Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2009 6:08:24 PM EDT
I'm looking at getting a crony and wanted some opinions.  I have about 200 to spend and would like to get some kind of balistic software too.  I was looking at the shooting cronys, maybe the beta master.  Is there any need for the printer?  I know I'll get some different opinions, but would like to hear them.  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#1]
CED Millenium is a good one.  It replaced my PACT.  I haven't had it long enough to know about longevity/durability but it looks as good as any out there.

I do not recommend PACT (been there, am done with that).. When my Pro Chrono model died, I did replaced it with the CED, not a new PACT.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a Digital Electronics Pro-Chrono Digital. Have had it for several years and works very well.  Optional remote available but the readout is large enough to read at typical distances. It would be helpful at a public range though.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:30:39 AM EDT
[#3]
CED millenium user here.  

I've used one of the club's old shooting chrony's years ago.  The CED is nicer.  it takes more to set up but you also don't shoot it's brain by accident.  

I've yet to shoot any part of mine yet (crosses fingers).  As an old mortarman.........mask and overhead clearance!  (sight down the barrel line not the scope to make sure your projectile doesn't hit something early, for mortars it was tree branches you looked out for)
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm looking at getting a crony and wanted some opinions.  I have about 200 to spend and would like to get some kind of balistic software too.  I was looking at the shooting cronys, maybe the beta master.  Is there any need for the printer?  I know I'll get some different opinions, but would like to hear them.  Thanks

I'm also thinking about getting a new chrony.  I started out with a basic Shooting Chrony (which I wasn't happy with), from there I graduated up to a Oehler 35.  I've had the Oehler for several years and have been pretty happy with it but I would really like a chrony that I can dump the info from onto my computer.  Consequently I've been considering parting with my Oehler and getting a CED M2.  Can anyone comment on how well transferring the data to your computer works with the M2?  Will the M2 perform as well as my Oehler 35 or should I stick with what I have?

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got a Shooting Chrony, Beta Master chrono from MidSouth Shooters Supply for $113.  The Master version has the remote box so you can have the readout and controls right on your bench.  I used it yesterday without the screens both in the morning when it was sunny and in the afternoon when it was overcast and it worked without any issues.  I'm very satisfied.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I too have the Beta Master and have had no problems. The corded display is nice and you can power up the display on its own to review later. A printer might be nice, but I just write stuff on a pad at the range and then put the info into my reloading info book later. I noted on one forum (not sure which one) do not use the metal rods for the screens on a "Chrony" brand, use wood sticks (I use take-out chopsticks). The reason is if you hit the rod, more likely than hitting the unit, the impact will still break the body of the unit, the wood brakes away.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Do most Chronographs give avg velocity, BC, SD, ES?  Or, can you just write it down and put it into a ballistics software on a PC and get that info?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Yea, most all of them give that info.  My old Oehler 33 gives all that info.
I have found that, for my purposes, its not worthwhile to bring a laptop to the range.
I only use it for load development and the rest of the time it collects dust.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#9]
your chronograph or your laptop?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#10]
A chronograph does not measure BC.  You need chronographs (two or more) to estimate BC but it is not something you directly measure.

They do measure velocity of every shot and display that info.  They also display the statistics from a multi-shot string, such as average velocity, standard deviation and extreme spread.

What's really cool about the CED unit is when you get home, you connect your box to your PC and download the data into your machine for further processing, record keeping etc.  It's really a big help not to have to sit there and type in all the numbers from a paper tape.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 3:36:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I am also a Beta Master user. I've had it for.... about 2 years now.No problems, although one friend did manage to nail a sky screen support. Fortunately I didn't have any internal damage, the pole just went flying and curled up. I really like the remote screen and the ability to power on / off from the remote. At my range they may let me set it up 15 feet downrange, but they sure wouldn't let me keep going down to turn it on and off! I would spend your budget on the Beta Master and then accessories...like illuminated sky screens for use under cover, and maybe some software. I have Sierra Infinity Six software....can't remember the price but it wasn't crazy expensive.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:13:42 AM EDT
[#12]
CED user here.

quite impressive.

the bag that you buy seperate is also,great tor transport.

clown
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:52:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm also thinking about getting a new chrony.  I started out with a basic Shooting Chrony (which I wasn't happy with), from there I graduated up to a Oehler 35.  I've had the Oehler for several years and have been pretty happy with it but I would really like a chrony that I can dump the info from onto my computer.  Consequently I've been considering parting with my Oehler and getting a CED M2.  Can anyone comment on how well transferring the data to your computer works with the M2?  Will the M2 perform as well as my Oehler 35 or should I stick with what I have?

This can be done with the Pro-Chono Digital. I believe mine uses infrared sensor technology with the remote(?).Don't remember for sure. The newer ones have USB intrface and software.

http://www.competitionelectronics.com/pages/Prochrono_Digital.html

http://www.competitionelectronics.com/pages/digitalusb.html
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Try wally world online.  I picked up a f1 chrony for $70...they have beta's listed @$92 and Gamma's at $158
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This can be done with the Pro-Chono Digital. I believe mine uses infrared sensor technology with the remote(?).Don't remember for sure. The newer ones have USB intrface and software.

http://www.competitionelectronics.com/pages/Prochrono_Digital.html

http://www.competitionelectronics.com/pages/digitalusb.html

The Shooting Chrony Beta and Gama models both have an option for that too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top