Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2008 11:12:09 PM EDT
I have realized that I need a good camp Axe to make certain jobs easier when I am camping. I have been looking at a couple Gerber small axes, the cold steel trail boss, and the fiskar splitting ax. My main requirements are small, light weight so I can attach it to my hiking pack. But i also want something that can split firewood and split kindling.

www.rei.com/product/730548
I first saw the Gerber Gator Axe combo II with the saw inside, I really like the idea of having the saw handy. But I have a few things that worry me with this design, mainly that since the plastic were the blade is held sticks out on the sides it will be hard to split firewood compared to other designs. Also I am worried about the hollow handle being flimsy or flexing while im using it. I really like there saw and will probably buy the Gator machete if I dont but this.

www.ltspecpro.com/90ta.html
My second pick would be the Cold Steel Trail Boss. It looks to be a good old fashion design that works. I don't like the fact that it doesn't come with some sort of sheath or carry option. I have a Cold Steel Kukri Machete which is my main general use and abuse knife, and have come to like most cold steel products and expect them to work.

www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Splitting-Axe-17-Inch-7856/dp/B000AQLUE4/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_a
The last ,and probably the one I'm leaning toward most if the Gerber doesn't meet my needs, would be the Fiskars splitting Axe in either the 23.5" or more likely the 17". It looks to have everything I am looking for great design, compact, light weight, good splitting ax, and very durable.

The only thing that makes me pull more for the Gerber is the added saw combo.

What do you guys think?

Dmgangl
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:03:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll vote for the Estwing Camp axe. Not on your list and maybe a little heavier but it's better than the Gerber/Fiskars. I got mine at Home Depot for $40.

Estwing Camper's Axe
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 5:51:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe your poll needs an "Other" option?

Gransfors Bruks:

Or:

Some feel that Wetterlings is a better value: www.wetterlings.com/
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the Gerber/Fiskars axes. I have four difference sizes, ranging from huge to tiny. These are oustanding axes and my favorite is the "camp" or "pack axe". Cant remember exactly what its called, but its the midsized one that is small enough to carry but more capable than your average hatchet.

I have broken way to many wood handled axes and thus I prefer polymer. I also find them more comfortable to use and the flex reduces the "ringing" of the hands. I use paracord for more grip.

IIRC, none of these axes were more than 50.00 and they all came with belt loops.

These are great axes...
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are actually packing, weight is the first priority.  You don't need a fire anyway.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:42:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You don't need a fire anyway.

The last time I slept outdoors, the low was 25F. The fire felt really good. I realize people
sleep in sub-freezing temperatures all the time with no fire. More power to them. There
is nothing like a fire to boost morale.

I would never go on any kind of extended hike or camping without either a hatchet or a large
chopper (like a Becker BK9 or similar). In the Ozarks, a hatchet / small knife combo is more
useful than the large chopper (unless you are also going to be digging cat holes with the chopper).

Back on topic - I have the Gerber hatchet and I also have the Gransfors Bruks hatchet. The
Gerber lives in my pickup and gets used for trash jobs, chopping tree roots, etc.

The Gransfors Bruks goes all the fun places and there is no comparison between the two in
quality, balance, and usability.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have broken way to many wood handled axes and thus I prefer polymer. I also find them more comfortable to use and the flex reduces the "ringing" of the hands. I use paracord for more grip.

quote]

How the hell can you use paracord on an axe handle?  I would have blisters in minutes.

I have put some hockey tape on a small Knives of Alaska hatchet and it works well, but you need to be sliding your hands along an axe handle and you want smooth wood!
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Quoted:

quote]

How the hell can you use paracord on an axe handle?  I would have blisters in minutes.

I have put some hockey tape on a small Knives of Alaska hatchet and it works well, but you need to be sliding your hands along an axe handle and you want smooth wood!

My father was real old time.  He used to wrap split wooden handles with hay wire and use them for years.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Maybe your poll needs an "Other" option?

Gransfors Bruks:

www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/produkter/new_prod/bilder/litenskogsyxa.jpg

Or:

www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/produkter/new_prod/bilder/storskogsyxa.jpg

Some feel that Wetterlings is a better value: www.wetterlings.com/

+1 - A shaving sharp Gransfors Bruks is the axe for zombies
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top