Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2011 1:26:39 PM EDT
There is a local guy who reloads various calibers out of his house and I've bought reloaded pistol ammo from him in the past.

His prices are typically 2-3 dollars less per box than new ammunition which helps save money at the range. I supply the brass and he cleans it and supplies the press, powder, primers and bullets.

He wants $11 per 20 round box of .223 ammo loaded with 55 grain Hornady FMJ bullets. I can go to any local store in my town and buy American Eagle XM193 ammo for about $6.50 per box or PMC 55 grain FMJ for $7 to $9 depending on the store.

For those who buy reloaded ammo, what kind of prices are you paying per 20 round box? If I do 10+ boxes of ammo, he will lower the price to $10 per box which still seems awfully high.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#1]
When you can get steel case for 19 cents a round. From what I understand form guys here they are reloading for around the price of steel case.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
There is a local guy who reloads various calibers out of his house and I've bought reloaded pistol ammo from him in the past.

His prices are typically 2-3 dollars less per box than new ammunition which helps save money at the range. I supply the brass and he cleans it and supplies the press, powder, primers and bullets.

He wants $11 per 20 round box of .223 ammo loaded with 55 grain Hornady FMJ bullets. I can go to any local store in my town and buy American Eagle XM193 ammo for about $6.50 per box or PMC 55 grain FMJ for $7 to $9 depending on the store.

For those who buy reloaded ammo, what kind of prices are you paying per 20 round box? If I do 10+ boxes of ammo, he will lower the price to $10 per box which still seems awfully high.

Any thoughts?

I hope this guy is licensed and insured.  Many folks are leery and won't other peoples reloads unless it a commercial loader.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I reload 77GR SMK's for $4.60/20rnd box or $.23/rnd.

$11 is crazy.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any thoughts?

I hope this guy is licensed and insured.  Many folks are leery and won't other peoples reloads unless it a commercial loader.

The reloader is not licensed or insured, but he did come highly recommended from a buddy of mine.     The reloader is a retired gentleman who loads in his basement and has a very competent looking shop.      I've run thousands of his .380, .40 and .45 reloads through my guns without a single hiccup.     I've been saving my brass with the intention of having him load it, but for the price he's asking, it's cost prohibitive since I can buy new brass ammo for much less.    

I figured his price was significantly out of line, just wanted to check first before I scrapped the idea.

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, it's way out of line.  I believe it's illegal to manufacture ammunition without a license too.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you need to purchase your own press and get started.  

You'll break even in no time paying those prices too often  
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm already look into getting a press to reload .223 ammo.      I already reload shotshells and .38 Specials with one of those simple Lee Loader kits.     I guess getting a press is just the next logical step.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Tell him you're going to report him to the feds unless he gives you 5 boxes for free.  

Seriously, that's way too much.

I make ammo for a few of my close friends, but I do it as a favor and only charge them what components cost me.  

Example:  I make cast bullet 44 ammo for one buddy for $8 per box of 50 plus his brass in exchange.

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#9]
He is breaking the law, stop doing business with him. You might not want to be in close proximity when the feds show up.
just sayin
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I can go to a local store and buy the stuff (excluding brass) to make 500 .223 rounds for about $100.  And that isn't even buyin gbulk or looking for good deals.  That come sout to 20 cents a round or $4/20.  He should get something for his time and effort, but $7 per 20 rounds is rather excessive.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#12]
What RIPRegan said- I reload for guys I trust, and only charge for components & equipment wear($2-3.00 per session-20 to 50 rounds) depending on how much brass they give me.

My current  cost to roll .223  55gr fmj is .12 cents; got bulk boolits for $7.50 per hundred.

He may be a nice guy, but he's way above current factory prices.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What RIPRegan said- I reload for guys I trust, and only charge for components & equipment wear($2-3.00 per session-20 to 50 rounds) depending on how much brass they give me.

My current  cost to roll .223  55gr fmj is .12 cents; got bulk boolits for $7.50 per hundred.

I hope you guys know that I hate you

Cheapest I can get locally to reload is ~$250/1000 if I'm lucky...

Enjoy your cheap ammo
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
He is breaking the law, stop doing business with him. You might not want to be in close proximity when the feds show up.
just sayin

NO! HE IS NOT!

BATFE specifically says that reloading and returning identical cartridge cases someone brings you is not considered "manufacturing" for the purposes of federal excise tax or licensing as the owner of the casings is simply contracting to have them reloaded and he is considered to be making them for personal use which is exempt.  

But if someone brings in 200 .223 R-P cases and you return them 200 Winchester, Lake City, Federal, or even 200 different Remington cases then you are no longer exempt as it has to be the very same cases that were given.  Say one is split, or gets damaged during the reloading process?  The client only gets back 199 loaded rounds as substitution is not allowed.

Reloading range pickup or new brass and then selling it to anyone is considered "manufacturing" and requires a ammunition manufacturer's license and payment of the 11% federal excise tax imposed by the Pittman Robberson act.
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Setting the legal aspects aside.  Case prep for bottleneck rifle cases is considerably more time consuming than straight walled pistol cases.  I dread tedious case trimming.  "The Guy" might be pricing it so high in the hopes of not getting the job.
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 10:29:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My current cost to roll .223 55gr fmj is .12 cents; got bulk boolits for $7.50 per hundred.

Enjoy your cheap ammo

If you're paying $250/K, you're not doing your homework, or you're buying in low volumes.

I buy pretty much everything online, and I'm below 18 cents per round (excluding brass).

Buying in bulk is what makes the difference, for instance, I buy 2-4 8lb jugs of TAC powder at a time. I buy 6K Hornady 55 FMJ's at a time ($449 shipped from Wideners), and at least 10K primers at at time. This has me down (for 25 grains of TAC) to 6 cents for powder, 7.5 cents for the projectile, and ~3 cents for the primer AT TODAYS PRICES.

If I built the same thing but bought powder and bullets in low volume, I'd be looking at your 25 cents per round (and I'd be considering whether it was worth my time for bulk ammo)...

ETA: It's been a while since I bought primers, evidently they dropped in price by $10/K since I purchased mine.    Oh well, at least I won't be running out of primers anytime soon.  But essentially, the price is even lower than what I stated above...
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

My current cost to roll .223 55gr fmj is .12 cents; got bulk boolits for $7.50 per hundred.

OK, I did the math, now I'm curious.  Even with primers down to 2 cents each, what powder are you using for .223 that's only costing you 3.5 cents per round?  Or is it just stuff you bought way back in the day when prices were lower?

TAC's at 118.00 per 8lb jug, and that's on the lower end of power prices.  Even buying in bulk, with a 25 grain load, I'm at 6 cents for powder...  I really don't see how you shaved 2 cents off of that unless you are using powder and/or primers from years ago...

Link Posted: 1/5/2011 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Enjoy your cheap ammo

If you're paying $250/K, you're not doing your homework, or you're buying in low volumes.

I buy pretty much everything online, and I'm below 18 cents per round (excluding brass).

Buying in bulk is what makes the difference, for instance, I buy 2-4 8lb jugs of TAC powder at a time. I buy 6K Hornady 55 FMJ's at a time ($449 shipped from Wideners), and at least 10K primers at at time. This has me down (for 25 grains of TAC) to 6 cents for powder, 7.5 cents for the projectile, and ~3 cents for the primer AT TODAYS PRICES.

If I built the same thing but bought powder and bullets in low volume, I'd be looking at your 25 cents per round (and I'd be considering whether it was worth my time for bulk ammo)...

ETA: It's been a while since I bought primers, evidently they dropped in price by $10/K since I purchased mine.    Oh well, at least I won't be running out of primers anytime soon.  But essentially, the price is even lower than what I stated above...

He lives in HI.  I'm guessing that is why is price is so high, not because he isn't shopping around.  I'd hate to imagine what it cost to get components out there.

Link Posted: 1/5/2011 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#20]
$11? Eesh...
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 12:21:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
$11? Eesh...

It seems more like the reloader is charging for his time more than anything else
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#22]
It's perfectly legal to reload some ammo for your friends, provided they supply the components and you don't charge a fee. If this guy isn't licensed or insured he is outside the law. He probably is selling his old used brass and buying new with the funds. I bet he isn't paying income tax, excise tax or any other tax (sales).

You can do better for a lot less, have control over the process, learn a new hobby and become self sufficient (as far as ammo goes).
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 4:08:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Enjoy your cheap ammo

ETA: It's been a while since I bought primers, evidently they dropped in price by $10/K since I purchased mine. Oh well, at least I won't be running out of primers anytime soon. But essentially, the price is even lower than what I stated above...

He lives in HI. I'm guessing that is why is price is so high, not because he isn't shopping around. I'd hate to imagine what it cost to get components out there.

Ah, now it makes sense.  That just means buy a LOT more at once!!!

Link Posted: 1/6/2011 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I won't reload for my friends but I do offer to let them use my equipment and pay me for the components they use.  Only one has ever taken me up on it.  I've never had a problem with my 5.56 rounds but I won't have somebody else find it for me.  [Since I only load 5.56 and 9 mm I use the Little Dandy powder rotors which only have one set powder charge.  If you don't double charge it's a little hard to screw up.  However, Murphy's law.]

I load Hornady 55 grain fmj using TAC and range brass for about $3.50 per box ($.175 per round).  Components were purchased in bulk and the brass needs to be free.  Does great for punching holes in paper.  $11 per box much include a charge for labor.

There might be better deals available (haven't searched) but Natchez has the Lake City Federal on sale for $300/1k, which is $6 per box.  Better than $11.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top