Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2020 4:01:24 PM EDT
It's once fired; so actually 6X reloaded brass.

I loaded it light to moderate and don't see any bulge whatsoever.

I use an aftermarket barrel that's better supported because I'm paranoid, plus I'm using coated lead Bullets . Also I'm asking here, because I'm paranoid; because of Glocks history of Kabooms.

If this were any other caliber than .40, I wouldn't give it much thought.....
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#1]
sure unless they were really hot loads.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly, if you are worried about it, don't shoot it. Plain and simple.

Pistol brass is very cheap, or free. Get some more and scrap the old stuff.

That being said, I would shoot it if it was a target load. I load my 9MM down to "barely cycles the slide" pressures and would never bother to count brass firings.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honestly, if you are worried about it, don't shoot it. Plain and simple.

Pistol brass is very cheap, or free. Get some more and scrap the old stuff.

That being said, I would shoot it if it was a target load. I load my 9MM down to "barely cycles the slide" pressures and would never bother to count brass firings.
View Quote
I'm a little concerned but it just may.be me being paranoid for nothing.

I've been using 6.4 grains Unique or 6 7 grains Power Pistol; using a 155 grain coated bullets.

Very much on the lighter side.

I use brass catchers and count my firings because I'm anal that way.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
sure unless they were really hot loads.
View Quote
As already stated, no hot loads.

I did have one piece of brass out of 100 have a split mouth, while seating the bullet; that I replaced with a fresh case.

Primer pockets are still reasonably tight and no bulges or signs of case head separation; that I can detect visually.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Shoot it!
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Reload them till they split.  I have forty cases with over a dozen reloads on them.  I have 45acp with several dozen reloads on them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#7]
We have Gen2 and Gen3 G23's and feed them exclusively reloads unless we take a class that requires factory rounds. Only use pick up brass to reload. Never counted the number of reloads the cases have been through, but I do check to make sure none are damaged each time they are loaded. They get loaded at just below or at max load from the manual. Nothing over max.

I went to a bulge buster because some had begun to bulge or pick up cases were bulged. I push through size after FL sizing on all 40sw reloads now.

I just flare the mouth of the case just enough to get the bullet started and that has pretty much eliminated split mouth brass. We shoot lead through these G23's too and just clean the barrels good every time they are shot.

That said, if your OCD paranoid and your accuracy suffers because your expecting a boom, then get some more brass. Check out the EE. There should be some 40 there reasonably priced.

I've had the G2 G23 for over 25 years and still use some of the same brass from when I first bought it. Just added more brass over the years.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's something to keep in mind and it's pretty much universal.

Pay attention to how much force it takes to resize the casing after firing. Yes it does take a good deal of loading experience to establish a feel but try it.

The more force it takes, all else being equal, means the more the brass is being worked. Brass that is worked more has a shorter life than brass that is worked less.

The amount a work required can vary depending on pressure as already mentioned or simply chamber size.

If you have a rifle or pistol with a generously sized chamber and can't help but size to normal specs, you could see reduced case life regardless of how light your loads are.

I load for at least 3 .308 Win, and 3 6.5mm Creedmoor rifles. Using the same ammo and method you can tell slight differences in resizing force. There is no doubt that the difference is specific firearm related.

So if you have relatively little effort in sizing I'd say you have a pretty good chance for long case life. Of course with bottle neck cases you always have to deal with neck splits but that's where annealing comes in.

Motor
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies.

I don't need much force to resize at all. I actually need more force to resize 9MM.

I feel better now and will continue to use this brass with confidence.

I haven't gotten any bulge whatsoever yet but I do have a bulge buster just in case.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 11:33:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

I don't need much force to resize at all. I actually need more force to resize 9MM.

I feel better now and will continue to use this brass with confidence.

I haven't gotten any bulge whatsoever yet but I do have a bulge buster just in case.
View Quote
Coat tailing off motor1's input some... If you regularly push through size as part of your reloading process, it doesn't take much to pull the handle. If you wait until a bulge is  noticeable, the handle pull will be much greater. Its one reason I push through size every time a case is loaded.

You can ditch the plastic bottle and attach a 5/8" hose from the top of the die and the other end into a bucket to catch the cases.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 11:40:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Double tap
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I shot it today without incident.

Going to reload it again for next time.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm now up to 8X loaded.

I'm tumbling the brass now. Should I keep going or pitch it?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Decided to go for it.

Brass still looks good.

I ran all cases through the bulge buster again.

No split mouths, primer pockets still tight and nothing to indicate case head separation.

Seating the bullet seemed a little easier on account of reduced case mouth tension.

I've loaded this batch of brass light for it's entire useage and am now experimenting with even lighter loads.

Next load is half 5.7 grains Unique and 5 grains Bullseye.

Bullet is 155 grain Precision Coated Bullet, seated to 1.125 COL Primer is Winchester.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I run auto pistol brass until it splits. Finding a split 40 case is like finding a four leaf clover.

I have loaded thousands of 40 range brass with moly lead bullets for a G35 with an unsupported chamber. I have gone several thousand rounds with no more cleaning of the bore than an occasional dry patch. According to some people that is past grenade territory, more like a waiting nuke bomb.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top