Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2012 4:09:40 PM EDT
I am going to start reloading soon and I am trying to gather up my equipment. I plan on getting the Dillon 550 press and was also going to to get their powder scale and case cleaner. However, I recently saw some other products that were far cheaper than the Dillon stuff. I checked the archives on what arfcom recommends (frankford powder scale and lyman case tumbler), but I was wondering if there are other products available that may be just as good and possibly cheaper. I know that cheaper isn't always better, but sometimes you get lucky. So what digital powder scale should I get? Which is better- a case tumbler that uses media or an ultrasonic cleaner, and which brand should I get? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Wet tumbling gets brass cleanest

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/367311_Wet_tumbling_on_the_cheap___Yes___It_can_be_done_with_a_Harbor_Freight_Tumbler_.html

A vibratory tumbler with corn cob media is also nice to have. I use this type to finish dry my cases.

Electronic scales are not needed. Just use the ones supplied in RCBS reloading kit
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Just a heads up midway has the frankford arsenal scales for $20. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/175512/frankford-arsenal-ds-750-electronic-powder-scale-750-grain-capacity

I don't know how good they are but i figured it was worth a shot to see.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just a heads up midway has the frankford arsenal scales for $20. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/175512/frankford-arsenal-ds-750-electronic-powder-scale-750-grain-capacity

I don't know how good they are but i figured it was worth a shot to see.

I wouldn't recommend wasting the $20 on the scale. I had one and it drifted pretty badly just as Dry Flash mentioned his did. I bought the RCBS Rangemaster 750 and couldn't be more pleased with it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#5]
My bad. I skipped over his post since i had just read another post of his on a review thread of those saying he didn't plan on getting any. My thinking was they have to be better than the lee scales i have now. Heck they have better reviews than most other digital scales.  I still plan on picking up a dillon beam anyway but for now i'll be using them as a second opinion unless they work.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top