Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2013 4:05:55 PM EDT
Ok, so per my lee data book.  minimum COAL should be 2.250. Ok got that... However, I just measured a few Hornady factory rounds and they measured on avg 2.237 COAL. They are the steel match. is this why the COAL is less than the minimum stated in my book? Curious to know.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#1]
2.25 is max COAL for AR15 magazine use. If an accuracy node is found at a shorter COAL then no harm in loading to shorter lengths (within reason).
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I load mine @ 2.230 because that's the longest length that runs well in all my mags.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#3]
OAL is measuring case bottom to the tip of the bullet.  For this reason, and the cheap(er) 55gr FMJBT they use in the steel "match", you may be measuring inconsistent OAL.  Measuring from the bullet ogive is a much better depiction of where the bullet will be positioned.

As mentioned above, OAL is important for magazine length, but not necessarily important for accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#4]
2.26 will run in most mags, but you have to take into account variances in bullets and cases for commercial ammo.  You can measure each round.  They cant so they set up with room to spare so they are always in under max.  I set up for 2.25" but measure some up to 2.255".  As long as none exceed the 2.255" I leave my seating die alone.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2.26 will run in most mags, but you have to take into account variances in bullets and cases for commercial ammo.  You can measure each round.  They cant so they set up with room to spare so they are always in under max.  I set up for 2.25" but measure some up to 2.255".  As long as none exceed the 2.255" I leave my seating die alone.
View Quote

Good stuff! I set my seating die a few moments ago. I am getting between 2.2495 to 2.251. this was will 5 consecutive rounds. I imagine the variance is due to the bullet variances due to manufacturing.

I'm a newbie, so I just want to be certain. This is my first time loading anything other than 55 gr fmj
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Good stuff! I set my seating die a few moments ago. I am getting between 2.2495 to 2.251. this was will 5 consecutive rounds. I imagine the variance is due to the bullet variances due to manufacturing.

I'm a newbie, so I just want to be certain. This is my first time loading anything other than 55 gr fmj
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am also new and have set my seating die to avg right at 2.250" with SS109 bullets. So far the 200 rounds of my reloads I have shot have run with no issues in Pmags and Gi mags. I have some 77gr match kings I am going to try next chance I get to sit down and load some up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:53:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ok, so per my lee data book.  minimum COAL should be 2.250. Ok got that... However, I just measured a few Hornady factory rounds and they measured on avg 2.237 COAL. They are the steel match. is this why the COAL is less than the minimum stated in my book? Curious to know.
View Quote

Forget what Lee says about OAL it means absolutely nothing to the handloader.

Things you need to know about OAL.

In an AR-15 Max mag length is 2.260.  You can load longer than 2.260 if you wish, but you will be loading single-shot and you will increase pressure.

Seating shorter than 2.260 is perfectly acceptable within reason (don't seat past the Ogive).

Seating deeper decreases pressure, seating longer increases pressure.  

Seat the bullet deep enough for adequate neck tension.  An often used "rule-of-thumb" is seat at least one bullet diameter into the case.  In a 223 that would mean .224 inches of bullet is seated into the case neck.  Not written in stone, just a rule-of-thumb.

Some manuals don't even list the OAL tested it is that un-important.

OH, and one more thing.  What Hornady 75gr bullet do you plan to load?  If it is the A-Max, it cannot be loaded to mag length (2.260) and must be loaded single-shot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:16:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am also new and have set my seating die to avg right at 2.250" with SS109 bullets. So far the 200 rounds of my reloads I have shot have run with no issues in Pmags and Gi mags. I have some 77gr match kings I am going to try next chance I get to sit down and load some up.
View Quote

SS109s have a TOTALLY different Ogive than other bullets.  Your setting on your seating die is only good for that bullet.  It will need to be backed out for SMKs.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:44:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:05:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
FWIW, I load the Hornady 75's to 2.240, but have loaded them shorter in the past.  I think the Hornady factory match stuff I used to have was loaded to 2.235 or so.
View Quote

Which Hornady 75's?  They make two the BTHP and the A-Max.  Hornady states that the A-Max should be loaded much longer than Mag length and should be loaded single-shot if used in an AR.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:30:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

SS109s have a TOTALLY different Ogive than other bullets.  Your setting on your seating die is only good for that bullet.  It will need to be backed out for SMKs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I already figured that out. Just putting the bullets side by side on the bench and the diff is very plain to see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top