Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2009 5:40:32 PM EDT
I talked to the owner at a local knife show and he had a demo there of this beast. I didn't even ask the price as I figured it wasn't cheap but I never thought it would be $360.00 $395.00.  It's a bad ass piece of cutlery so I'll probably still get one

Any thoughts on these?

RMJ Tactical - Shrike

ETA:  I watched the History Channel piece on RMJ. I didn't talk to the owner, must have been an employee or dealer.

Link Posted: 8/25/2009 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The guys at RMJ are awesome and their tommies are even better.
It's worth the money and don't be afraid to actually use it either.
I don't collect blades - I use what I buy and their tommy is a very durable tool that will last a very long time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#2]
They're pretty neat.  I'd never spend that much money on something I'd never use, but they're neat.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Kestrel - Available September 2009

I wonder how that will be? It seems just a smaller version of their main one Shrike.

I would love to get one of these but they are so much $. Might be my birthday present to myself, ha.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#4]
For that kind of money i would absolutely have to use the thing. The way the rep described it there isn't very much you can do to hurt the thing. He says it punches hoods and thin metals all day long w/o a nick.  $400.00 though. Yeesh.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

For that kind of money i would absolutely have to use the thing. The way the rep described it there isn't very much you can do to hurt the thing. He says it punches hoods and thin metals all day long w/o a nick.  $400.00 though. Yeesh.

There's a video where they're in a junkyard and beat the shit out of an old car, then go chop up a concrete wall just for fun.  No visible damage.  It's badass, but I personally can't see ever needing something like that for the price.

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

There's a video where they're in a junkyard and beat the shit out of an old car, then go chop up a concrete wall just for fun.  No visible damage.  It's badass, but I personally can't see ever needing something like that for the price.

And thats why the sell the most to the military where they need 100% greatness 24/7. For home/work use maybe maybe not, lifetime product for sure. The RMJ how I see it is for those that need to break, chop or kill regularly. So for the average American, hmm no you probably dont need it but if you want something that will kill a man wearing a helmet or vest than there ya go!
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd buy one and throw it all the time.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 5:04:36 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife got one for me for a present at the beginning of the month, There is no doubt that it is indestructible as well as razor sharp . It is a nice addition to the implements of destruction that I hold near and dear.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 11:58:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Snakey approved.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2583/3818031527_3277eedde6_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2505/3818031133_964f1b7093_b.jpg

Actually, I blew his head off with a 3" double OO magnum 12 gauge round, but had to drag his ass out of the bushes with Mr. Pokey.

The trouble with these axes is finding a suitable method to carry it. I just lash it to my gear bag. Also, the internal sharpening stone broke into about 5 pieces during the removal of a rail road tie that was in our way. The handle isn't molded FDE, it's painted that color. Duracoat is my guess. So you can expect it to scratch off promptly. Not that big of a deal. I believe the axe head is duracoated also. So the finish doesn't last long.

I'm not whining, just letting you guys know what to expect.

Link Posted: 8/30/2009 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Snakey approved.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2583/3818031527_3277eedde6.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2583/3818031527_3277eedde6_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2505/3818031133_964f1b7093.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2505/3818031133_964f1b7093_b.jpg

Actually, I blew his head off with a 3" double OO magnum 12 gauge round, but had to drag his ass out of the bushes with Mr. Pokey.

The trouble with these axes is finding a suitable method to carry it. I just lash it to my gear bag. Also, the internal sharpening stone broke into about 5 pieces during the removal of a rail road tie that was in our way. The handle isn't molded FDE, it's painted that color. Duracoat is my guess. So you can expect it to scratch off promptly. Not that big of a deal. I believe the axe head is duracoated also. So the finish doesn't last long.

I'm not whining, just letting you guys know what to expect.

Everything is duracoated on it. The included jump harness retains the hawk well. I am talking to some local guys to see if they can build something like this for my Vec hawks. Still waiting on 1 more Vec which are also great, and must lighter. My internal stone was broken upon receiving.. but I doubt I would ever use it, anyways. Mine has punched thru a few 2x4s, a few sheetmetal panels, and some 1 gallon metal solvent cans at work. The new vec hawk should be 5" longer than the one photoed.

FYI here is a link at bladeforums of a guy who has 3 RMJs, the Kestrel, Talon and Shrike CLICK ME for link
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 6:11:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Hi, I'm the OP and i have a serious problem.
I just ordered one.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Got to play with some RMJ at Blade, thought it was nice but I'll buy 3 ATC Lagana vietnam tomahawks that are just as good for the price of one of the RMJs. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Got to play with some RMJ at Blade, thought it was nice but I'll buy 3 ATC Lagana vietnam tomahawks that are just as good for the price of one of the RMJs. YMMV

I have 2 lagana tacticals myself, great, tough work horse of a tomahawk for 100$s. Nothing wrong with a more expensive hawk, I almost bought american tomahawk's qct last winter but for practical reasons I just couldn't justify that much for a hawk that I'd likely actually use a lot less than my lagana tacticals.
The laganas are great throwers to, I'm starting to get decently good throwing.
I carry 1of them anytime I'm out in the woods on foot.
Enjoy your rmj though!

eta does anyone know how the rmj throws?
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The trouble with these axes is finding a suitable method to carry it.

You can acquire them for 360.00 over at Tad Gear now as well. As for carrying? I vote a Baldric Sheath Carry System. Works for large blades as well. See this mounting thread on knifeforum for ideas and examples.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd have to see how well it works for bushcraft before buying one.

Believe me, there have been times when my personal info/cc# was entered into the order blanks at RMJ and Laguna Tactical, but I decided not to at the last minute.

It isn't the money, I've got knives that cost much more, but I kind of wonder whether or not I'm better off with a 4-5" fixed blade (skinning/dressing) and a Busse FFBM (chopping) for survival/camping.

Not much of a blade thrower...I've got firearms and a nice compund bow for that kind of thing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd have to see how well it works for bushcraft before buying one.

Believe me, there have been times when my personal info/cc# was entered into the order blanks at RMJ and Laguna Tactical, but I decided not to at the last minute.

It isn't the money, I've got knives that cost much more, but I kind of wonder whether or not I'm better off with a 4-5" fixed blade (skinning/dressing) and a Busse FFBM (chopping) for survival/camping.

Not much of a blade thrower...I've got firearms and a nice compund bow for that kind of thing.

Don't take this the wrong way but all knives suck at chopping compared to something designed for it. I've got a reprofiled $30 Cold Steel Rifleman's hawk that would outchop any knife I have ever layed hands on, including the likes of Busse, Ranger and Chris Reeves. I'll be honest in saying the Lagana and RMJ are not bushcraft hawks. They will work, the RMJ is better if you had to choose. The VTAC is too light to be a great chopper so I tend to keep it more as a weapon/car tool and use my Cold Steel in the woods along with a small fixed blade (Becker Necker). If you HAVE to only carry one thing a big fixed blade would be it because you can do everything with a big knife you can with a small one (albeit not very well) but not vice versa. If at all possible carry a good hawk and a small fixed blade, it will do the widest variety of tasks the easiest.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top