Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2009 10:37:27 PM EDT
I have read that CCI SRP's tend to be harder than others, and don't generally have slamfire or pierced primer issues with .223 and 5.56 loads.  How do the Winchester SRP's stack up by comparison?  I have only bought CCI SRP's until now, but I found some bricks of Winchester SRP's for sale.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of highpower shooters use Winchester.  Some folk say they aren't as hard as they used to be back when they were nickel plated though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 4:38:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I used the Winchester primers for several years with no problems........but I now use CCI  #41 Mil. priimers.....Also bought some Wolf small rifle magnum but haven't gave them a try yet.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 4:44:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I used WSR primers for years with no problems, the old and the new.

The key is to seat primers below the case head, and you will be GTG.

Get the WSR primers.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 5:08:23 AM EDT
[#4]

FWIK, the CCI primers are the hardest. That said, I use winchester small rifle primers on my AR reloads without any problems.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 5:29:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 6:32:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lots of highpower shooters use Winchester.  Some folk say they aren't as hard as they used to be back when they were nickel plated though.

I quit buying the WSR because of "pressure signs" from the new primers (the current brass ones). They would rivet easier and crater easier. The older nickel-plated ones did not show the same signs, this was with the same exact load. I promptly blamed the new "brass-colored" WSR. ( right or wrong ,who knows, I was younger and smarter then...)This was years ago and things may be better with WSR now....but, most of my SR loads have been made with CCI 450's as a result of that experience.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 7:03:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Back in the early 90's when Win did the swap to brass colored primers......they introduced with labeling that touted something about easier to ignite.  And, some people did experience pierced primers with loads developed with the nickle plated primers in AR platforms.

Link Posted: 8/30/2009 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I have loaded and fired 10,000 older nickle plated and 5,000 newer brass Winchester WSR primers in my AR's with zero problems.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 8:54:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Some real good info about primers at this webpage here.....
About Primers
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#10]
When I'm using my hand held primer seater (LEE brand)..........I've found that I have to use more effort to set a CCI primer vs. a Winchester primer.  So, I prefer to use a Winchester primer vs. a CCI primer.  But, then I've also found that, for me, Fed primers are consistently "good stuff."  So, I use Fed primers vs. Winchester primers.

Seriously............buy some and test.

Find out............what YOU and/or YOUR RIFLE likes.

Aloha, Mark

PS..............IIRC, LEE has a warning out about using Fed. primers in their hand held primer tool.  

So, please read all warnings that may come with your tools.

IF you decide to go forward in spite of a WARNING(s) that's YOUR CALL.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top