Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2002 3:19:36 PM EDT
I carry and use a CRKT M16 12Z everyday. It is a GREAT little knife. The steel is the best that I have ever used on a pocket knife. Thanks to you guys, I have an urge for something a little nicer, stronger and smoother.

I want a 4" folder for daily use and would like to spend less the $125-150. I want something that opens FAST with one hand like the CRKT. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got an M16 and also a Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Covert Folder.  It's great.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 6:28:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Frank

Take some time and go over to the A. G. Russell site and look around at their various knives. Pick out several that you think would meet your needs and then we can tell you some more about them. There are so many knives out there these days that you're sure to find several that you like.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 6:44:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Frank, I would also suggest you go here: www.1sks.com/ and check out some of the manufacturers like Benchmade and Microtech.  I happen to like Balisongs because of their strength.  A well made Balisong is the strongest of the folding knives, but may be illegal in your area.  With practice, they open plenty fast.  I have dealt with One Stop quite a bit.  They are fast and reputable.  Like Sig said, take a look at a few and we can probably fill you in on a lot of details.

Link Posted: 10/11/2002 7:13:15 AM EDT
[#4]
FrankSquid, I think you are going to have a hard time finding a fine quality knife with a 4” blade in your given price range.

I have a couple suggestions though that may cost you just a little bit more but are well worth it.

Blade Auction
www.bladeauction.com/osauction.shtml
under (Key word search) type in Godfather.

This is one on their Site and it will likely go for $ 200.00.
www.bladeauction.com/cgi-bin/osa/ViewPage.cgi?templateName=item_form.htx&itemNumber=643327

Others will go for less or you may go with a different knife altogether. You will find everything from high quality knives to cheap garbage knives at Blade Auction.

Or if you like Damascus and could use a 3½” blade try here. www.estoremanager.com/deltazkniv-118/product.asp?ProductID=394815

Hope you find what you’re looking for.

THISISME
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Until recently, I had a large Smith & Wesson S.W.A.T. folder in black w/ partially serrated blade. The blade was plenty large at 3.75" but would still pass through airport security (pre-9-11) and was street legal in most states. It opened quickly and was really rugged. The serrations would cut through rope with ease. The blade would take a good edge, but wouldn't hold it very long. (Is that because its 440C?) Best of all, it was reasonably cheap, so I'm not too down about losing it a couple of weeks ago. My biggest regret about losing it is that if was their first millenium run and was so marked, so may have had some collectors value on down the road.

I too am looking for a replacementm, and am considering either getting another SWAT or a CRKT M16. CRKT's new M18s look mighty sweet, but are out of my price range.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I LIKE MY OX AUTO KNIFE USE IT EVERY DAY GREAT KNIFE I REALY ABUSE IT AND IT HASENT FAILED YET
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#7]
By far the best folder I've ever owned, and I've owned/own many, is the Benchmade Stryker. Available in 2 sizes, black or natural stainless blade, and in nonserrated/semi-serrated configuration. About $140.00. Absolutely impecible knife. Smoothest action, and from top to bottom bomb-proof. Titanium liner, ATS-34 steel...the works.

Sure you can spend more, a lot more, but I personally would have no use for anything different.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all of the replies. So far, the Benchmade has caught my eye but without handling one, I cant tell if it is right for me. I see that they make a version of the Stryker with M2 tool steel as a upgrade to the ATS-34 steel. Any opinions on the M2 vs the ATS34? Thanks.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top