Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 10:40:30 PM EDT
So how good are they?  Blades seem a little weak.  Just don't seem as strong as my Benchmade or Cold Steel blades.

What is your opinion on the matter?

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:42:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Ive been using the same microtech socom 5 days a week since 1997. Ive used it so much the original black finish on the blade is almost completely gone. It still opens fast & locks open tight with no side wobble.  Its my favorite folder.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the smaller knife and just keep it for a novelty...it was too fragile and the blade too wobbly for anything but opening letters...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone else have experience with these knives?  They are pricey that's for sure.  A LEO is wanting to know more about them...possible carry knife for him.  Would it be a good choice or not?  I told him I think the Benchmade Auto Knives are a good choice.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd take a Microtech over a Benchmade anyday.
In fact, I'd take Microtech over most any other.

I own several MTs, very high quality stuff... built like brick shithouses...  the weakest part is the finish, but even thats better than it used to be.  Comparing my full size MT Socom to an Emerson CQB-7 is laughable.

The biggest negative going for Microtech is their warranty service... they pretty much blow. However... in my experience with several of their products, you won't be needing to send any back for repairs.

Just don't seem as strong as my Benchmade or Cold Steel blades.

You've got that pretty much backwards!
One thing is certain, their blades are NOT weak LOL!
And they redefine the term "street scalpel".

Comparing MT to BM or CS is like racing a Porsche against a Fiero. With knives, you usually get what you pay for. Microtechs are twice as expensive, but their beefiness and overall quality seem to justify it. I have a custom MT which has a price tag thats hardly justifiable, even for Damascus, but for the users like auto Socoms, Amphibians, Vectors... you really can't beat the value.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:08:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'd take a Microtech over a Benchmade anyday.
In fact, I'd take Microtech over most any other.

I own several MTs, very high quality stuff... built like brick shithouses...  the weakest part is the finish, but even thats better than it used to be.  Comparing my full size MT Socom to an Emerson CQB-7 is laughable.

The biggest negative going for Microtech is their warranty service... they pretty much blow. However... in my experience with several of their products, you won't be needing to send any back for repairs.

Just don't seem as strong as my Benchmade or Cold Steel blades.

You've got that pretty much backwards!
One thing is certain, their blades are NOT weak LOL!
And they redefine the term "street scalpel".

Comparing MT to BM or CS is like racing a Porsche against a Fiero. With knives, you usually get what you pay for. Microtechs are twice as expensive, but their beefiness and overall quality seem to justify it. I have a custom MT which has a price tag thats hardly justifiable, even for Damascus, but for the users like auto Socoms, Amphibians, Vectors... you really can't beat the value.

I can't agree with you on this one.  My Benchmade knives have never failed me on any task.  The blades are super strong...and they don't wiggle around like the Microtech knives.  As far as blade strength goes...they are made from the same material.  They may be a quality knife...but they aren't any better IMHO.  I'll be sticking with my Benchmade Auto.

FWIW...any blade that freely moves around once deployed is not a value.  That would drive me nuts!  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Microtech was on the verge of going under a while back. They had a time where the quality fell throught the floor. I had a few MT that had lots of blade play and very poor quality overall. I sold them. I don't know how they are now a days.

Benchmade is really good stuff but you can still get a lemon. SOG and Cold Steel are more affordable and good quality.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:29:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

FWIW...any blade that freely moves around once deployed is not a value.  That would drive me nuts!  

If you're here asking about Microtechs you don't own any. If you don't own any how are you so convinced they're loose and have blade play? I own three Microtech knives and they all lock up like a bank vault. Benchmade makes great manual knives and I own several but in the auto market Microtech rules the roost.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:29:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're here asking about Microtechs you don't own any. If you don't own any how are you so convinced they're loose and have blade play? I own three Microtech knives and they all lock up like a bank vault. Benchmade makes great manual knives and I own several but in the auto market Microtech rules the roost.

The only reason I say this is because I was recently at a gun show and was playing with a few of them.  As far as up and down they were rock solid.  Side to side they all had play.  BTW these were all brand new knives...and from more than one vendor.  I'm not trying to bash...just a concern before I shell out serious money for a knife.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only reason I say this is because I was recently at a gun show and was playing with a few of them.  As far as up and down they were rock solid.  Side to side they all had play.  BTW these were all brand new knives...and from more than one vendor.  I'm not trying to bash...just a concern before I shell out serious money for a knife.

I have 4 MTs and the only one I have had issues with was the ATCF D/A . The ATCF blade wouldn't latch closed and MT fixed that for me, if you are looking at a working auto try the L-UDT or the SOCOM.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Almost all microtech OTF's have a little bit of side to side play. Thats just how they are, and yes i have handled many and own 2 of them. Microtech deos make very fine autos but the price is out of control and the warranty sucks big time. I think benchmade autos are the best bang for the buck, but to each his own.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:54:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I can't agree with you on this one.  My Benchmade knives have never failed me on any task.  The blades are super strong...and they don't wiggle around like the Microtech knives.  As far as blade strength goes...they are made from the same material.  They may be a quality knife...but they aren't any better IMHO.  I'll be sticking with my Benchmade Auto.

It sounds like your comparing a benchmade folder to a microtech out the front auto. I have a microtech scarab OTF and Iam very pleased with the amount of blade play. By design an OTF has to have a large enough opening that the blade can release and retract without alot of friction.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I have seen a Microtech snapped in two. It is a Navy Seal Team blade.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

All blades have their own special purposes and properties. A harder blade will be easier to break but it will hold an edge longer. Its give and take.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:50:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That's an expensive mistake.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:43:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's an expensive mistake.

Well the knive was found in a Limo, so it was free. My buddy is a idiot sometimes he don't take care of something he owns.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top