Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2015 10:01:31 PM EDT
Anybody successfully reloading this calibre with 9x19mm dies? I read that .38 Super dies can also work. The RCBS 9mm Largo specific dies are probably going to cost around $200 to $250 over here, if I can even manage to order them.

The ammunition will be for a Destroyer carbine.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I want to say use the common 38 Super die set..  Use a 9mm taper die to crimp.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:57:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm using 38 Super dies.  No problems so far.  I load for a Destroyer Carbine and an Astra 400.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#3]
9mm Luger dies should work fine.  The neck and base diameters are virtually the same from the resources I find on the web (Wikipedia), within .001" of an inch, which is closer than 38 Super dies will get you.

The Largo and 9X23 Winchester are nearly identical twins, and most companies recommend 9mm Luger dies to load the 9X23. Dillon told me to use 9mm Luger dies for the 9X23, which I do. So 9mm dies ought to be ideal for the Largo.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
9mm Luger dies should work fine.  The neck and base diameters are virtually the same from the resources I find on the web (Wikipedia), within .001" of an inch, which is closer than 38 Super dies will get you.

The Largo and 9X23 Winchester are nearly identical twins, and most companies recommend 9mm Luger dies to load the 9X23. Dillon told me to use 9mm Luger dies for the 9X23, which I do. So 9mm dies ought to be ideal for the Largo.
View Quote

This.  

38 Super is a STRAIGHT WALLED cartridge:

9x23mm Winchester uses a TAPERED WALL case, as does 9x19mm (aka 9mm Luger) and 9mm Largo.

I just used 9x23mm Winchester dies from RCBS.  For brass, anything close to 23mm works for me once its run through the 9x23mm die.  But you should stick to:

-9mm Largo brass (of course)

-9x23mm Winchester brass (it has less case capacity; reduce charge accordingly)

-Starline brand 9mm Supercomp

Your Destroyer carbine is fairly strong (though it certainly is not equivalent to a Mauser rifle action).  Still, reloading should be easy.

In my case, I load for an old 1921 Astra 400 blow-back pistol; these are notorious for having cracked slides (likely due to use of sub-machinegun ammo).  So I used the mild data published in the Speer manual.

I won't quote a charge, as I don't recall exactly.  But I believe I used 124 grn FMJ bullets and Winchester 231 powder.

Kindly post a range report if you would not mind.  

D.

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I use standard RCBS 9mm Luger dies. They're marked 9mm Luger/9x21/9x23 on the box. I've run over a thousand handloads through Star Super Modelo As and a Llama Extra with no problems.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks again.

I'll be shopping for dies at the local RCBS stockist tomorrow!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kindly post a range report if you would not mind.  
View Quote

Will do.

Might take a few months depending on how long it takes to receive brass. On the plus side, that should give me time to order some Lapua or Sierra bullets from Europe, unless they are once again available in pistol cal here these days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top