Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2013 4:56:40 PM EDT
Can i use Berry's plated bullets in my son's Glock 19? I know you are not supposed to shoot straight lead bullets in them but am wondering if its ok to load up some 9mm with Berry's plated bullets for his Glock. Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I do, except for a 40.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Work fine for me if you use the appropriate load data and keep velocities in the recommended range....
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.  I shoot the 124gr HP, so quit buying em all already.

Heed the previous post, and don't overdrive.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Sure you can, but unfortunately it will still shoot like a glock.

shit just got real! Sorry, I had too...
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#5]
That's all I load for my 40 glock.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, or Raniers, etc. Plated bullets are fine in a Glock. Have used them in my 19 and 21 for a number of years with no issues.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sure you can, but unfortunately it will still shoot like a glock.

shit just got real! Sorry, I had too...

If you mean every time you pull the trigger it goes bang then you are correct.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I use Frontier plated 165gr .40 cal bullets for my Glock 22
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#10]
You're suppose to use the load data of lead when determining how to shoot plated. In other words, the plating is so thin it is essentially lead. I can't imagine a scenario where is it not ok to shoot plated vs lead. <- correct me if I'm wrong?
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 7:01:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I have used them in 9mm....  I just wish I could find more of them
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have used them in 9mm....  I just wish I could find more of them

Watch Powder Valley. They seem to get shipments from Berry's quite often.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You're suppose to use the load data of lead when determining how to shoot plated. In other words, the plating is so thin it is essentially lead. I can't imagine a scenario where is it not ok to shoot plated vs lead. <- correct me if I'm wrong?

This...I've been using Berry's for a number of years now.  I always use the book data for lead bullets.  Never had any problems with Berry's in my Glocks.  Use with confidence.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#14]
technically speaking you should not use plated bullets.  A plated bullet is no difference than shooting standard cast lead for the most part.  Instead of lead fouling when you shoot you will get excessive copper fouling.  The copper on a plated bullet is applied in an electro-chemical process.  It is far less stable than a jacketed round and the plating will come off very easy.  Some indoor ranges dont allow cast lead but will allow plated.  I think it is silly.  The plating is actually very thin.  Its almost like a thin powder coating if you will.  It comes off very easily.

I think, if I was going to use a plated bullet in a glock, I would treat it just the same as shooting a lead bullet or maybe even with more discrimination.  The reason is complacency.  It would be too easy to get complacent with plated bullets.

I do shoot lead in my Glock, but I am very very picky about it when I do so.  I never shoot more than 50 rounds without removing the barrel for a very good de-leading and inspection.  And even when I am shooting many times I will remove the barrel and check for lead build up.  Safety is paramount even though some here wouldn't believe me.  I don't wanna blow the thing up.  It's a 40 cal, which in my opinion makes it even worse.  And if I blow it up I would have to send the pieces to 1911smith and he would rub it in forever...so I cant let that happen

if you look in the internet there are lots of youtube videos on how to plate your on bullets.  Its actually very easy.  In my opinion the only reason to do it would be if I had to so I could shoot at an indoor range.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I've loaded and shot thousands of rounds of copper plated bullets from both Berry's and Xtreme through my Glocks (9 and 40).  No issues whatsoever.  The potential issues with Glock is when talking about lead cast bullets.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 2:52:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Had good luck with Berry's, Rainier, and Montana Gold in 9 and 40.

I did have to flare my brass a little more than I would like to with the Rainiers because the bottom edge seems to have less of a radius.

I also had some issues with the 40HP Rainiers not self-centering as easily in my die causing them to seat too deep so I did a 100% OAL inspection to catch them. (Possibly related to the first problem).

I started with the bare lead loading data and had to gradually increase my loads to ensure reliable cycling, esp on the 40.

So do lot's of testing before you commit to a large batch. Be sure to document and label your batches and their performance.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 3:33:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe it was the velocity part that got me.  I've tried Berry's and Rainier plated bullets in my M31 (.357 SIG) and the bullets were tumbling inside 10 yds.

I bought/installed a Wolf .357 SIG barrel and the plated bullets (same loads) shoot just fine in the Glock now.

You may find (if my experience was not just an accident) that if you want higher velocities you could get them with a barrel that had standard rifling in it vs. the Glock type.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 6:59:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Use plated in my 17, they foul worse than jacketed, pretty much make it look like my bore is plated within fifty rounds, shoot well, and no other issues. I used the low end of jacketed data when I loaded them, since Rainers said you could, might be what causes the excessive fouling.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:38:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes.  I shoot the 124gr HP, so quit buying em all already.

Heed the previous post, and don't overdrive.

Don't want to derail, but all of the HP's are temporarily discontinued until things settle down.
Source>> I placed a stocking order with Berry's last week, and this is straight from the Horse's mouth so to speak.

As to the original question. I will only sell things that I will shoot, and I love Glocks, so.....

Watch your velocity, and watch your crimp, and you'll be fine. On cases that headspace off the mouth, just put in a LIGHT taper crimp, and for rimmed revolver cartridges, just enough roll crimp to keep the bullet in place. What you want to avoid is cutting the plating.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:49:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
technically speaking you should not use plated bullets.  A plated bullet is no difference than shooting standard cast lead for the most part.  . . .

The plating is actually very thin.  Its almost like a thin powder coating if you will.  It comes off very easily.

Not true!  The electroplating on the Speer Gold Dot and electroplated Speer Blazer & Lawman bullets are VERY thick.  So is the thick plating on the "Xtreme" plated bullets!  Berrys and Ranier are also quite thick, as is Frontier.  

Federal Fusion RIFLE BULLETS are electroplated and are shot at velocities up to 4,000 FPS in loads like 220 Swift.  

You post perpetuates an old wives' tail.  Furthermore, you are apparently confusing "copper washed" lead bullets - like the copper-colored .22 Long Rifle bullets of the National Bullet company 45 bullets - with modern, thick-plated or TMJ'd bullets.

Stop generalizing about plated bullets.  They are NOT all the same.  

Most are perfectly suitable for Glocks.

In fact, Glock handguns loaded with ELECTROPLATED Gold Dot bullets are probably the most commonly carried by police officers in the USA.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#21]
been said a bunch already, but my experiences, plated works fine in a glock.  

I've loaded 9mm, and as long as you don't try pushing it past 1200fps or overcrimp, it works just fine.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Plated reloading bullets have only been widely available for about 30 to 40 years in the U.S. - so most guys don't know anything about the technology.

Here is a video explaining how pistol-only plated bullets are made today (NOTE:  Speer's .357 Sig plated bullet loads fly much faster than 1300 FPS; the Speer plating can take high velocity just fine):

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Plated reloading bullets have only been widely available for about 30 to 40 years in the U.S. - so most guys don't know anything about the technology.

Here is a video explaining how pistol-only plated bullets are made today (NOTE: Speer's .357 Sig plated bullet loads fly much faster than 1300 FPS; the Speer plating can take high velocity just fine):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD1gZhtEIuo

I believe it's against COC to bring facts into these discussions, I see a ban
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
technically speaking you should not use plated bullets.  A plated bullet is no difference than shooting standard cast lead for the most part.  . . .

The plating is actually very thin.  Its almost like a thin powder coating if you will.  It comes off very easily.

Not true!  The electroplating on the Speer Gold Dot and electroplated Speer Blazer & Lawman bullets are VERY thick.  So is the thick plating on the "Xtreme" plated bullets!  Berrys and Ranier are also quite thick, as is Frontier.  

Federal Fusion RIFLE BULLETS are electroplated and are shot at velocities up to 4,000 FPS in loads like 220 Swift.  

You post perpetuates an old wives' tail.  Furthermore, you are apparently confusing "copper washed" lead bullets - like the copper-colored .22 Long Rifle bullets of the National Bullet company 45 bullets - with modern, thick-plated or TMJ'd bullets.

Stop generalizing about plated bullets.  They are NOT all the same.  

Most are perfectly suitable for Glocks.

In fact, Glock handguns loaded with ELECTROPLATED Gold Dot bullets are probably the most commonly carried by police officers in the USA.

Ok I am obviously confused then.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#25]
they are ok to shoot in Glocks. Just use enough bell on the case so that the case doesn't shave off the plating. Don't over crimp as this may tear the plating.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I think an attempt is being made, claiming Berrys and Ranier use a thick plating ?

IF, I read into this a bit, could be wrong but you never know about peoples perceptions. One might be swayed to believe plated can be loaded to high side jacketed spec. I'm talking about Berrys and Ranier here, don't confuse either with Speer TMJ because that's a different kind of plating. Don't know how, but I've shot enough to know apples from oranges. I'll share this with you, I shoot in a climate controlled, indoor range having a concrete floor clean enough to eat off of.

Seperated plating on range floor is telling.

Berrys and Ranier use a soft core lead that's not bonded to plating. So, some care need be given when crimping and DO NOT drive these bullets at high side jacketed velocities. Both Berrys and Ranier are specific about loading their bullets.

Kind of like that sign, " Caution Wet Floor." Heed caution or run a risk of busting your butt.

Polygonal barrels and lead. We know polygonal bores literally shave lead from soft lead, fouling barrel. Doesn't much matter how thick you think the plating is, soft lead core is going to distort as plating is pulled into polygonal grooves.

Are plated bullets safe for your Glocks ? Yep, sure are. I shoot a lot of them at mid-range jacketed velocities. My favorite is 115 grain Ranier ball on top of Titegroup.

dc.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I shoot them all the time with a glock 19 and glock 26 ... No prob
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 2:28:41 AM EDT
[#28]
You can use berrys 40cal 180 in a stock Glock barrel but accuracy will suck. Get a lone wolf barrel.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top