BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2011 3:23:04 PM EDT
is it crap for reloading?...if so, why?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#1]
read

eta: cliff's notes....thin webs and enlarged primer pockets.   I load it for bolt guns, but stay away from it for gas guns.  YMMV
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Now this just applies to the large FC lettered brass and not the small letter stuff?

Or does every piece have to be measured...?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
As near as I can determine, all the FC brass made in about the last 4 years has thick webs and should be safe to reload.  Some people still complain that the heads are soft and suffer from expanded primer pockets after the first time fired.

If you buy brass of unknown vintage, it's simply a crap shoot.  I would not rely on the size of the lettering, and I would not expend the effort to prep to load if the primers are crimped.

Send any questionable pieces to me....I know just what to do with it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#5]
The old brass was crap the newer brass seems ok. Either way it all is oddly short. If you ever come across a FC brass that is long I would throw it out for sure.

Also in  the old brass the primers are ridiculously loose also.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been so badly burned by FC brass I simply will not use or recommend it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#8]
First primer pockets to go from my assorted lots is Federal. A few after second firing and others still hanging tight after 5th firing.

When through 5k assorted that will be the end of Federal. If'n it's not LC, Winchester or LaPua I don't want it in the house.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:00:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't have much experience with the FC .223 brass but I've been reloading the FC M1A .308 brass for a little while now with good results. I've been getting 5 reloads out of it before I toss it no matter what. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:04:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

As near as I can determine, all the FC brass made in about the last 4 years has thick webs and should be safe to reload.  Some people still complain that the heads are soft and suffer from expanded primer pockets after the first time fired.

If you buy brass of unknown vintage, it's simply a crap shoot.  I would not rely on the size of the lettering, and I would not expend the effort to prep to load if the primers are crimped.

I agree with this but since the cases aren't year stamped all my FC brass goes straight to scrap bucket.  Not like I get a lot of FC brass anymore anways, everyone and their cousin seems to reload or at least saves their brass

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:32:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I end up posting this in about every FC brass thread.  I guess this one shouldn't be any different.  

I have been having very good luck with the newer "FC 223" marked brass.  I've heard that Federal took over the Lake City plant several years ago.  Now all the brass looks the same once it is sectioned.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:11:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:39:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Federal has not been a problem for me in 223/5.56.  Old internet photo >    http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n420/joe1944usa/223web.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top