Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 4:22:33 PM EDT
God Damn It...
stuff here. Told ya look out for the paniky post

I clean 80 cases of once fired PMC to start (70 pictured). lay them out and hit with One Shot case lube (insert I told you so here)

I start to decap/resize them (disabled the auto index, because I am new and want to see how the die works)
So one case at a time I decap, look at the primer pocket and clean it. I'm new I want to take time and do it right.

I get to the 8th case and wouldn't you know it. as many times as I checked the headstamps a Federal Cartridge (FC .223) is in there. It doesn't feel right I start to remove and
TAH DAH. F***ing chewed up - stuck case.

you decide
case lube or the infamous federal brass?

Well it looks like I'll punch it out tomoorow.
I'm going to get a beer...

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I know its old fashion but I have never used a spray lube.   I have used the pad and tube lube for 25 years with all brands of brass and dies in all calibers and to date never had a stuck case. I use the LEE tube lube.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive yet to find a spray lube thats worth a shit for Full lenth resizing. This is what Ive been using .

And Ive yet to have a problem , out of the 2200 rounds Ive done.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of posts of stuck cases with One Shot.

The people who like it say to use a lot, and let it dry completely.

I would suggest you try Dillon case lube.

I have sized FC brass with the Dillon lube and not had a problem.

So I would blame the lube.

IBAR.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I had two stuck cases with One Shot.  I've used RCBS lube and pad, and Dillon since with no problems, even with the FC brass.  The Dillon is awesome for doing a large lot.  The RCBS will suck your will to live if you have a lot (hundreds or more) to do at one time.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I Like the One Shot but its not for rookies.
YOU HAVE TO LET IT DRY!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I use frankfort arsenal spray it works awesome..! NO stuck cases whatsoever.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#7]
looks like the One shot is One Shit I guess.

I'll stop by again and see what else I can pick up.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#9]
In all my years of reloading I never had a stuck case until I tried One Shot.  Then I had two in one month.  Now I use wire pulling lube.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I say it's improper use of the lube, not necessarily the lube itself.  Maybe there's something about One Shot that makes it hard to use properly or something.

I love my Dillon lube!

Since you're using a Lee die you can just pound it out, there's a vid on their website how to do it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Try sticking it in the freezer over night and then trying to remove the case, might save you the time of having to use the punch.

Wes
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow, ductile failure.  Never seen that but never had a stuck FC.

Leaning on the lube.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
YOU HAVE TO LET IT DRY!

+1 Don't know how many times I have said it in the past.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Is that fabric under the cases and did you spray the cases and roll them over on the fabric?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I see that the primer did not get punched.  Did the expander ball/primer punch budge upward in the die?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Put the cases in loading blocks. spray them from different angles THEN LET IT DRY.

Or use the ziplock bag method and LET IT DRY.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:47:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Put the cases in loading blocks. spray them from different angles THEN LET IT DRY.

Or use the zip lock bag method and LET IT DRY.
What LW Said. I'm shooting 160 plus rounds a day now getting ready for the Nationals July 26th. No way could I reload enough if not for spraying a block of 50 cases at a time. It lets me keep my "X" cases separate and cataloged better too LOL. The one shot is great lube for me. I had a stuck case the first time used but once I saw it was my screw up by not letting it dry one shot is good to go. Once sized the case gets loaded and fired. No other cleaning or tumbling is done. Of course my rounds don't get much rest between the time they are loaded and shot. When using a lube pad for larger cases all the tubed lubes seem to work well. RCBS is what seems to clean better when wiped off.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:13:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Or those who know better products exist.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:23:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Is that fabric under the cases and did you spray the cases and roll them over on the fabric?

Yea, It's a Haz Mat Towel
Sprayed and let it sit. Guess not long enough.

Quoted: Since you're using a Lee die you can just pound it out, there's a vid on their website how to do it.

Today's goal.

Quoted: Lube.
There's nothing about an FC case that will make it size different than the rest.

I was just wondering with all the banter about FC sucks to reload, FC is weak at the head, FC has loose primmer pockets pockets, FC is brittle brass. The way It felt tight as it started to resize I stopped because the resistance felt "off", I started the upstroke and looking at the base or the casing it has a nuce horseshoe look after being pulled out of the shell holder.

Thanks again to all.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:30:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I use a spray made up from RCBS Case Lube 2 and alcohol, and I apply it in a freezer bag.  Several sprays, shake it around, a few more sprays with the cases mostly facing up, more shaking, then plenty of drying time.  If the case feels wet or sticky, it ain't dry yet.  In this case, patience is a very important virtue.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:44:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Woo Hoo..........last night, while looking through my powder stocks, I found 3 1/2 cans of Dillon Spray that I had forgotten about.   I just hope they still have enough pressure in the cans to get the spray going.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:28:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Woo Hoo..........last night, while looking through my powder stocks, I found 3 1/2 cans of Dillon Spray that I had forgotten about.   I just hope they still have enough pressure in the cans to get the spray going.

Aloha, Mark

Just curious how old those cans are, Dillon case lube's been in the plastic pump it yourself bottles for over 15 years now.  Any chance you can post a pic of the aerosol Dillon lube?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:26:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
In all my years of reloading I never had a stuck case until I tried One Shot.  Then I had two in one month.  Now I use wire pulling lube.

How are you applying the wire pulling lube? Have you tried thinning it and spraying it?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:37:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Please enlighten us on what you think is a better product. In the 45+ years Ive re-loaded I think I used them all at one time or another.
Any other spray you know of thats better and I will try it. To lube a tray at a time spray is the most timely way I have found.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:16:22 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Or use the ziplock bag method and LET IT DRY.

I use a big tupperware container.  Put in 100 cases, spray the s**t out of them them, put a lid on them them, shake the s**t out of the box, spray again and let them dry.  Then I put 100 more cases in the box, spray, shake the box, spary again let them dry, then do it one more time.

Since I started that regimen, I haven't had a stuck case with One Shot.  But, when I'm out of my current stash of One-Shot I'm going to try the Dillon spray lube just for s**ts and giggles
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#26]
It's neither FC brass nor the One Shot.  I've been reloading 30 years.  When I found out about One Shot, I threw away the godawful sticky lube pad  and rejoiced.

FC .223 brass reloads like any other, but I only reload it once.  Then it gets decapped and goes in the scrap brass can for future recycling.

The problem with One Shot is lack of following directions.  You must:

1.  Make sure your sizing die is CLEAN.  Periodically scrub it out with Hoppe's or similar and blow dry it with compressed air.
2.  Spray a light coat of One Shot into the sizing die.
3.  Spray all sides of your brass evenly.  I've never used the plastic bag method but that ought to work too.
4.  LET THE DIE AND THE BRASS AIR-DRY FOR AT LEAST ONE MINUTE.  This is where people get stuck.  In the Houston humidity I wait two or three minutes.  You must wait until the solven/aerosol carrier completely evaporates and leaves only the lube behind.

If you do these things every time, One Shot is groovy stuff.  If you don't, you either use your stuck case remover, or go back to sticky lube.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Well went to the Lee website for the "how to" video on removing a stuck case.
Got the punch loosend the die as directed and hammered away. It spit out the primer but that case is stuck.
Didn't work. boy the string of curses that came out of my mouth. let's just say theres enough change in the sware jar to buy a new die...

$#!% &()@^*(*!!##&*^(&^%%@#*$#()$*#%&&%^&()_)&%$#@@$^*((*&*&^%$%*&#$@!*&*&&)_((&%$#%#@@*&)*^%^$#%#%&**())(*_(*&&(*^%*&%%(*&^^$#@%$@!$#@!#^&^^

I'll send the die back to Lee - they charge 4 bucks for removal. So my new reloading journey continues

Local shop only has One Shot so my next Midway order I'll get some Dillion & Lee to compare.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:43:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Well went to the Lee website for the "how to" video on removing a stuck case.
Got the punch loosend the die as directed and hammered away. It spit out the primer but that case is stuck.
Didn't work. boy the string of curses that came out of my mouth. let's just say theres enough change in the sware jar to buy a new die...

$#!% &()@^*(*!!##&*^(&^%%@#*$#()$*#%&&%^&()_)&%$#@@$^*((*&*&^%$%*&#$@!*&*&&)_((&%$#%#@@*&)*^%^$#%#%&**())(*_(*&&(*^%*&%%(*&^^$#@%$@!$#@!#^&^^

I'll send the die back to Lee - they charge 4 bucks for removal. So my new reloading journey continues

Local shop only has One Shot so my next Midway order I'll get some Dillion & Lee to compare.

If nothing on your die is broken yet, buy a RCBS or other brand stuck case remover or make your own.  Cost of shipping die back to Lee and the $4 removal fee will pay for a good portion of a stuck case remover kit.

Removing is a piece of cake www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=463
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please enlighten us on what you think is a better product. In the 45+ years Ive re-loaded I think I used them all at one time or another.
Any other spray you know of thats better and I will try it. To lube a tray at a time spray is the most timely way I have found.

Imperial is the slickest I've used, hands down. For spray, both Midway/Frankford and Dillon need less effort to size (at least in the dies I use). Also, both seem to be more forgiving if you use it sparingly or don't wait long enough.

One shot will work, but other products work better and, considering you need less, aren't as expensive. I tried one can of OS, and while I never stuck a case, I found myself stopping quite often to re-spray. Fortunately, I went through the can pretty quickly. I'm sure an ocassional rookie doesn't apply enough or doesn't allow it to dry, but, like yourself I've been doing this for several decades.  Run a seach and see how many OS stuck case threads there are. That could be because OS outsells others by a 100:1 ratio, or maybe it's just not as efficient as other lubes.

Eddie
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#30]
OP, the problem is not enough One Shot, not a FC problem.

I've used One Shot for a number of years. Initially, I had a few stuck cases because I was way too chentzy with the lube. Now I spray everything once through lightly, let dry, rotate the loading block 90º, and re-spray lightly, let dry. Reload.

No further problems, no muss, no fuss. The problems encountered with One Shot is when you are in a hurry and spray on too little One Shot.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#31]

For spray, both Midway/Frankford and Dillon need less effort to size (at least in the dies I use). Also, both seem to be more forgiving if you use it sparingly or don't wait long enough.

I use the Midway Frankford Arsenal spray and never had any problems. I use the big plastic tray and shake around method.
The stuck case will happen sooner or later as part of the reloading experience. I'd suggest a RCBS stuck case remover as it's easy to use and is not caliber specific. Avoids the inconvenience of shipping back and forth and it's not an expensive item. Of course all this becomes clear in the 20/20 examination of hindsight.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:35:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Just get a 3/8 socket and a self drilling screw that'll reach into the case. Place the socket around the case head and put the screw through the socket and into the primer pocket. (note I predrill the hole all the way through first) Then just turn the screw into the case so that the head of the screw stops on the socket then continue tightening and it'll pull it right out.

I did this several times this weekend because I also didn't let One Shot lube completly dry. (finally realised I needed to let it completly dry before even attempting to resize)
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Just get a 3/8 socket and a self drilling screw that'll reach into the case. Place the socket around the case head and put the screw through the socket and into the primer pocket. (note I predrill the hole all the way through first) Then just turn the screw into the case so that the head of the screw stops on the socket then continue tightening and it'll pull it right out.

I did this several times this weekend because I also didn't let One Shot lube completly dry. (finally realised I needed to let it completly dry before even attempting to resize)

This is a good way to remove the case. I'd just make one other suggestion. Soak the stuck case and the die real well with Kroil or some other good penetrating oil.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#34]
So, I said screw it. It machined parts. An inanimate object.
Disassembled the top, shot a dose of CLP in there, pulled out the decapper and took a good ol' USGI cleaning rod and gave it 2 whacks
Rock beats paper- hammer beats brass or something like that...

sprayed the cases and die again as per the label and let dry. Watched some SpongeBob in the meantime.

Then started again - all 80 rounds decapped and resized. Now cleaning the pockets and sizing to 1.740"
Thanks guys until my next episode - Perimedik the Paniky Poster -OUT

edit spelling
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Then started again - all 80 rounds decapped and resized. Now cleaning the pockets and sizing to 1.740"

I don't understand the sizing to 1.740" part.  If you're trimming the cases, trim them after sizing  to 1.750" not 1.740" unless you plan to size them with the RCBS X-die next time. You can't size to a specific length, only trim to a specific length.

Good job on getting the stuck case out!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aloha, Mark

Just curious how old those cans are, Dillon case lube's been in the plastic pump it yourself bottles for over 15 years now.  Any chance you can post a pic of the aerosol Dillon lube?

Sorry, I'm an ancient sort of guy.  Still using cameras with film and only a dial up connection.  And NO CELL PHONE.......OMG!!

Yup....it's in aerosol cans, 4.5 oz, stamped on the bottom 8245. There is some light rust on the bottom of the can.  But, since the product is a lube (or something like it) I'm not worried.  As long as the remaining gas will expell the product (cross fingers).

Aloha, Mark

PS.......BTW, the directions on this Dillon stuff, doesn't mention waiting for it to dry.  

But, I stress that, each product should be used, AS PER DIRECTIONS.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:46:54 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then started again - all 80 rounds decapped and resized. Now cleaning the pockets and sizing trimmed to 1.740"

I don't understand the sizing to 1.740" part.  If you're trimming the cases, trim them after sizing  to 1.750" not 1.740" unless you plan to size them with the RCBS X-die next time. You can't size to a specific length, only trim to a specific length.
Good job on getting the stuck case out!

Verbage. Wrong term.
Do I have the right numbers here?
MAXIMUM OAL trimmed case is 1.760" (should not exceed)
MINIMUM OAL trimmed case is 1.740" (should not be less than)

Within that .02" tolorance is the safe acceptable case length?
I gotta double check the ABC's if I was around at post 15000 I maybe could have won 2 copies... But I'm new... Waiting for post 25000

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#38]
trim to 1.750" and you'll be golden
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
trim to 1.750" and you'll be golden

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top