Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 3:25:16 PM EDT
Forgive me if this is covered somewhere else and I am sure it is, but I can't find it in a search.
I picked up some .40 cal brass at the range today and was wondering if there is any way of telling it was fired from a .40 cal Glock? If so, does it matter? I have heard repetitive reloading in a .40 cal Glock may cause problems, but will once fired brass? Here is a picture of what I have. THANKS! Can I keep it?
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/5195/football002.jpg
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Sometimes there will be a little bump on the web of the case where the pressure forms the case to the unsupported portion of the chamber by the feed ramp, and the primer strikes are more of a thin rectangle than round (look at a GLOCK firing pin and you'll figure it out).
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
OP, the two cases with the headstamp showing look like they've been fired from a Glock. You will notice the rectangular impression left. This rectangular impression is the most reliable indicator I've found.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#3]
On the two cases laying on their side, the left was from a Glock, the right from something else.  Glocks will put that rectanglar mark on the primer where the striker comes out of a rectangular slot.  That's the easiest way to tell, I don't know of another weapon that has that look to it.  (Not saying there isn't)
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
On the two cases laying on their side, the left was from a Glock, the right from something else.  Glocks will put that rectanglar mark on the primer where the striker comes out of a rectangular slot.  That's the easiest way to tell, I don't know of another weapon that has that look to it.  (Not saying there isn't)

My Walther P99 in .40 Strong and Wicked puts the same mark as my Glock (striker fired) 22 does.  I'm sure that if I studied them, there would be diffs, but I'm not a forensic gun expert.

Chris

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Those were not fired from a GLOCK...
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Brass from a Glock has a clear and identifiable rectangular firing pin strike. I notice that with my slower 40 loads that the cases do not bulge too bad but it's noticeable. Those don't look like it to me, but I could be wrong. God knows it's happened before
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't look Glock to me but they do look like they were fired from something that was a tilt barrel that was unhealthy, the barrel was tilting while the FP was still in contact.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys are helping me a lot. I have a Glock and didn't even know about the rectangle firing pin. SO, I got my old Glcok's barrel out along with my M&P's barrel, both are .40cal. I placed the newly found brass in my Smith barrel and it would not go all of the way in, but the once fired brass that belongs to me from my Smith M&P, did go all of the way in. See pictures.
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/1893/blo002.jpg
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/7468/blo001.jpg
Here are two pictures of thew same casings in the Glock barrel. Looks like to me they both go all of the way in. Now I am confussed. How is this partially unsupported?
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/5456/blo003.jpg
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5646/blo004.jpg
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#10]
You should fully resize them first before you try to see if they will chamber in your weapon. Un-resized brass is not a good indicator of fit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:24:49 PM EDT
[#11]
OP. that shit hasn't been shot through a Glock...the firing pin indentations aren't the typical squared ones you find.  I know, I shoot Glocks.

Doesn't matter anyway...brass that came out of a Glock is the same as any other, in my experience...resize, load, as usual...no problems.

I reload for Glocks...no problems at all.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:00:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Those don't look they were fired in a Glock. I think what you are seeing is firing pin swipe marks. The firing pin was still in the extended position when the pistol was cycling. Glock brass has a very definite rectangular primer mark.

I've loaded many thousands of .40 brass fired in Glocks and never had any issues. However, most of the ammo I load is not 100% full power. I download slightly but still hot enough to make USPSA major power factor.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP. that shit hasn't been shot through a Glock...the firing pin indentations aren't the typical squared ones you find.  I know, I shoot Glocks.

Doesn't matter anyway...brass that came out of a Glock is the same as any other, in my experience...resize, load, as usual...no problems.

+1  Don't buy into everything you read.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I reload for my glocks also with no problems what so ever.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#15]
This is interesting and only one powder manufacturers opinion but.........

Warning from Accurate Powder

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

And I can find countless firearms manuals that say you shouldn't be reloading for them at all.

-Deke
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

And I can find countless firearms manuals that say you shouldn't be reloading for them at all.

-Deke

Look I'm not saying I agree or disagree but there's a big difference between a firearms manufacturer who warns against using reloads(which most do) vs a powder manufacturer who sells powder specifically for reloading.   Oh the irony!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all of the posts. I desided to use em. I resized them and cleaned em up toady. I already have primers in them and ready for powder. Here is my logic: it is once fired brass by someone who does not reload. If they reloaded they would have picked them up. Therefore, it was factory loaded ammo and only fired once, so how bad could it be? It was strange how the bottom of the cases were bulged out. What kind of gun has such a loose chamber? Anyway, they look normal now.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Don't look Glock to me but they do look like they were fired from something that was a tilt barrel that was unhealthy, the barrel was tilting while the FP was still in contact.  

I concur. It appears that the fp was dragging across the primer during extraction/ejection.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I reload .40 brass for both glock and an MP5/40....no issues with either.  I don't worry bout the bulge for once fired, just resize and good to go.  I have never had probs with glock'd brass not resizing or chambering after being resized.  I do however keep my loads gentle when handloading for a glock .40 with stock barrel.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
<snip>Here is my logic: it is once fired brass by someone who does not reload. If they reloaded they would have picked them up. Therefore, it was factory loaded ammo and only fired once, so how bad could it be?

I say this with courtesy and respect: your logic is flawed.

I reload. I pick up as much brass as I can find. However, I don't find every piece of brass I shoot. Just because someone reloads doesn't mean they always pick up the brass they just fired. If it is laying on the ground it is not always once-fired.

That being said, it doesn't really matter if it is once fired or 5x fired. You aren't going to have problems if you inspect your range pick ups for problems like split necks, flattened primers, loose primer pockets, and other indicators that the brass may be ready for the scrap bucket.

Someone may post the link where the guy fires the 40 S&W brass a bunch of times in a row. I think it was like 40+ times before he felt it unsafe to proceed.

jonblack
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+2.  I like to do empirical brass life tests every so often and a few months ago I posted here about one I was doing on .40s&w Winchester brass range pickups.
Since it was an LE range they were most likely fired through stock Glocks.  The main thrust of the test was differences in life between nickel and brass, but the
upshot is I fired all 10 pieces until they developed splits or cracks.

You can read the whole thread I posted on INGO:
brass life test
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:19:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for all of the tips. Just learning the ropes. You all have been a lot of help.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:21:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought some .40 brass that has been glocked, I ended up getting a redding push through die which works pretty good.
That being said I dont buy brass that I know has been glocked because it just takes one more step because you still have to resize it after the push through die.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:31:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+2.  I like to do empirical brass life tests every so often and a few months ago I posted here about one I was doing on .40s&w Winchester brass range pickups.
Since it was an LE range they were most likely fired through stock Glocks.  The main thrust of the test was differences in life between nickel and brass, but the

brass life test

+3  If you're resizing correctly this is a non-issue.  But, just for reference this is what Glock fired brass will look like...

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I reload .40 brass for both glock and an MP5/40....no issues with either.  I don't worry bout the bulge for once fired, just resize and good to go.  I have never had probs with glock'd brass not resizing or chambering after being resized.  I do however keep my loads gentle when handloading for a glock .40 with stock barrel.

This.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

brass life test

Great article, thank's for posting it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top