Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2018 8:21:40 PM EDT
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caldwell-Black-Adjustable-Rifle-Picatinny-Rail-Brass-Mesh-Bag-Catcher-530143/372348534533?epid=2164132631&hash=item56b1b3bf05:g:E~UAAOSwwcda6HI2:sc:USPSFirstClass!18030!US!-1

I'm using a universal one with my Ar's now but it's not that great.

Is this one any good?

If not, any recommendations?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I love mine. I use it on my ARs. No more chasing expensive 458S or 6.5G brass.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a cheap generic one that was terrible. This one works great. I bought extra rails and use it on most of my stuff.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Love it got a few of them for different AR's.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#4]
If my gun has a rail on the receiver, it has the base on it as well. I can adjust it fore and aft as needed to align with the ejection port. Only need one and just move it from gun to gun as needed. They work better than anything else I have found. And when at the range or a match, I'm not flinging hot brass on adjacent shooters. They appreciate that a lot.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I like mine a lot.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I looked at getting one and ended up getting a custom cast USA brass catcher. The guy making them has been super nice and has been working with me on modifiying it to work on my M11. They are sold on Etsy for $25 or so. He has a website too.

Link Posted: 10/31/2018 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok. You guys convinced me. I'm going to buy one.

I really appreciate all of the responses. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#8]
The one you have listed is pretty good, I have one sitting in my reloading room.

This one is a step up...  I am currently running this one

https://www.tacticalbrassrecovery.com/ar15-ar10-platform-brass-recovery-bag-standard-issue/
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:09:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had the hard case type and the Caldwell all net version works better at not dinging up brass.

I would end up adding padding to the backside of the hard case to absorb the impact to reduce dinged brass. The hard plastic was also nosier than the netting type.

I picked the Caldwell rail version up on sale at Amazon for $25.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:23:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a couple of the Caldwell brass catchers, I have mounts on most rifle I shoot a lot. My oldest one has a few holes burnt in the mesh, I guess it is time to replace it. I have the oldest adjusted to fit on AR15's, the other adjusted for AR10's. Need to start watching for them on sale.

My oldest one is 5-6 years old.

They even work better with a flat side upper.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I have one and a rail mount for every AR I own. They work great
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Good to hear the rail mounts get good reviews.  I have the older style velcro strapped models, and they're marginally useful.  If you're sitting still at the bench, and shooting less than 20 rds at a time, they're ok.  After 20 they begin to sag, and they wobble around too much to run and gun.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#13]
The only issue I've had with mine is sometimes they interfere with your scope of you aren't running a dot it something small. Taller rings help give clearance to the mount, then you also need some wiggle room for the bag to slide into the mount.

This issue isn't necessarily a knock on the product it just is what it is
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only issue I've had with mine is sometimes they interfere with your scope of you aren't running a dot it something small. Taller rings help give clearance to the mount, then you also need some wiggle room for the bag to slide into the mount.

View Quote
This was my issue on my scoped AR. I made an extension out of flat aluminum stock that puts the clip section in a different spot. Outside the basket if I remember correctly. I can take a picture if you like when I get home.

Otherwise I love mine. I need to order a couple extra bases to just leave on my rifles.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#15]
One of the best upgrades for the AR, put a rail on each gun (hopefully in the same location) and you can use it if you want or not.

Only trouble I’ve had was I wore a hole in mine where the brass hits, I zip tied a chunk of leather where the hole was and it works fine again.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Had a Caldwell, it didn't hold up very well for me.   Fine for going to the range .... but was too flimsy to hold up for hunting (particularly coyote/prairie dog'in.....casing, uncasing, in and out of vehicles a lot, had worn or burnt holes in no time, flat top hook up gizmo's didn't  play well with all scope mounts and extra's were expensive for what they are (and required tiny allen wrenches if I recall correctly), bag sag would cause jams if you weren't paying attention, not a lot of brass capacity so brass would want to fall out the top if you laid the rifle down and weren't careful, etc.

After wasting money on catchers that didn't work for me for one reason or another....I found one that works great....its a TBR.   You can knock the gun around and it stays put, it has good capacity, you can safety check chamber or visually check chamber, or insert safety plug, etc ..... all without taking it off, it works = brass doesn't jam, and you can leave it on the gun and case the rifle (it folds), all ya need is a side picatinny rail on the hand guard.  If you don't have a side rail, all you have to do is tap two holes in just about any guard and buy a short slot rail (think Magpul) for under $10 assuming if you don't have a hand guard with rails already...put a rail on every AR and you are gtg).

When I started buying them they were $85, looks like they don't sell the screw mounted models the originals had and have went to a quick detach model upgraded (and that would be a nice upgrade over mine)...at around $125.   They also have various other types that work with other rifles and mount positions.   Again, we use these while hunting in situations when we are in and out of the vehicles a lot, they stay on the rifle the whole time, in and out of gun cases if that is what your state requires or whatever, and they work great...have about 1/2 dozen people in the yote crew using the cheapest model they sell.

AR Platform short fram throw lever

Again, you can look around on the site for a different style, or mounting solution, if you don't like the one I linked.   The distance to your side rail determines if you want the long or short model.

Yes, at over $100 they are more expensive....but sometimes you get what you pay for.   We beat the ones I own to death, and they just work.

If you are pretty much simply shooting at the range, and the Caldwell mount works with your scope mount, the one I am recommending is overkill = the Caldwell is fine.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#17]
The rail brass catcher has never worked with any of my optics. The Velcro model works great for me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the one that sits on the bench.  It has hoops that disconnect so you can fold it up and put it in your range bag.  It can also be mounted on a stand if desired.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I have that one and dont use it much. It's too big to fit under the scope of my AR308.

I bought the Operator Mid Length from Tactical Brass Recovery to use on my AR308 and my AR15's.
It's pricey, but it works great. I dont use the Caldwell brass catcher and gave it to a buddy of mine.
I went with the "Operator" version so I could move and shoot for drills and not lose brass. It worked perfectly.

ETA - Just like greenheadcaller said. Same company, I use a different model.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the velcro one but the metal frame broke through the material and marred the anodizing off my SLR rail . I bought the rail mount and it didnt work on 2 rifles where my optics mounted so I modified the mount to be outside the bag instead of inside. It mounts on the first slot of the rail instead of the receiver now. Maybe this easy mod will help someone who has one with similar issues that cant use it now they have it.

I took the bag off the frame.

Had some flat stock aluminum and shaped it to fit the width of the flat keeper part and recessed rail part long enough to extend outside the frame, drilled/tapped 4 holes to match each piece of the catcher brackets.

The flat keeper part went inside screwed to the aluminum attaching it to the frame, the rail mount now is outside mounted to the aluminum (the rail mount gets screwed on after the bag is back on.

Cut and melted a slit in the bag to slide over the aluminum bar and screwed on the rail holder, and finished installing the bag.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Tend to favor the Velcro type that lock on to the forearm.  The don't take up much room to keep it in your carry bag, and don't protrude off the side of the rifle that far as well.

Here you go, and the price is right.

https://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CDW122231&ref=PLA&omid=103&utm_source=GooglePLA&utm_medium=CSE&utm_item=CDW122231&CAWELAID=230005120001854109&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI--zBs6u03gIVibfACh34owzBEAQYBiABEgKv-fD_BwE
View Quote
Does it cause jams? My velcro one shifts and does and or allows brass to excape.

I ordered the Picatinny rail version to try.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I have one. I wish the locking detents were a little bigger or more positive locking.

Works fine on AR15s but my AR10 will knock it off after about 20 rds.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wish the locking detents were a little bigger or more positive locking.
View Quote
This.  I have one for my only pic rail AR, and use it at the range just so I don't lose brass.  It could easily be detached accidentally if not just on a bench, however.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I threw a couple of those away and one was a Caldwell.  Then I built a deflector out of Kydex and a Picatinny sling hook that directs my brass down into a cardboard box on the bench and it has never once slipped out of position or had the netting melted by hot brass (cause there ain't none).

Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I've had that happen too.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#27]
The velcro model would jam up my rifle if it held more than five or so pieces of brass.

The rail mounted one works okay.  I ordered extra mounting pads, so I can more easily use one catcher on multiple rifles.

I wish the catcher would attach more securely to the pad.  It comes off too easily.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#28]
My only gripe is for $35 for a made in China part...
Including a 2nd mount would be very nice.

I noticed with blackout a few drop out, but if I close the dust cover, install the catcher, then charge it, the dust cover bridges the small gape.

Thanks for the reminder! Need to order another mount.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I have one and like it for my AR. I leave the bottom zipper unzipped and put a small flat box under the bag. Hot brass drops right in to the box.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I can only tell you that the kind that Velcro around the receiver do not work well. Mine either misses 50% or the brass, or it blocks it and causes a jam. Getting it in the right position is key, but the Velcro strap always wants to rotate.

This looks like a superior design.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:35:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine works great on my 458.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:39:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I can only tell you that the kind that Velcro around the receiver do not work well. Mine either misses 50% or the brass, or it blocks it and causes a jam. Getting it in the right position is key, but the Velcro strap always wants to rotate.

View Quote
This is exactly my experience with the Velcro one I've been using.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#33]
I used to work with a guy that designed and patented a rigid brass catcher that had a movable arm system to allow for use with optics mounts, however I can't remember his name.  I'd see him occasionally at local gun shows selling his catchers.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I tried a big net catcher as well as the Caldwell and one other. I don’t remember the brand. Melting, jams and lack of access to the breech made me uncomfortable. Add the change of balance of having something strapped to the side of my weapon and it was a “no go.” I realized the majority of the brass that I wanted to catch was on the bench. I can afford to lose a few rounds on the rare occasion that I am not there. I fell on a solution a trip or two after I abandoned my brass catchers and went to the range without them.

I use several range bags that I buy for less than ten bucks each. They are heavy duty and have a wire mouth and have a higher melting point than the temp of my ejected brass. I simply turned one up on it’s side and positioned it about six inches away from my weapon right in the ejection path. A box of shells or anything heavy keeps it in place in a wind. It doesn’t touch anything and holds about 200 rounds before it needs to be dumped.

Short version is $9 and it doesn’t touch the weapon. I usually have several on any range trip. I hope that a different option helps clarify your options. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Had this issue until I removed the bag and sawed off that portion of the rail.  Works better and can slide under the newer larger scope caps/adjuster.

Have this on all my scoped ARs, and some bolts.  Very handy in the snow or tall grass.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#36]
A free no-frills way to contain your brass is to drape a kitchen towel over the scope, which stops the case's outward momentum and causes it to fall onto the bench and into your cardboard box.  It does double duty wiping sweat out of your eyes.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A free no-frills way to contain your brass is to drape a kitchen towel over the scope, which stops the case's outward momentum and causes it to fall onto the bench and into your cardboard box.  It does double duty wiping sweat out of your eyes.
View Quote
I'll have to try that.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyway, my brass catcher arrived today.

Biuod quality seems decent; with the exception of the mesh being very flimsy.

I can see hot brass melting a hole through it in no time.

I'm going to have to line the inside of the bag with something.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Must have gone with the Caldwell and not the TBR?
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:53:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Must have gone with the Caldwell and not the TBR?
View Quote
Yep.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top