Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 1:17:36 AM EDT
Ran into a problem loading for .45acp

I bought a Lee Factory Crimp Die for that part. Using Berry's 185 gr HBRN bullets.

I cant get them to hold the crimp, after setting the LFCD up with half a turn for crimp it's like it does nothing, i can spin the bullet in the case with my finger and i can also push the bullet in as far as it will go. turn the die anywhere past a half to full turn i can see a dent in the bullet, but almost the same problem. i can spin the bullet but not push them into the case.

i was getting into loading for .45 so i would have ammo to shoot since it is basically unattainable locally but it seems that I'm just wasting at the moment.

any ideas ?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:34:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:01:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't take this wrong but are you sure you've resized the brass and haven't over expanded the mouth?  When I first got my universal decapper I did a small batch of 9mm with it (changing my process ).  A month or two later I assumed that they were sized since the primer was gone and I started loading but had the same problem.  I quickly figured that they weren't resized since the brass usually holds the bullet firm and I wouldn't be able to push the bullet in further.  

That said, I think Berry's are a softer bullet and are more easily affected by over-crimping.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:57:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Crimping in the 45 ACP is only there to remove the flare left by the expander die.  It should not roll the brass into the bullet at all.  If you can see the crimp it is to much.  As stated above, is the bullet loose before you crimp?  If so then your problem lies in the sizing/expanding process not the crimp.  If the bullet is tight and secure before the crimp then you are crimping to much.  Back the crimp die out until it just touches the case mouth to remove the flare.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:22:14 AM EDT
[#4]
they have all been sized, mouth barely flared. set the crimp die per the instructions. screw it in until about an 1/8" gap and tighten the ring, run the bullet in all the way, then screw the plug down until it touches the mouth and then turn it another half turn like the instructions say then thats it.

i'll have to load a couple more to see if they are tight before the crimp.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:42:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So, you're applying the crimp in the seater die followed up by the FC die.

Screw the seater body down on a case until you feel the crimp ring contact the case mouth, then back it off a half turn or so to clear the case completely.  Seat a bullet and adjust the COAL with the seater stem.  Seat bullets.

Then crimp the case, either with the FCD or the seater die you have.  Adjust the crimp to produce 0.470 inches diameter at the case mouth.

.45 ACP and most common auto loading pistols headspace on the case mouth.  That is the reason the case can't be buried into the bullet, it has to sit on the surface of the bullet.

When factory instructions don't work, analyze the operations then adjust the dies to load the ammunition correctly.

i'm not crimping with the seater die. i am just seating with the 3rd die and crimping only with the FCD.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You are crimping with the seater if you're adjusting it as you describe.

no, i'm following the directions that came with the LEE FCD to crimp. i'm using a RCBS 3 die set to size, bell, and seat, but not doing any crimping with the seater die.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:25:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top