Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 11/21/2012 6:46:44 PM EDT
i don't know why, but I am the worst sharpener in the world. I've had the small kits with 2 stones, i have the smiths little travel keychain doohicky with the carbide and ceramic sharpeners. i just suck at it. i think it's almost a natural talent you have to have, a buddy of mine in the Marines had one stone and would walk around taking everyone's knives and sharpening them razor sharp. I dont know how he did it.

i saw a youtube video of a kit where it holds the sharpeners and you lay the knife on a platform and go to town, and it sharpens razor sharp and quick too. when i looked it up it was $200+ but now i can't remember the name of it.

anyhoo, are there any cheaper comparable items that work well?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Get either a Spyderco Sharpmaker or a Lansky kit.  They both let you set an angle and make it super easy to maintain the angle over the whole blade
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I like that lansky kit.

Now, I don't know all the types of blade types, but what about sharpening hollow ground and convex blades?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#3]
For convex you can use sandpaper and a mouse pad.  There are quite a few youtube videos demonstrating how to do it.  Hollow I have no idea about.  Hopefully someone else will have an answer for that
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top