Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2010 8:03:33 AM EDT
I recently got in a load of once fired brass on a trade, and in one of the boxes it looks like it's mixed Privi and some with IK 5.56x45. I understand that these are Igman Yugo cases, and that they may have smaller than normal flash holes. Anyone here load these? or should they just go straight to the scrap bin? I know the Privi is GTG though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#1]
While we're on the topic, how about Igman 7.62x39?  I've got 500 rounds of factory loaded ammo that I was hoping to save the brass from.  Of course for 7.62x39 it's probably worth drilling out flash holes or turning down the depriming pin.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Also, one of the boxes is probably over 1k of mixed federal brass. Some of it is stamped FC .223 but with a primer crimp and sealer, some of it is stamped FC 08, with a primer crimp and sealer. I know the FC commercial stuff is considered junk.... but what about this stuff? I've never seen it before. I might hack some cases up when I get home and compare them...
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#3]
the newer FC .223 brass is GTG. Ive never had any trouble with the IK brass in my lee decapper.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 5:27:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I recently got in a load of once fired brass on a trade, and in one of the boxes it looks like it's mixed Privi and some with IK 5.56x45. I understand that these are Igman Yugo cases, and that they may have smaller than normal flash holes. Anyone here load these? or should they just go straight to the scrap bin? I know the Privi is GTG though.

The flasholes are smaller, here is my method,

Decap using a Lee decapping die, it will swage the flasholes larger. Here is the secret, lube.

Lube the decapping pin every 3rd case, I use Imperial, or use whatever you are lubing cases with.

The lube keeps the decapping pin from pulling out of the decapping stem. ask me how I know.

The cases load and shoot fine.
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#5]
So I took your advice, and tried your method.... and I won't be doing that again. Lol. Pulled the decapping pin right out of the decapper rod. For a moment I thought this decapper was toast. I was able to put it back together... So since it works for you, wanna trade me some LC for some IK??  
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 4:23:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So I took your advice, and tried your method.... and I won't be doing that again. Lol. Pulled the decapping pin right out of the decapper rod. For a moment I thought this decapper was toast. I was able to put it back together... So since it works for you, wanna trade me some LC for some IK??  

You had the pin lubed and it pulled out?

What kind of lube?

You might need to lube the pin for every case, our batches of brass must be real different.

Sorry about your problems, it worked for me.

Trade LC for IK? Think I'll pass.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 8:54:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I know I'll hear it for this one..... I use Hornady one shot case lube.

But I lubed the pin, first case I tried to size, pulled the pin right out. Not worth it... I've only got like 100 or 200 of the IK cases.... Into to scrap heap they go.

And before I get flamed for using the Hdy OS lube, I've been using it since I've started reloading. I've probably sized about 1500 cases, and never once have a had a stuck case. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... I'll keep using it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#8]
No flames here, but I think if you used a different lube the process would work for you.

Put the cases aside, you never know how things might change for you in the future.
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No flames here, but I think if you used a different lube the process would work for you.

Put the cases aside, you never know how things might change for you in the future.

+1

also a tub of Imperial wax won't break the bank. pick one up, you'll be glad you did.

Link Posted: 2/6/2010 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll grab some imperial next time I'm buying stuff to give it a try. I will admit the hdy OS can be a bit on the expensive side, since one 8 dollar can will only last about 800-1000 rounds.

On another topic, I got a lot of prvi cases in this trade too... I figured this stuff would size just like my beloved LC cases. After sizing, and trimming just a hundred of these, they are all about to hit the scrap heap too!!! I can't believe how hard they are to push through the sizer, and the case heads are about .005 larger, making it a royal pain in the ass to get in and out of my shell holder.... I think I might just blast the hundred I've done, and leave them at the range for some other sucker. I think it might be LC from here on out for me...
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I used a drill with a 5/64" bit drilling from the case mouth end.  You have to move the bit around a little to find the flash hole. Begin drilling. When you feel it begin to break through STOP! Deprime in the usual manner. Probably seems like more trouble than it's worth but everyone has their price for their time.  I just didn't have anything better to do with mine at the time. Good Luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top