Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2013 8:50:44 PM EDT
who uses it?  I'm ready to step up from a single stage but I'm turned off by the complexity of changing out calibers on the dillions and I want to be able to use standard dies.

how do you like it?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#1]
All of my Dillons but the SDB used regular dies. Never played with the RCBS but would like to from the feed back of a few guys here
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:16:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:20:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a Pro 2000.  Mine is still set up as a manual advance machine, there was no option when I bought mine.

I would buy another without hesitation.

View Quote

I have an Ammomaster and decided to go with Dillion the next go round because of the priming just did work right, has your 2000 had any problem with high primers?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:13:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Ive run probably 12,000 rounds through my Pro 2000 and love it. It does take some time to get it set up so you know what the hell is going on with every pull of the handle if you've never progressively reloaded before. Once you get the hang of it its great. Every error I've ever heard of or guys that say it sucks either dont read the manual, or dont pay attention to what they're doing.

The APS primer strips are awesome. WAAAAAY faster than tubing them one by one. Again, you have to take a few extra minutes to figure out how to reliably load them, but 25 at a time kicks the shit out of poping 1 into a tube at a time. Feeding them thru the mechanism isnt 100%, especially if theyre used strips. No matter, pop the old one out and shove a new one in, half cycle the handle and you're in business.

Changing calibers is easy as changing the shell plate, changing die plate, and adjusting powder measure. It adjusts just like a hand throw one, you will have to change the spacers or the height of the hopper if you go from rifle to pistol.

Set your dies carefully the first time and you never have to touch them again. Lest bullet seater if you change boolit.

I would get a star wheel for each shell plate you have so you dont have to mess with changing them every time.

My biggest problem with it...I run out of brass too quickly.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:42:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ive run probably 12,000 rounds through my Pro 2000 and love it. It does take some time to get it set up so you know what the hell is going on with every pull of the handle if you've never progressively reloaded before. Once you get the hang of it its great. Every error I've ever heard of or guys that say it sucks either dont read the manual, or dont pay attention to what they're doing.

The APS primer strips are awesome. WAAAAAY faster than tubing them one by one. Again, you have to take a few extra minutes to figure out how to reliably load them, but 25 at a time kicks the shit out of poping 1 into a tube at a time. Feeding them thru the mechanism isnt 100%, especially if theyre used strips. No matter, pop the old one out and shove a new one in, half cycle the handle and you're in business.

Changing calibers is easy as changing the shell plate, changing die plate, and adjusting powder measure. It adjusts just like a hand throw one, you will have to change the spacers or the height of the hopper if you go from rifle to pistol.

Set your dies carefully the first time and you never have to touch them again. Lest bullet seater if you change boolit.

I would get a star wheel for each shell plate you have so you dont have to mess with changing them every time.

My biggest problem with it...I run out of brass too quickly.
View Quote

Completely agree, and...  Mine is an auto index.  Getting the little pawl set up right the first time and getting the advance to work is the only really challenge I remember.  IIRC, the instructions were a bit vague, but after a little studying of how it works, I've had no problems since.

I think I have 10,500+ on it now across multiple calibers - 9mm, .38/.357, .40, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .223, .308, 30-06 - I bought die holders for each caliber which makes caliber swaps a breeze.  LOVE the APS priming system.  When I first started, I was mainly loading priming strips (the few that came with the machine).  It was easy & fast.  Last fall, I made a major primer purchase and bought all pre-loaded strips.  If anything, now I have enough empty strips to last a lifetime for when I want to go back to refilling them.

If you haven't already, search for threads here (and elsewhere) by GWhis.  He is a master of the Pro 2000, and he has a number of mods that he's done to take it further.  I'm sure he'll be along soon!

I think RCBS does themselves and their customers a huge disservice by not marketing this thing better.  Also, most people on the interwebs don't bother to write much unless its a complaint.  You'll find very few complaints about this thing.  But, RCBS has every bit as good of a warranty as Dillon - maybe better.  I think it just gets used less because people have fewer problems and there are less issues :).  I know I've fubar'd stuff (my fault), tried to buy the replacement part from RCBS and they sent a replacement free.

Ask any specific questions you may have...
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:15:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Speaking of waranty, if a part ever wears out or breaks, email or call RCBS and theyll ship you a new one for free. They've done this with my Trim Pro case trimmer for the primer crimp removers after they went dull really fast and repeated dremel sharpen jobs by me. I got a Rockchucker second hand that was missing the primer arm, they shipped that to me for free. I even told them the circumstance and asked how much, they only asked for my shipping address.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:16:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I run two of them here, and am very happy with them.  IMO, you can't beat the APS priming system.  I've been doing a bunch of loading on a Dillon, and while it's also a great machine, I sure do miss my APS primer strips.

The only downside to the Pro2000 is it's lack of an available case feeder.  But it's superior priming system, combined with the fastest, easiest caliber change-over in the industry, makes it a winner in my book.

Unlike others who are simply blinded by brand loyalty, or some need to justify their decision by telling you what they have is the best out there, I have both green (RCBS Pro2K), red (Hornady LnL), and blue (Dillon 1050) on my bench.  All are great presses, and all have advantages/disadvantages when compared.  No one press is perfect for all jobs.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:57:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I may have pick one up after my next PCS
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I just bought a used one on Saturday.  I just bolted it to the bench last night.  Now I have to figure it out.  Being a noob, I am waiting for my reloading books to arrive.  It seems like a well built and easy to operate unit.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes!

I do love my Pro 2000, but that doesn't mean it's perfect.....even Dillon 1050's aren't perfect.....but it'll will reward the user with its simplicity in many ways.  Easy to learn, easy to run, easy to change calibers, and easy to customize to fit you.  That's what all my "mod" posts were all about....to demonstrate how easy it is to tweak and modify to fit your style.

Mod posts:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/258520_Read__First___useful_threads_for_answering_questions.html&page=1#i2526501

As for its lack of a factory case feeder (which still seems to put off some), I say it more than makes up for it with the beautiful APS primer system, and if you want feeders buy RCBS's or Hornady's bullet feeders if you have the cash.....or lacking that, just make "$28 tube bullet feeders" and/or a simple, efficient H.M. case feeder like I did (cost $50).

BTW.....This Review by Peter Eick is the reason I looked at the Pro 2000 seriously....and eventually bought it 5 years ago.  Peter is past 300,000 loaded now and still going strong.  He still reports very little down time, no constant calibrating.....you just keep it clean and load.  For pistol loading Peter is the Pro 2000 guru not me.  I just like to make things for it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 8:34:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
who uses it?  I'm ready to step up from a single stage but I'm turned off by the complexity of changing out calibers on the dillions and I want to be able to use standard dies.

how do you like it?
View Quote

If you thing changing calibers on a Dillon is hard, you are in for a rude awakening.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you thing changing calibers on a Dillon is hard, you are in for a rude awakening.
View Quote

What are you implying?

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What are you implying?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you implying?

Changing calibers on the RCBS is not a walk in the park.

Both have shell plates and die holders so that is kind of a wash.

The Dillon caliber change is fairly simple especially if you don't change priming sizes or if you have the second priming kit.

Changing the APS priming system is at least equally complicated as changing the Dillon.

I guess what I am getting at is once you get used to it neither will be bad but learning the tricks are not always easy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Changing the APS priming system is at least equally complicated as changing the Dillon.
View Quote

Where are you getting this from?  It LITERALLY takes me 10 seconds to change my Pro 2000 from large primer to small.  You unscrew the large primer plug from the press, and you screw in the small primer plug.  That's it.  Done.  One part.

I know plenty of people who own two XL650's, SIMPLY because they don't like the hassle of changing priming systems.  Why would that be, if it were no more complicated than changing the system on the Pro 2000?  It IS more complicated - even if you spend the extra money to buy an additional priming system, to save time on the changes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Where are you getting this from?  It LITERALLY takes me 10 seconds to change my Pro 2000 from large primer to small.  You unscrew the large primer plug from the press, and you screw in the small primer plug.  That's it.  Done.  One part.

I know plenty of people who own two XL650's, SIMPLY because they don't like the hassle of changing priming systems.  Why would that be, if it were no more complicated than changing the system on the Pro 2000?  It IS more complicated - even if you spend the extra money to buy an additional priming system, to save time on the changes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not trying to fan boy any press manufacturer here. I kinda like them all.

I just think they all have different complications on caliber changes but the difficulty levels are pretty equal, even if different costs/parts are involved.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#17]
After almost 30 years of single stage loading my wife bought me a pro 2000 this summer .  It was easy to set up and I ran a box 10mm to test it out .  I am looking forward to high volume .223 loading

once I figure out what my AR likes .  A friend bought one at the same time and had to get a few parts replaced on his .
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I backordered a Pro2000 from Sinclair during their Black Friday sale.  $528 shipped.  Got the shipping email today, much sooner than I had hoped.  I was expecting springtime.

Easy caliber changes and the APS priming system sold me on it.  Really looking forward to trying it out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:20:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Changing the primer system on a Pro 2000 is the equivalent of unscrewing the lid from a soda bottle & screwing another one back on (ok - smaller size though).  Seriously.  Unscrew one piece, replace it with another.  

I'd hope that people commenting in this thread would speak from experience.  I have a Pro 2000; I've never used a Dillon so you won't see me make a comparison.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This.  Changing the primer system on a Pro 2000 is the equivalent of unscrewing the lid from a soda bottle & screwing another one back on (ok - smaller size though).  Seriously.  Unscrew one piece, replace it with another.  

I'd hope that people commenting in this thread would speak from experience.  I have a Pro 2000; I've never used a Dillon so you won't see me make a comparison.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is exactly the same for the Dillon if you have the kit, a little more effort if you do a manual conversion. Again, that is my point, the conversions are not that different on the complexity level.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It is exactly the same for the Dillon if you have the kit, a little more effort if you do a manual conversion. Again, that is my point, the conversions are not that different on the complexity level.
View Quote

I'm sorry, but that's just not accurate.  It is NOT "exactly the same".  Even if you bought the extra priming system for $81, you still have to:

1.  Remove the large primer plug
2.  Install the small primer plug
3.  Disconnect the failsafe rod
4.  Remove the two bolts holding the priming system to the press
5.  Remove the large priming system
6.  Replace the small priming system
7.  Replace the two bolts securing the priming system to the press
8.  Reconnect the failsafe rod

And that's only if you spent the extra money to buy another priming system.  As it comes out of the box, there's at least another half-dozen steps - not to mention the tedious part about emptying out the old primers.  You know how you clear the old primers out of the Pro 2000 APS system?  You raise the ram half-way, and you pull out the primer strip.

Look, I get the fact that you're a Dillon fan.  I am, as well - my recent Super 1050 has been the best press I've ever owned.  But you're just not being honest when you're trying to justify your 650, as being "just as easy" to change calibers as a Pro 2000 - not to mention COMPLETELY inaccurate when you first implied to the OP that if he thought changing calibers on a 650 was hard, he was in for a rude awakening when he received his Pro 2000.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#22]
The key to all this back and forth is this:  We are using the machines we have because we like 'em and it works for us.  Simple.  I use a couple 550's, so primer size changes is not an issue, but when there was only one it was really pretty easy.  If you are challenged with this and feel it's complicated, it only takes a few times to make it easy.  A learning curve with all machines, but the early Hornady and RCBS units were awful finicky.  I am pleased that guys are using loading machines to shoot more and we can have discussions about our loads and tricks for more enjoyable time in our hobby.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm sorry, but that's just not accurate.  It is NOT "exactly the same".  Even if you bought the extra priming system for $81, you still have to:

And that's only if you spent the extra money to buy another priming system.  As it comes out of the box, there's at least another half-dozen steps - not to mention the tedious part about emptying out the old primers.  You know how you clear the old primers out of the Pro 2000 APS system?  You raise the ram half-way, and you pull out the primer strip.

Look, I get the fact that you're a Dillon fan.  I am, as well - my recent Super 1050 has been the best press I've ever owned.  But you're just not being honest when you're trying to justify your 650, as being "just as easy" to change calibers as a Pro 2000 - not to mention COMPLETELY inaccurate when you first implied to the OP that if he thought changing calibers on a 650 was hard, he was in for a rude awakening when he received his Pro 2000.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck it, Whatever, I am done.

OP, just don't expect the RCBS to be super simple.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#25]
System Message
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Look, we don't really need to rely on the Conduct Code to enforce behavior in Reloading, the standards of behavior here were set down at least 14 years ago and they exist out of mutual agreement, whether it's explicitly spoken or written here.  One of those ideas is that we discuss and argue with respect.

Now, in this case an unnecessary comment was made that added nothing to the discussion.  Or the argument about switch overs on the Pro 2000.

No one gets more frustrated than I do some times, and some times I can't hide it, but I try to restrain my comments.  Think before hitting the submit button; there are other places where that is good advice, and I've been known to sit on an email overnight before sending it off.

Also, it's better to simply leave a thread than let it get under your skin.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Relock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top