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#6]
well to avoid creating another thread, also curious about the 1.5x Steyr Optic, see my first post...
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
well to avoid creating another thread, also curious about the 1.5x Steyr Optic, see my first post...
View Quote

I don't have any experience on the Steyr 1.5x optics; but, it seems to me that the AUG is a very good platform for 1-4 or 1-6 power variable optics. I recently got a Norden Perfromance CRS 1-6X24mm and originally meant to install it on my AR. After seeing how it felt on my 20" AR I kinda frowned and said; "This optic feels like it should be on the AUG." I did shoot it on my AR today just to make sure it worked. When putting it on paper at 25 yards I was chewing single holes through the paper when grouping; however at 100, due to the wind moving my barrel around (I'm sure my temper at the wind had something to do with it as well. ) I could'nt do better than around 1.5 to 2.0 MOA. 200 yards benched yielded average results at 2.5-3.0 MOA on my first 3 shot group.

The ACOG will also work well, if that's all you've got in your spare optics inventory. It's fairly popular on a lot of weapons, bullpups included; but, I like how you can still take advantage of the bullpup's fast ergonomics when close up with a 1x scope. Then you can still dial it up to 4 or 6 power for a ranged shot, if need be.

I can't wait to try it on a bit calmer day with my AUG.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't have any experience on the Steyr 1.5x optics; but, it seems to me that the AUG is a very good platform for 1-4 or 1-6 power variable optics. I recently got a Norden Perfromance CRS 1-6X24mm and originally meant to install it on my AR. After seeing how it felt on my 20" AR I kinda frowned and said; "This optic feels like it should be on the AUG." I did shoot it on my AR today just to make sure it worked. When putting it on paper at 25 yards I was chewing single holes through the paper when grouping; however at 100, due to the wind moving my barrel around (I'm sure my temper at the wind had something to do with it as well. ) I could'nt do better than around 1.5 to 2.0 MOA. 200 yards benched yielded average results at 2.5-3.0 MOA on my first 3 shot group.

The ACOG will also work well, if that's all you've got in your spare optics inventory. It's fairly popular on a lot of weapons, bullpups included; but, I like how you can still take advantage of the bullpup's fast ergonomics when close up with a 1x scope. Then you can still dial it up to 4 or 6 power for a ranged shot, if need be.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a 1.5X ACOG.....
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Also, does anyone have experience with the 1.5x Steyr Optic, seems the prices on them have been reduced. Any good? More for collect-ability than anything else.

However, it seems they were designed for the high rail? If so, could I use a riser or better to get the high rail too for collect-ability purposes? Or just stick my ACOG on it and call it done?
View Quote

The prices are down on the A3 optic because they are being phased out for replacement with something else.

They are good, yes.

With EVERYTHING AUG related, prices will never go down. Every item that Steyr has ever sold in the US has appreciated in value.

They are designed for the high rail, I am currently looking for a high rail (if you have one, let me know)...
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BUT, can you dial that 1.5x ACOG up to 4 or 6 power for more ranged/precision engagements?

You could wait for the VCOG to come out, but I bet the price tag on it is going to make an ACOG look modest.

I have a 1.5 ACOG in the safe as a backup in case I need an optic on something RFN, but I never use it as a normal use optic. Tried it and didn't really like how the 1.5 power was a bit slower at close range, and wasn't great at distance either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top