Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2014 3:44:39 PM EDT
Got my CTS Pro 600 power trimmer in the mail today! Initial inspection reveals a very nice attention to detail and quality build. I've only got one picture of it as having challenges with the camera. I won't be able to try this out until the weekend and then will provide an beginners rifle brass trimmer review. The trimmer comes with two caliber inserts for the trimmer and two head space gauges.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been looking for something like this, time to google that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Ouch, $415
Think I'll pass
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ouch, $415
Think I'll pass
View Quote

That's Giraud money.

OP, I'd like to hear your opinion on why you chose this over the Giraud?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#4]
So is it cutting with a end mill and you then have to hit the other 2 ststions to debur and chamfer ?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's Giraud money.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ouch, $415
Think I'll pass

That's Giraud money.

Paid $365 for it plus tax, I chose this over the Giraud as it has the powered station and Lyman bits for pocket reaming and cleaning and two caliber inserts in addition to the trimmer, chamfer and debur stations. I do realize with the Giraud you chamfer/debur while trimming.

I had read some reviews for their non-powered trimmer units compared to the Possum Hollow ones and was looking at those when I decided to go the powered route. The chance to try something new/different in the market as appealed to me as well not having to wait the rumored 3 month wait for the Giraud.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So is it cutting with a end mill and you then have to hit the other 2 ststions to debur and chamfer ?
View Quote

Sorry don't know how to multi-quote.

Yes, cutting with the end mill and then have to hit the other two stations for chamfer and debur.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, cutting with the end mill and then have to hit the other two stations for chamfer and debur.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you over take the top off would love to see inside pics
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:10:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Alright, had some time to start learning how to prep rifle brass with my new CTS Pro 600. I’ve only reloaded pistol for the last several years so this is all new to me.  The unit is well built and comes with a 7’6” power cord with an on/off switch mounted on the side. It has rubber feet that do a great job of eliminating vibration. There is also a cooling inlet fan with guard on the bottom of the unit.

The unit is 5.5” high to the top, not counting the attachments, 9.5” long and 6.25” deep. The additional prep tools are Lyman model# 7777800 which includes the gold handles. The bits not being used thread right into the base of the unit which is a nice touch. These run off a secondary drive at a different RPM than the cutter. I’ve got a decibel meter at work I will bring home tomorrow and see how loud it actually is.

There are two caliber case inserts included that come with lock rings. Not sure what the case inserts are made of probably a Delrin or UHMW type plastic. I ordered the 308 and 223 with mine. There are also two headspace gauges included made of same type of material.
Set up was fairly straight forward with just having to adjust the insert to the depth needed to trim to the desired length and then tighten down the lock ring. The carbide cutter makes quick work and the chamfer/deburr and primer pocket reamer work just as well.  I need to work on getting the feel for the pocket reamer so I don’t take too much material. Other than that it’s working on getting a rhythm and system down so I can cruise through the process.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#10]
That looks like a REALLY nice set up!
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:30:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
On the primer pocket reamer, how is the stop set so you don't over ream?

Or am I not seeing it in the pic?
View Quote

It's just the reamer bit and has no adjustment for a stop other than the depth of the bit. I will get a pic of it tonight after work.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:22:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
On the primer pocket reamer, how is the stop set so you don't over ream?

Or am I not seeing it in the pic?
View Quote

Here is a close up of the reamer bit, no adjustment just the stepped portion that I think would prevent you from removing too much by bottoming out.

Regarding the sound level, I need to get the appropriate batteries for the meter so I won't have the decibel level until tomorrow.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Been considering one of these for a while now.
While I'd love to pick up a Giraud, I already have a Trim Mate to do de-crimping duties, which I'd need to keep, vs selling it locally for some cash back and 'only' needing the CTS 600 for trim + de-crimping...further widening the price difference vs a Giraud, not to mention being in stock and ready to ship (doesn't hurt).

In for more details/additional review.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like a nice piece of gear. The chip collection cups appear to be doing their job quite nicely.

About how many pieces of brass do you think you will prep before becoming fatigued?

jonblack
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:59:43 AM EDT
[#17]
They are not a stock item. I cancelled my order with CTS after one month of waiting. For the $400 I was spending, I got on the Giraud list.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:24:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a Giraud that I purchased several years ago and have the case holders for 30.06, .308 and most recently .223 and I somehow got talked into getting the cutter head for .223 by the nice lady on the phone when ordering the .223 case holder (guess I'm a sucker) but it kinda made sense after she explained that I would not have to readjust the cutter switching between the two plus I am a sucker for tools, I have never owned any other power trimmer other than the Giraud and started life hand trimming on a Lyman manual and have never regretted my purchase since the day I turned it on, as far as Reaming pockets I do that by hand while watching TV

I am sure there are less expensive trimmers than Giraud or the CTS Pro 600 but it's really about what we can afford and what we are wanting the piece of equipment to do.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Is the grey case metal or plastic?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looks like a nice piece of gear. The chip collection cups appear to be doing their job quite nicely.

About how many pieces of brass do you think you will prep before becoming fatigued?

jonblack
View Quote

I would imagine I can do just as much as any other power trimmer set up once I get a smooth routine down. I don't think knocking out 1K in one sitting will be much of a chore.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They are not a stock item. I cancelled my order with CTS after one month of waiting. For the $400 I was spending, I got on the Giraud list.
View Quote

Mine also took a month and I was getting updates from Jim. He stated they were overwhelmed and surprised with the response and number of orders. When looking at the state of everything related to reloading I'm not worked up over the month.

Hell I couldn't even find a Hornady quick change powder measure linkage in stock from any retailer. Luckily I found one for sale privately. Most of the places said out of stock for 3 months!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is the grey case metal or plastic?
View Quote

I gotta figure out how to do multi-quotes

The case seems to be a quality heavy duty plastic vs. some of the thin cheap stuff. I think it will hold up well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top