Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2011 1:51:10 PM EDT
I bought a 44 mag after being without one for 4 years and I am looking for some new dies.
I am running a Hornady LNL AP and I am looking for die suggestions. I have Lees (great bang for the buck), RCBS, Redding and they are great. I was looking at getting some Dillon dies but it tough to justify spending almost more than double than the Lee's.  Especially if I don't plan on shooting it a ton.
I have had good luck with them all but what do you folks think?
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Hornady 'new dimension' dies. titanium nitride sizer, doesn't even need lube.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Been happy with my Lee dies for 38/357

eta: specifically the 4-die set which has the FCD
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I load .44 Mag on my LnL AP with Hornady New Dimension Dies.  The Bullet Seater with the alignment sleeve is great!
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:59:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been using the Lee set for a while now... They serve my needs perfectly.  I don't do much fancy though... 240gr LSWC and 240gr JHP... If I did more varied loads I'd probably grab "better" dies.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 3:49:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I bought a 44 mag after being without one for 4 years and I am looking for some new dies.
I am running a Hornady LNL and I am looking for die suggestions. I have Lees (great bang for the buck), RCBS, Redding and they are great. I was looking at getting some Dillon dies but it tough to justify spending almost more than double than the Lee's.  Especially if I don't plan on shooting it a ton.
I have had good luck with them all but what do you folks think?

Lee set with the carbide sizing die , powder through the expander die , traditional seating die and factory crimp die ( may or may not need that one ) .  And if you do not already have one , the universal depriming die .

And the Lee disk powder measure , if you do not already have that .

God bless
Wyr
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 4:31:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Lee dies are fine, I have quite a few, but I have become a big fan of the Hornady new dimension dies.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Comforting on how popular the Hornady dies are. I bought some for 9mm but have loaded with them yet. I guess I'll give the Hornady a shot they are only a few bucks more than the Lee's!
And you get 100 bullets to boot!

What brand bullet do you folks suggest for plinking ? Also do you prefer lead or jacketed?

I have become a fan of Montana Gold's jacketed stuff and have had great luck with Missouri Bullet's lead products. Anything out there you folks like better?
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Lee dies have always worked well for me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#12]
For straight wall pistol like 38, 357, 44 I have no problem with using Lee dies.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 5:06:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Bought RCBS dies years ago.
Just loaded 300 full power loads last week.
This is a brutal cartridge to shoot alot of, but I usually shoot
25 or so to start my range day, after that all other pistol
cartridges are easy, no flinching or anticipating break of
shot at all.

I love my old RCBS dies and they still work great.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 10:48:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Been using the same set of RCBS Carbide dies for 20 years now. Works just fine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I have Lee and Hornady and like them both...I have the Lee four die set i use for .454 CASULL and it works great.  The Factory crimp die is awsome and i think for all revolver cartridges from now on i will use lee die sets.. No problems with the hornady plus you get some free bullets with them
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Been happy with my Lee dies for 38/357

eta: specifically the 4-die set which has the FCD

Yeah.  a 4-die Lee carbide set is a terrifically cost-effective way to go.  Midway has them on sale for $35.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Comforting on how popular the Hornady dies are. I bought some for 9mm but have loaded with them yet. I guess I'll give the Hornady a shot they are only a few bucks more than the Lee's!
And you get 100 bullets to boot!

What brand bullet do you folks suggest for plinking ? Also do you prefer lead or jacketed?

I have become a fan of Montana Gold's jacketed stuff and have had great luck with Missouri Bullet's lead products. Anything out there you folks like better?

Home cast bullets .  Cast big .  From Lee 6 cavity molds .

All I shoot in handgun calibers .

God bless
Wyr

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I use RCBS carbide dies and or Lee 4-die sets,and have for many years.I dont know alot about the Hornady dies,I have a few older sets and mine were always so bad to rust at the very least bit of handling,never a problem with any other dies.Like I said I dont know about the newer dies from Hornady as far as rusting.
Cast bullets, especially if you are plinking,no sense in punishing yourself or the gun,and you can buy hardcast if you decide to do some hunting for larger game.For plinking I try to load around 1,000 to 1,100 fps ,for heavy loads I load 300gr RNFP Speer bullets and 290 gr Clements hardcast.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#19]
All of my dies are Lee.

What kind of 44 mag did you get
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Model 29 -  Classics - 4" - Blued model.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top