Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 5:17:24 PM EDT
Anyone using standard, non magnum Tula/Wolf primers with H335 and .223?  Ive used them with my .30 carbine loads with good results.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#1]
My son uses H335, Tula small rifle primers and 62 grain FMJ bullets for his plinking rounds for his 20" AR15.  No issues, its pretty accurate, too.  Same ammo shoots good groups in his Savage varmint rifle, too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I have loaded a herd of them for my AR's using Ram Shot Tac as the powder. Always had good results..Still have a case of them in the closet for my next .223 loading marathon.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I only use the 5.56m or 223m (m = magnum designation) Russian primers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used them with 52s through 77s for match loads.

With H335, I used 25.0gr and 52gr bthp. This was a 100 yard reduced course load.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#5]
M1A4ME, NIGLA, and AR-180, are you using regular small rifle or the magnum ones. the magnum's have an "m" at the end of the part #. I asked a very similar question a couple weeks ago and have been watching topics concerning these primers. I'd really like to see the part # that everyone is using.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#6]
kvb-5,56m and kvb-223m are the magnum primers. I believe the standard primers are kvb-223
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info. Ive read a few posts about non magnum
TulaWolf primers not igniting H335 worth a shit. I'm curremtly
hoarding my CCI-41's for a rainy day..
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It's my understanding that the standard primers shouldn't be loaded hot. Whether this is true, I haven't any first hand experience. Some have gone as far as comparing them to Remington 6.5 primers which should never be used in .223.

What I can say is ALL Russian primers need to be seated firmly to the bottom of the primer pocket. Lots of people have reported misfires if they don't firmly seat these primers when loading. I would be willing to bet that they ignite H335 just fine if they are seated firmly.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:09:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
kvb-5,56m and kvb-223m are the magnum primers. I believe the standard primers are kvb-223
View Quote

This is correct
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's my understanding that the standard primers shouldn't be loaded hot. Whether this is true, I haven't any first hand experience. Some have gone as far as comparing them to Remington 6.5 primers which should never be used in .223.

What I can say is ALL Russian primers need to be seated firmly to the bottom of the primer pocket. Lots of people have reported misfires if they don't firmly seat these primers when loading. I would be willing to bet that they ignite H335 just fine if they are seated firmly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard the same but would like to hear from people with first hand experience.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I've run a couple thousand rounds with the KVB-223 primer and H335.  Not a single issue.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#12]
We're not using the magnum primers.

I've used H334, H322, BLC2, Win 748 and Win760, AA1680, AA2200, and TAC with standard primers.  Never any issues.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:51:28 PM EDT
[#13]
This is good to know. I have 2k sitting in my closet.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've heard the same but would like to hear from people with first hand experience.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've loaded over 6,000 of the Russian  "m" marked primers and made damn sure they were firmly seated in each case. I have never had a misfire or hangfire using Russian primers, lots of other people have reported experiencing this problem when using them. Just seat them firmly and they should work fine.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Let me add this to maybe help anyone with Wolf/Tula primers.

I recently bought 9K of KVB-223EM (magnum lead-free) from Midway when they were on close-out special.  For positive sure, they give me very brief hangfires with WW748 and WC846 in .223 cases at least 50% of the time.  They also give me brief hangfires in 300BLK with H110 and WW296 about 50% of the time.  They do not give me hangfires with Bullseye in 300BLK or IMR4895 in .223.  I will use them up in my Bullseye light subsonic frangible bullet loads in the 300BLK (giving very nice accuracy BTW), but will NEVER buy anymore of them.  While they ignited my IMR4895 .223 loads, they caused the group size to double over the CCI #41's I normally use in that application.  

KVB-223M has NEVER given me a hangfire in any caliber with H110, WW748, WC846, Bullseye, WW231, or Unique.  I have gotten 1-3% failures to fire when using them in a Handi Rifle, Remington M700, and Remington Model 7.  I believe they are too hard for those 3 rifles.  I've now switched to using CCI #400 in those rifles with no more failures to fire.  When I switched to the CCI's, the accuracy remained the same; 1 rifle needed a couple of clicks to get it sighted back in at 100yd; 2 rifles remained sighted in as-is.  

I use the KVB-223 in 30 carbine with WW296 with NO hangfires.  I use the KVB-223 in 300BLK with Bullseye, Unique, WW231, and moderate loads (not full pressure loads) of H110 with NO hangfires.  I bought the KVB-223's from a friend at a fire-sale price because he said they gave him hangfires and even failures to ignite WW748 in .223 cases enough to go bang, but no problems when using IMR4895 in 223 cases.  I've never tried the KVB-223 in the .223, so I can't comment on that application.

The factory primer part numbers (such as KVB-223) will be on the outside of the cardboard box containing 5 1000 count boxes of primers, but not necessarily on the 100 or 1000 count boxes of primers.  The 100 or 1000 count boxes of primers will have differing primer names on them FOR THE SAME FACTORY PRIMER PART NUMBER.  This sometimes results in sellers to calling the primers different names FOR THE SAME FACTORY PRIMER PART NUMBERS.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I've used about 1K of the KVB556M with 25grs H335 under various 55gr fmjbt and no problems.

Confident in that primer enough that it's now my go to for H335 loads. In middle of bulk 6,000

round load session, all KVB556M and H335. If that primer has problems, I'll be hurting in a big way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top