Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2012 1:38:51 PM EDT
Has anyone tried the Edge Pro sharpening system? Seems like it would work very well.

Edge Pro
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#1]
My buddy uses one on all his and my knives. It's prob one of the best knife sharpening tools on the market.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:46:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought one a year ago and love it.Very simple to use.I had a Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker and just could not get the super sharp edge I wanted.I got the Edge Pro Apex 4 and it put an excellent edge on my knife but I wanted to go a step further so I ordered a 5K and 10K stone.I have no problem shaving with my pocket knife now.

My pocket knife is a SOG Vulcan with VG10 steel.About once a week I spend 5 minutes on the edge pro to keep it razor sharp.With several angle settings it's very versatile.You'll never free hand sharpen again after getting an Edge Pro.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 3:08:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I have trouble sharpening my ZT350 at the recurve but I think I may just be messing up the technique. However, the rest of the blade, and all my other blades, are razor sharp because of it. It's definitely one of my better investments.

BTW if anyone has any advice about sharpening the recurve portion I'd love to hear it. I'm just not sure how I can go about doing it with the flat, 1" stones I have.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 3:44:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I got the Edge Pro 2 for a Christmas gift from my wife and have sharpened almost all of our kitchen knives and several others. It is awesome!!  I have ordered a 600 and 1000 grit stone. The down side is I have a bald spot an my arm from getting these blades shaving sharp.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 4:11:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

BTW if anyone has any advice about sharpening the recurve portion I'd love to hear it. I'm just not sure how I can go about doing it with the flat, 1" stones I have.

Sure there's a jig out there that might help you.  I do all my sharpening by hand and I use these for inside curves.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have trouble sharpening my ZT350 at the recurve but I think I may just be messing up the technique. However, the rest of the blade, and all my other blades, are razor sharp because of it. It's definitely one of my better investments.

Get the 1/2" stones for the recurve:

Aftermarket (but better) 1/2" Edge Pro stones

stock 1/2" Edge Pro stones

Congress Tools also has some stones that would work.  Just buy the 1/2" blanks and glue some Congress Tools stones to them.  MoldMaster 240 and 400 are good, as are the Ruby stones (all of them) and orange EDM stones (the 400 and 600).  They even have them in 1/2" half round stones that would work great.

I have the MoldMaster 120, 240, 400, and 600grit.  The 120 is useless because the 240 cuts better.  The 400 is good, the 600 has to be used dry or else you'll get a ton of swarf.

I'm saving up for the Shapton Glass stones for general sharpening, and some low-grit Nubatama Bamboo stones for reprofiling.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top