Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2009 6:53:41 AM EDT
Can anyone recommend a good OAL for the 300gr SMK in a .338 LM Sako TRG-42? My Sierra manual lists 3.680, Vhit's manual lists 3.602 - that's a pretty big difference. I don't even have a factory round to compare it to.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:08:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Standard answer –– use a Stoney Point Gage to find distance to lands, then decide if you want to go single-feed vice magazine-length.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Got a link to the tool?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can anyone recommend a good OAL for the 300gr SMK in a .338 LM Sako TRG-42? My Sierra manual lists 3.680, Vhit's manual lists 3.602 - that's a pretty big difference. I don't even have a factory round to compare it to.

The real question is is whether you want the rounds to be mag length?  ~3.680" is just about the limit for TRG-42 338LM magazines.  I can load the 250 SMKs out to ~3.790", so I'd imagine you can get the 300 SMKs out past that if you want to single load them.

3.677" is as long as I've gone, staying mag safe.

Chris

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's the tool:

http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0044519216354a.shtml

Send me a piece of your unsized fired brass and I'll make you a modified case for the tool that is fit to your chamber for $6 including return shipping.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, I'll check it out.

In the absence of this tool, though, what's the best way to get a good estimate? I've taken some test rounds and painted them with black magic marker. It seems as though I'm getting feint land prints on them even at 3.680". 3.65" seems cleaner. Maybe it's just me and my eyes playing tricks... but shouldn't I be able to go out to at least 3.68" without touching the lands?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks, I'll check it out.

In the absence of this tool, though, what's the best way to get a good estimate? I've taken some test rounds and painted them with black magic marker. It seems as though I'm getting feint land prints on them even at 3.680". 3.65" seems cleaner. Maybe it's just me and my eyes playing tricks... but shouldn't I be able to go out to at least 3.68" without touching the lands?

I'm sure you're misinterpreting the manufacturing marks for rifling marks.  You need to reseat the bullet back into the case,  to the point on the bearing surface, where the ink rubs/scrapes off. That's a lot farther out than 3.680" like I said.

Do it again and do it more than a few times with different bullets and then average them all together for your COAL.  Or buy the tool.

Chris

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top