Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2012 4:56:14 PM EDT
Magnum small pistol primers are the only Winchester small pistol primers I can find where I live. This is possibily due to the Obama mania starting up again. In any case I read posts during the last shortage of guys using them in 9MM loads and noticing no difference between them and standard primers. Any ideas? I know there will be those who say don't deviate from load data. My question is, is there any real documented difference in performance or pressure in 9mm loads as compaired to standard primers. I use HS-6 wich is a ball powder by the way.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes you can use them but you'll have to work up your own load data.

Cut back on the powder load about 15% to start and work up as needed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yes you can use them but you'll have to work up your own load data.

Cut back on the powder load about 15% to start and work up as needed.

i have used them in 9mm.  as quoted back load down a bit and check for pressure signs.  you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#3]
A primer just starts reaction but if you have higher pressure from the begining you will get higher pressure at the highest level. Sodownload a little and work up to a safe level.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#4]
You're risking breech erosion...why take the chance?  Use what the published data say's to use.

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used CCI 550 SPM primers in my 9mm Blue Dot load since the primer shortage of 2008-9.  

I don't see where the primer type would make a difference with breech face erosion as long as the primer pockets are tight.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've used CCI 550 SPM primers in my 9mm Blue Dot load since the primer shortage of 2008-9.  

I don't see where the primer type would make a difference with breech face erosion as long as the primer pockets are tight.

when i saw that i thought the same thing.  if your primers arent backing out then it shouldnt be a problem.  arent magnum primer cups thicker anyways?
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

when i saw that i thought the same thing.  if your primers arent backing out then it shouldnt be a problem.  arent magnum primer cups thicker anyways?

yeah im not sure that pic has anything to do with magnum primers. I run them if thats all i can find either that of small rifle primers.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Well if the obama mania gets bad enough I'll use what ever small rifle primers I can find for the 9mm I load for the STEN SMG. It will probably set off any primer you put infront of its firing pin.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 4:11:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You're risking breech erosion...why take the chance?  Use what the published data say's to use.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/8103/p1010165u.jpg

Your erosion problem is NOT caused by the use of a mag primer.  You have other issues and I would suggest you forget the Mag primer theory and look to the real cause.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I have found through personal experience that bolt face erosion is most likely caused by loads that are too hot or primers that are too soft and deform because of normal pressures allowing gas to escape along the sides of the primer. I have had the latter happen with two of my ar's
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top