Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 5:49:34 AM EDT
I'm kind of new to reloading rifle and going to be reloading 223 with a 60gr Hornady V-MAX bullet and Hodgdon Varget. The starting load data from Hodgdon calls for 25 grs of powder. Should I take 10% off the starting load (23.5 grs) and work my way up or just go with the 25grs. I don't want to run the risk of a squib with too light a load.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Reloading manuals suggest starting at the Starting Load – 10% This is never a problem except with a couple of fast powders (don’t recall the name) and there they recommend a 5% drop.

Squib will not be a problem.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#2]
The starting load is where you start.  The only time you take 10% off is when they only list one charge weight and that is the maximum.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The starting load is where you start.  The only time you take 10% off is when they only list one charge weight and that is the maximum.

+1, a "starting" load is just that. The charge you "start" with and work up to the "max" load.

This is one of the times the words mean exactly what they say.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top