Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 11/8/2023 8:37:29 AM EDT
Got my Garmin Xero C1 in last week and took it to the range this past weekend.

MY Thoughts....
It's tiny, as in it easily fits in my pants pocket... with the tripod attached.
Insanely easy to setup and use. Just turn it on, set it beside your rifle and start a session (like 3 button pushes)... that's it.
It never dropped/missed a shot out of probably 200+ all morning.
I used it for almost 3 hours straight and only used about 30% of the battery.
Uses a standard USB-C charging cable and doesn't take very long to charge.
It doesn't need a case or anything, it just goes in my range bag and takes up about the same space as a 30 round PMAG.

It's made my Magnetospeed obsolete overnight. Never using that thing again.

Only thing I’d tweak at this point would be possibly having more customizable main display options for seeing the shot string in real time vs. having to go into sub screens with button pushes. This is 100% a low priority nit pick though.

It's basically what we all have wanted in a chronograph and then some. It's an amazing device. I'll be chono-ing everything now!!!

-ZA
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#2]
What does this setup typically cost?
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
What does this setup typically cost?
View Quote

MSRP is $599
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 3:19:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll add my two cents.  I've been using chronographs since the late 70s.  

First one was an Oehler Model 12.  It had a dial and a yes/no meter.  You turned the dial to get a reading then looked that reading up in a reference booklet for fps.  I liked it because it had sky screens instead of having to shoot through paper with a conductive element in it.

Next was a PACT model 1.  Used it for years with no problems.  All the way up until I got my LabRadar.

The LabRadar was mostly great.  The switchology on the panel was not intuitive.  Neither was the app.  The Bluetooth connection was flaky and intermittent.  Other than that no complaints and I got lots of info from it.  It was like a sail on the tripod and I was always concerned about it blowing over in the NV winds.

When the Garmin was announced I knew I had to have one and snagged one from Bass Pro.

I've had it out a couple of times now and it works great.  Just point it downrange, start a new session and shoot.  Pretty easy to figure out the controls.  No problems with the Bluetooth connection to the app.  Easy to export shooting strings from the app as spreadsheet files via email to your computer.

I like it.

Link Posted: 11/9/2023 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#5]
So is the LR obsolete now?
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
View Quote

YES!
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#8]
My labradar is going on the EE this week

Labradar setup for decent functionality vs. what's needed for the Garmin

Image above is from the big thread over on snipershide
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/garmin-xero-c1-pro-chronograph.7189898/

Some earlier thireads here
GD - https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/New-toy-release-Garmin-Xero-C1-Pro-Chronograph/5-2680996/
GD - https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Neat-Garmin-has-introduced-a-new-chronograph/5-2681013/
Reloading - https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Garmin-doppler-chronograph/42-547417/

guntuber shill reviews
X-Ring
The Garmin XERO C1 Pro chronograph #Garmin,#Area419

Area419
GARMIN Xero C1 Pro | BEST chronograph ever!?

BorderBattleMunitions
Velocity Comparison - Garmin Xero C1 Pro vs Magnetospeed vs Labradar

Covertnoob5
Garmin Xero C1 Chronograph vs Labradar In depth review

works great even when used incorrectly
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#10]
It is hilarious that in the space of about 6 months Garmin will have eaten all of LabRadar's market share and much of MagnetoSpeeds.

In another year no one will even remember LabRadar existed.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Now I want one.

Thank you gentlemen!
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 11:42:09 PM EDT
[#12]
My traditional chrono worked terrible inside so I'm anxious to see reports from an indoor range (where i doubt folks would even realize you had it).
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 8:02:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By rippr334:
My traditional chrono worked terrible inside so I'm anxious to see reports from an indoor range (where i doubt folks would even realize you had it).
View Quote

I've used mine at an indoor 50 yard range and it worked fine.  It only picked up my shots, didn't miss any.  The only thing I don't like about it is the way the software update works.  I missed several shots once because it wanted to update while I was shooting.  It was during load development, and I was behind my scope shooting.  I didn't look up for a few shots, and when I did it had stopped reading the shots, wanting to update.  Hopefully, one of the updates will make it where it quits trying to update during a shooting session.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jwlaxton:

I've used mine at an indoor 50 yard range and it worked fine.  It only picked up my shots, didn't miss any.  The only thing I don't like about it is the way the software update works.  I missed several shots once because it wanted to update while I was shooting.  It was during load development, and I was behind my scope shooting.  I didn't look up for a few shots, and when I did it had stopped reading the shots, wanting to update.  Hopefully, one of the updates will make it where it quits trying to update during a shooting session.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@jwlaxton

To confirm, you have used your Garmin chrono inside and it missed some shots due to it trying to perform an update?
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

@jwlaxton

To confirm, you have used your Garmin chrono inside and it missed some shots due to it trying to perform an update?
View Quote

I've used it inside with no issues.  The problem with the update has nothing to do with inside vs outside.  When you want to chronograph something, within the menu you start a shooting session.  You can pause it to use less battery life if you stop shooting for a few minutes, or you can end it if you are done.  The update problem is that while you are in a shooting session, it prompts you to update and waits for a response.  If you're focused on the target, you may not notice it, and miss readings.  It's not a major issue, just a nuisance.  Since it is new, I suppose there are more updates.  Hopefully, they will modify the update functionality to not prompt you, while you are in a shooting session.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 2:50:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I've used it inside with no issues.  The problem with the update has nothing to do with inside vs outside.  When you want to chronograph something, within the menu you start a shooting session.  You can pause it to use less battery life if you stop shooting for a few minutes, or you can end it if you are done.  The update problem is that while you are in a shooting session, it prompts you to update and waits for a response.  If you're focused on the target, you may not notice it, and miss readings.  It's not a major issue, just a nuisance.  Since it is new, I suppose there are more updates.  Hopefully, they will modify the update functionality to not prompt you, while you are in a shooting session.
View Quote

That would be a PITA to have pop up in the middle of a session.

Does the Garmin hard wire to a PC to update or is there an SD card?
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 8:45:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#17]

View All Quotes

@jwlaxton

Thanks for the clarification. I presume it has wifi onboard to allow the unit to "know" there are available updates? Seems odd that it would ask if you wanted to update something unless it's talking to the internet by some means.

Wonder if there's a way to disable whatever that feature is, if it does have wifi or bluetooth that's always looking for updates, in order to save battery life and not interrupt data collection during a string of fire.

ETA: it says it has bluetooth and a phone or tablet-based app. I'm guessing if you have the app and the chrono is bluetoothing with your phone it can learn about updates over the air.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 8:46:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#18]
Originally Posted By Blowout:

View All Quotes

Or does it have wifi or bluetooth capability? Seems odd that it would randomly ask if you wanted to download an update if it's not being told by Garmin HQ that there's an update available.

ETA: it says it has bluetooth and a phone or tablet-based app. I'm guessing if you have the app and the chrono is bluetoothing with your phone it can learn about updates over the air.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 9:00:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Or does it have wifi or bluetooth capability? Seems odd that it would randomly ask if you wanted to download an update if it's not being told by Garmin HQ that there's an update available.

View Quote

I connect it to my phone with bluetooth, so that is how it gets the updates.  I frequently have multiple things I want to chronograph, and after I finish each session I e-mail it to myself as a .csv file to save in a spreadsheet.  Since you can't connect it to a PC and pull the data, it's easier to e-mail them as you go.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#20]

I connect it to my phone with bluetooth, so that is how it gets the updates.  I frequently have multiple things I want to chronograph, and after I finish each session I e-mail it to myself as a .csv file to save in a spreadsheet.  Since you can't connect it to a PC and pull the data, it's easier to e-mail them as you go.
View Quote

And the app also allows for storing/reviewing the data as well. I’ve yet to clear out my list, as I’m curious to see how many files I can store before it becomes an issue.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I very much want one of these to replace my chrony chronograph that's been shit several times (height over bore gets me)
I like size, shape, and it's apparent accurate readings

Now to afford one...

Keep reports coming gents and lady gents
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

And the app also allows for storing/reviewing the data as well. I’ve yet to clear out my list, as I’m curious to see how many files I can store before it becomes an issue.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:

I could probably add notes and use the phone app for records, but am in the habit of keeping a spreadsheet for each cartridge I reload, with load data and chono results for different firearms, along with other pertinent information.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:20:34 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

It's possible to directly pull data off the Garmin via USB, but the files are in FIT binary format and need to be converted to csv
Garmin has a java tool to do it locally (FitCSV) and there are various websites that will also do the conversion for you

If you're on a mac you can use Shortcuts, Automator, or Hazel to automagically import/process/save the data to csv

Link Posted: 11/15/2023 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By stiglitz_actual:

It's possible to directly pull data off the Garmin via USB, but the files are in FIT binary format and need to be converted to csv
Garmin has a java tool to do it locally (FitCSV) and there are various websites that will also do the conversion for you

If you're on a mac you can use Shortcuts, Automator, or Hazel to automagically import/process/save the data to csv

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stiglitz_actual:

Good to know, Thanks!!
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 2:26:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottyPotty] [#25]
I have a xero back ordered from pew pew and I decided to go ahead and sell the Labradar....ended up trading it for a nice AR10...but anyway the Labradar worked great and it was a game changer for ease of use and reliable performance.  I still have the old chrony but haven't used it in a long time.

So I sold mine for a few reasons:

The first issue was the app.  It works well enough, but just leaves you wanting a bit more.  It could be easier to use.

Second was the Bluetooth dropping out, it would randomly drop out, and I'd have to reconnect.  Not every time but sometimes...it still keeps on recording shots, but seeing them in the app required restarting the Bluetooth.

Third was the size.  It was fine when there were no other options, but now we have options....it was reportedly fragile but thankfully I never tested that.  

Fourth was remembering how to use it.  The app is easier to use, but if you to manually push buttons it wasn't easy to remember.  Note: Arm and disarm was easy to use/remember

Fifth is the memory card.  Getting to the range only to discover you left it in your computer.  Thankfully it still works and does have some kind of internal memory but it's just something else to remember.

I ran rechargeable AA batteries in mine, but also had a battery pack.  I could run as long as long as wanted and most the time ran out of ammo before the batteries died.  But I mostly used it for reloading/testing new rounds.

So for me it was just wanting to try something new.  The Labradar worked fine and overall I was happy with it.  But it was just missing a little refinement and it was only a matter of time before someone would come along and build a better mouse trap.  I think its a bit early to say the garmin is better, but it seems to have the potential to really take a big chuck of the Labradar's market.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I ordered a small case to store and haul mine to the range.  I was going to order a bigger one to include a battery pack but have since figured a out a battery pack is not required.  Battery life is excellent.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 4:13:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By ScottyPotty:
... it was reportedly fragile but thankfully I never tested that.  
View Quote

Actually, you did test it and got a favorable outcome.  

Labradar has one feature that makes it unique, a feature I would miss if it were missing - it records velocity at multiple distances down range.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

Labradar has one feature that makes it unique, a feature I would miss if it were missing - it records velocity at multiple distances down range.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ScottyPotty:
... it was reportedly fragile but thankfully I never tested that.  

Does the Garmin not provide downrange velocity readings? I haven't done much research into its features, so apologies if this has been covered by Garmin on their website already.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:08:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Does the Garmin not provide downrange velocity readings? I haven't done much research into its features, so apologies if this has been covered by Garmin on their website already.
View Quote

No, it does not provide downrange velocity readings.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

This is the ONLY thing that my LabRadar has over my Garmin.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:31:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By CKyleC:

This is the ONLY thing that my LabRadar has over my Garmin.
View Quote

I'm also curious if anyone has used it 1) on a busy range and/or 2) suppressed.

One problem I had with the LR initially was it wouldn't pick up suppressed fire. It would also pick up neighboring fire at the range.

I built a recoil activated microphone and it has been flawless since.

I'm wondering if the garmin is capable of integrating a recoil activated switch?

Is it radar activated or microphone?
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:52:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stiglitz_actual] [#32]

View Quote

At least with my 2020-era labradar this only works to about 100yd

Originally Posted By drfroglegs:

One problem I had with the LR initially was it wouldn't pick up suppressed fire. It would also pick up neighboring fire at the range.

I'm wondering if the garmin is capable of integrating a recoil activated switch?

View Quote

Have tested my Xero indoor & outdoor on multi-lane ranges with various guns including 5.56, suppressed 9mm, .300blk, and even .22 with no issues picking up shots or erroneous readings from other lanes

Believe the Xero is constant-on radar and triggered that way unlike the labradar

Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:

View Quote

I've used it shooting suppressed, and on a busy 50 yard indoor range.  It only picked up my shots.  It seems to use the radar to detect the shots.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Middlelength:
It is hilarious that in the space of about 6 months Garmin will have eaten all of LabRadar's market share and much of MagnetoSpeeds.

In another year no one will even remember LabRadar existed.
View Quote

Its still a ton better than a chronograph but that’s likely true.  They sat on their asses and this thing just craps all over them on nearly all fronts.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#35]

I've used it shooting suppressed, and on a busy 50 yard indoor range.  It only picked up my shots.  It seems to use the radar to detect the shots.
View Quote

Sweet. Thanks.

Might have to throw my LR on Facebook marketplace.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Looks like there are 2 ways to update the SW. I normally use Express with my Garmin devices using a cable connection.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 5:15:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jwlaxton] [#37]

Looks like there are 2 ways to update the SW. I normally use Express with my Garmin devices using a cable connection.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/375214/Xero_C1_SW_PNG-3030925.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/375214/Xero_C1_SW_PNG-3030925.JPG

I know how to update it both ways.  When I'm shooting, I usually also have my phone out and connected.  My problem is that I don't want it to prompt me to update while I have an active shooting session in progress.  I'm sure the updates will slow down the longer it is on the market, and it will be less of an issue.  Hopefully they modify the software, so it won't prompt you to update while the Xero C1 is in an active shooting session.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#38]
I know how to update it both ways.  When I'm shooting, I usually also have my phone out and connected.  My problem is that I don't want it to prompt me to update while I have an active shooting session in progress.  I'm sure the updates will slow down the longer it is on the market, and it will be less of an issue.  Hopefully they modify the software, so it won't prompt you to update while the Xero C1 is in an active shooting session.
View Quote

I understand your dilemma...

As a workaround, suppose you could turn off wifi and cellular data on your phone while shooting so the app doesn't get notified? Keeping BT on of course.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

A radar guy on snipershide said that bases on the emitted power and antenna gain, the Garmin won’t be able to detect the projectiles as far downrange so you probably won’t be able to measure drag via the Labrabaco method.

I have a Labradar and magnetospeed and ordered a garmin. I really doubt i will use the LR or MS much in the future.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 1:52:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#40]
Originally Posted By ZA206:

YES!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ZA206:

YES!

Mostly but not quite.  A LR stores a more complete data set, which allows BC calculations, and other manipulation.

But really, aside from that, there is almost no reason buy a LR over the Garmin today, as the Garmin is obviously much more modernized.  And likely has more reliable triggering.  If I could even straight up trade my LR for a Garmin, I probably would.  

I can't say there's a lot of reason to dump an existing LR to switch, at a loss though.

I will say, shame on LabRadar.  They sat on their haunches for years riding their monopoly,  with no product improvements or price decreases.  They left the door wide open for someone to finally eat their lunch.  Amd frankly, shame on RCBS/dillon/Hornady for not being the ones, and instead letting a GPS mapping company be the one.  Though, in fairness. It was likely easiest for Garmin, who has the economy of scale and people on staff with titles like "Chip Foundry Relations Manager" already, and who basically banged this out as another day in the office.  Also, props to Garmin, someone in the development team and someone at the Stage-Gate sign-off level, is obviously a shooter.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Works with 22?

Subsonic/supressed?

We had trouble with these items using a buddies LABRADAR the other day.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Colt_sporter:
Works with 22?

Subsonic/supressed?

We had trouble with these items using a buddies LABRADAR the other day.
View Quote

When I first got mine I tested it with a 10-22.  Worked fine.  

I think it triggers with doppler.  As I recall the instructions said it needs a minimum bullet travel of 20 yards.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Does it report out the distance at which the speed was measured?

That first 25 or 50 yards is usually a significant drop (-50 to -100 fps) from the muzzle velocity, especially for supersonic projectiles.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Does it report out the distance at which the speed was measured?

That first 25 or 50 yards is usually a significant drop (-50 to -100 fps) from the muzzle velocity, especially for supersonic projectiles.
View Quote

I believe it's able to compute muzzle velocity.  The velocities the Garmin comes up with, compared to my LabRadar, are almost identical.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#45]
The only complaint I have with mine - no option for power factor calculation.

I don't really care about energy.

That said all other aspects it's a fabulous product.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 10:15:59 PM EDT
[#46]
What's involved with setup?
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#47]
What's involved with setup?
View Quote

Nothing.  Set it up, turn it on, select pistol or rifle and the velocity range.  Graphic on screen tells you roughly where to put your muzzle.

Blast away.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:06:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ACDer] [#48]
12 dollar Apache case from Harbor Freight works great.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 11:47:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ACDer:
12 dollar Apache case from Harbor Freight works great.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69887/20231119_080452_jpg-3032772.JPG
View Quote

Damn man you forced me to go to Harbor Freight!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/19/2023 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:
The only complaint I have with mine - no option for power factor calculation.

I don't really care about energy.

That said all other aspects it's a fabulous product.
View Quote

If you configure it to prompt for projectile weight, then export a .csv the muzzle energy and power factor is included.  I don't know if you can make it show on the screen, because I like the default and haven't tried to change it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top