Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2012 5:53:17 PM EDT
I've been looking around at reloading supplies and considering investing in the tools to cut down on my cost of shooting.  Been looking at presses from Lee, especially the tourret press.  

Wanting your guys take on reloading kits,  to me the Lee press seems to be the best value.  Also supplies  ie powder, brass, bullets etc just for plinking.  Some of the supplies i have seen don't really make it much more economical than getting winchester white box at walmart.  

anyhow, thanks in advance,

Chris
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the same boat I know allot of people frown on the LEE  stuff but for the beginner I see no prob. I'm thinking about getting the progressive one from lee if I remember right cabelas has them for some where around 180 plus its progressive wich in theory should be nice when reloading handgun ammo. I seen it at cabelas 180 ish reg price
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#2]
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&category_id=190&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41
This is a great kit right here. Upgrade to the pro auto disk powder measure for 12 bucks too. Also get some spare ratchet nuts from Lee for it. I think they are 25 cents each. You can run them in auto index or single stage if you want. This kit is hard to beat you won't be disapointed
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Another good place for Lee equipment is www.fsreloading.com
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#4]
recommendations on a good reloading manual?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
i personally like Lee,s product line.
there great for the $
seeing as how your starting in the reloading dept. the turret press sounds good, and you can use it for other uses on down the line then move to progressive.

lots of info for starting your reloading addiction on this site as well as good manuals
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#6]
The Lee manual includes basic reloading instructions as well as load data. It is also kind of a giant advertisement for Lee equipment, but that doesn't invalidate the data or procedures.

I was advised, and I took it, to pick up several reloading manuals. I think I have 3 or 4 at the moment. It is nice to cross-reference loads when you're starting on a new caliber.

You are also going to want to pick this up: ABC's of Reloading It's full of great info and advice.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Another good place for Lee equipment is www.fsreloading.com

Greg or Kempf's are both great to deal with and the Lee Classic Turret is a great press, it's watched several Dillon Square Deals come and go

Chris reloading 9mm is very worth it to me, I can buy everything today to reload them for $87 K or much lower casting my own bullets
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#8]
You probably wont save a whole lot of money, I started just reloading 9mm and now I reload for just about all my rifles and pistols as well.  I don't think it has saved me too much money cause I keep buying more equipment lol.  However I do get better accuracy than what I would by buying factory ammo.  Now for the actual do I save any money, well yes I do because I can reload more ammo that is much higher quality for a cheaper price that I could with factory ammo.  For instance I seen some 9mm self defense ammo that was loaded with xtp ammo which was going for a little more than a dollar a round.  I can reload basically the same ammo for a fraction of the price.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
recommendations on a good reloading manual?

Lyman-Good selection of loads and bullet choices,good general instruction

I generally like lee stuff but the Lee progressive strikes me as fussy and a PITA to get set up and run smoothly.
The plastic Lee scales and powder measures don't impress me much.

Lee dies,hand primer,single stage and turret presses are all great values.

If all you are reloading is 9mm and your main goal is cost savings just forget it . Spend your time and money buying
cases of ammo when it is on sale and you will be ahead of the game.

Revolver loads and 45acp is where the savings are in reloading. Reloading also allows you to taylor the load to special circumstances.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 5:30:16 AM EDT
[#11]
It's definitely worth it cost wise to reload 9mm. I reload for half the cost of WWB from Wally world and that's with buying 115grFMJ's from Precision Delta! Once I get into casting my reloading will be over %80 cost saving vs. buying. The Lee will be a great press to start and on and not set you back very much and it will still turn out the same quality round as the others. The Lee manual will work for a starting manual as well, I bought that first and then added the Lyman 49th. I get my bullets from Precision Delta as I mentioned and try to buy powder and primers locally to avoid the hazmat fees.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top