Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2010 6:56:11 PM EDT
Gonna go on a prarie dog hunt soon and want to load a few hundred .308 rounds with the 110 vmax.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#1]
For starters.. I will say please build up to your max loads... don't just take this load and run with it.

Here is what I and my friend came up with use 110gr Vmax in a 308 using 308 winchester brass.

Winchester brass
52gr IMR-4064... this is literally powder to the rim of the mouth and then some on top... and you squeeze the bullet in there... careful not to spill the powder
I want to say OAL was 2.775".... length was long enough that approx 0.20" of the bullet was sitting the brass... no crimp.
CCI large rifle primers

With this in my savage 10FP I chronoed in at 3400fps... in my friends 700 SPS varmint it chronoed 3200fps... either way PLENTY enough for this bullet to do its job... I'm just a speed junky and my next test will be to use my hornady match brass which has a higher capacity... load it hotter and put a crimp on it... I was to get to 3500-3600fps... I have faith its possible...

With 52gr load I was getting NO pressure signs... primers looked fine.

Its accurate enough for hunting purposes.. Definitely MOA-sub MOA at 100yds.. haven't shot it past that since we only have approx 40 bullets and we used them all for load developement and accuracy at 100yds.

Hope that helps...

PLEASE ALSO NOTE THIS WAS IN A BOLT ACTION GUN... if you are shooting a semi-auto I'd advice you not to go as hot... if you do.. build up slow so you don't get a huge pressure spike.

Mike.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=438424
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=438424

Good point on the book... one thing I have noticed about the hornady books is they are on the very conservative side with their max loads... for every caliber I reload that is in that book.

Mike.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top