Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 12:52:22 PM EDT
Well, it started with the motor going from fast to slow and back again.  It finally gave up the ghost today.  It was getting power, the motor would hum when it was turned on.  The armature spins freely and does not bind.  I looked at the wiring and soldered the 2 connections to the motor.  No dice.  It is about 5 years old, originally purchased through Midway.

What are my options?  Can I get a replacement motor (this would be my preferred route as long as the motor isn't more costly than a new tumbler)?  Any part numbers would help.  Or would it be easier to buy a new one?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Well, it started with the motor going from fast to slow and back again.  It finally gave up the ghost today.  It was getting power, the motor would hum when it was turned on.  The armature spins freely and does not bind.  I looked at the wiring and soldered the 2 connections to the motor.  No dice.  It is about 5 years old, originally purchased through Midway.

What are my options?  Can I get a replacement motor (this would be my preferred route as long as the motor isn't more costly than a new tumbler)?  Any part numbers would help.  Or would it be easier to buy a new one?

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/threewood/gun%20pics/P8310288.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/threewood/gun%20pics/P8310289.jpg

I had the same problem.... However, I got an extra month and a half outa mine :)

Load it up, seal it up, flip it upside down and start it.  Then lay it down right-side-up.  Like I said, I squeaked out a little extra from mine this way.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I figure you coud find a motor to replace the busted one, not an expert on case tumblers, but anyone with some common electrical knowledge could fix it and add a few extra years of service to that one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/threewood/gun%20pics/P8310288.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/threewood/gun%20pics/P8310289.jpg

Easier to buy a new one?  Yes.  But I'm the kind of guy that likes a challenge and fix stuff that's broke...

I'm sure you could find a replacement motor online though from grainger.com or www.electricmotorwarehouse.com  (links left cold)  All it takes is a bit of research.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#4]
My second Frankford arsenal bit the dust this weekend...

I've had enough of cheap chinese tumblers with shitty motors.  I ordered a Dillon 750 last night .

P.S.  If you spray some oil (CLP or Rem Oil works) in the motor on your tumbler, you may get some more life out of it.  Also, a GOOD motor (like from Graingers) will cost more than a new tumbler.  There was a post a while back where a guy put a tutorial for swapping them out.

- AG
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I"ve not worn out my lyman, but I did wear out two Frankforts. They replaced one for me, but wouldn't do it twice.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Is it a brushless motor? It might be as simple as replacing those if the motor has them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Perfect opportunity to upgrade to a Thumlers Tumbler....

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the FA tumbler, it's so loud I wish it would die so I could justify getting a better one that isn't so noisy.  Are the Lyman tumblers or Dillons as loud?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it a brushless motor? It might be as simple as replacing those if the motor has them.

The motor is a "shaded pole" type. No brushes.

This is correct.  

I am wondering what the motor difference between all the brands is?  It is a pretty simple design and I actually don't know how one could outlast another.  I cannot find anything wrong with this one but it does not work anymore.    There are quite a bit of c-frame motors out there but I can't seem to locate any with a 5/16" shaft.  I could retrofit one with a smaller shaft and the price would be between $17 and $30 for the fix
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:07:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:04:57 AM EDT
[#14]
op-
call midway. they replaced mine after ~15 years, but w/an FA.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:09:27 AM EDT
[#15]
had the same issue with mine, got four years of constant use out of it first, took the motor apart, cleaned then lubed it well, got another 6 months out of it.

I shelved it for parts and bought another brand.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have the FA tumbler, it's so loud I wish it would die so I could justify getting a better one that isn't so noisy.  Are the Lyman tumblers or Dillons as loud?

I am wondering about the Lyman's also.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#19]
My Dillon arrived today...

What a nice piece of equipment!  That motor is HUGE.  It is not too noisy.  I think I'll keep it...

- AG
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Ive burned up two of those FA tumblers, new motor cost more than the whole thing. I recommend the Hornady M2 if it is still made,Ive had mine since mid 90's and it still works. This is what I use mostly.I also have an older Midway 1292 bought about 2001 that still runs great.

You would think by now midway would just give up on the FA tumblers,nothing but junk that has to be more of a problem for the company than they are worth.JMHO.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:00:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I went though 3 of the Midway/FA Tumblers and 2 Harbor Freight ones

Motors would have cost more than they were worth to fix

Got a Lyman for cheaper at the time than I could have gotten another FA

Saving my pennies for a Thumblers to go with the Lyman soon

So far (about 3 months of a LOT of use) I've not killed the Lyman

I'm happy with it
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:15:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I went though 3 of the Midway/FA Tumblers and 2 Harbor Freight ones

Motors would have cost more than they were worth to fix

Got a Lyman for cheaper at the time than I could have gotten another FA

Saving my pennies for a Thumblers to go with the Lyman soon

So far (about 3 months of a LOT of use) I've not killed the Lyman

I'm happy with it

did you kill the big harbor freight tumbler or the small one?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#23]
A dab of grease on what paces for bearings in the motor may bring it back, and will extend the life of new ones.

Many small shaded poles just use a round ball pressed on the shaft and rubbing on the shaft holding hardware as the 'bearing.'

Sometimes a 'manual start' breaks the shaft free and it runs again until turned off.

Another 'start' and it will run again.

A pair of decent bearings would probably double the cost of the motor (and it is the most expensive thing in the tumbler).
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I had to replace the belt on my Thumbler's tumbler once.   Cost me $3 + $2 for shipping to get a new one.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top