BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2010 2:58:03 PM EDT
Hey all- thought I would post links to some articles I'm working on:

Reloading Safety - A basic primer
Reloading Safety: Powder Check Systems Overview
Dillon XL-650 / 1050 Powder Check System

Safety is perhaps the most important aspect of reloading, so please check out these posts, and share your experiences.

Here's a spoiler:

Image copyright 2010 Ultimate Reloader

Stay tuned for more coverage, including the RCBS lockout die!

You can also subscribe to my blog via email here:
www.ultimatereloader.com/subscribe

Thanks,
Gavin
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:07:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to see more detail review of the RCBS an Hornady powder check dies, in depth like you did with the Dillon one.

A lot of people have Dillon 550B's, I would mention there's no really good way to use a powder check system on that press, and of course, a powder check system for a single stage press is useless.

On the 550B I try to to the "fill the case over 50%" method of powder checking - that is a double charge will cause powder to spill from the case.  It's impossible to get a double charge in .223 for example.  You mentioned loads but a squib is relatively innocuous compare to a double powder charge

Great pictures and video as always.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:19:49 AM EDT
[#2]
AssaultRifler- I plan to cover the other systems in detail- RCBS Powder Checker, RCBS Lock-Out, Hornady Powder Cop.

Stay tuned!

Thanks,
Gavin
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:55:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's a spoiler: The Hornady die works well and handles even modest loads in small capacity cases like 9mm.  You do have to look at the die, but its indications are easy to see and understand.  I got one after an unpleasant incident involving a squib reload in my 9mm carbine...which also has me spot checking the weight of completed rounds to ensure they're within about ±2gr of all the other rounds.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I am interested in learning about the RCBS lockout die. I have the Dillon powder alarm but I would like to experiment with something else.

jonblack
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:20:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I use the DILLON powder check system on my XL650.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top