Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 6:04:14 PM EDT
Hi.

Let me begin with my apologies.  I'm a lefty, and since I'm on an army post, I'm restricted in what I can own/carry.

My toys are all on the other side of the continent, so it's time to start anew.  Please suggest some knives with blades @ or under 3" in length.  Prefer plain edges.

Since I'm in CA now, small autos are apparently legal.

Anything spring to mind?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at the Spyderco Delica or Delica II.  Both are under 3" and have pocket clips that can be set up for left or right hand carry.  They are about the closest to a true ambendexrious folding knife.  There are also some comparrative models from Benchmade, Buck, and Kershaw, but I know the Delica is available in most AAFES PX/BXs and MCSS.    
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Spyderco Dragonfly
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:34:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Another +1 for Spyderco. They're using good steel, and they are reasonably priced. I've even seen the Native at Walmart for $35. Most have reverseable pocket clips, and utilize the lock bar, so it's easy to manipulate with either hand.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#4]
At Grand Prairie knives they are currently having a sale on Benchmade Griptillians. These are an awesome little folder. 440C steel, Axis lock, awesome ergonomics and very durable. They can be set up for left or right hand carry. You really can't beat the deal they have going on right now. These knives are being sold for about $20 bucks cheaper than usual and its a friggin axis lock! Here's a link,

www.gpknives.com/item/Benchmade-Mini-Griptilian.html

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I am LH too, but have gotten used to using the knives with my RH for ease of clip location and due to the pistol I carry too. I found the Benchmade to be the best LH friendly of the knives I have owned.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Haven't Spydercos been banned in California?  I heard that a while ago, but didn't bother looking into it.

I prefer the quality, fit, function, and steels used by Benchmade over Spyderco.  Pricier, sure, but at least they are (with the exception of their low priced import line the Red Box line) made in America.

Look at the Axis locks.  The 707 and 705 are the two small knives.  Also the mini Griptillian is a good knife.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a lefty and have been eyeing the Chris Reeves Nmanbi (I think I spelled that right).  They come in versions for lefties.  Small blade, elegant style -- but rather expensive.

I currently EDC a Strider SMF, which is a large knife and is not really set up for lefties, but you can adapt (which as a lefty I'm sure that you're used to).
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks.

I know spydies are lefty friendly; I've been trying to get someone back home to send my delica over here.  

I like the few benchmades I've handled, but they tend toward longer blades, and it's a bad tradeoff to get an article 15 for a nice knife.

So - spydies, the mnadi, getting a nice sheath for a becker necker...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks.

I know spydies are lefty friendly; I've been trying to get someone back home to send my delica over here.  

I like the few benchmades I've handled, but they tend toward longer blades, and it's a bad tradeoff to get an article 15 for a nice knife.

So - spydies, the mnadi, getting a nice sheath for a becker necker...

The Benchmade Griptilian link that I posted above is below 3 inches. Check it out, you won't be sorry.

By the way, for some reason folders immediately popped into my head when I read this thread but the Becker Necker is a great idea. Check out Sheath Mechanic for an awesome handle mod that they do the the Necker. They also do a great sheath mod, here is the link. You can purchase the blade through them and have them do the mod before they ship it, or you can ship them you blade and have it done.

www.sheathmechanic.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=99&HS=1

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh -- I forgot about the Gerber-Applegate Fairburn Covert folder.  I've carried mine for 8 years (it just recently got replaced by the Strider).  When I bought it back then they had versions specifically for lefties.  

It's a great blade for $100 bucks.  It's no Strider, but it's been washed a few times, been in the river while kayaking, and abused royally through use and it's held up quite well.  It's never shown any signs of rust or anything like that.  It's no hard-use folder like a Strider, but then again, what is?

I'm not sure if they still offer lefty versions or not.  The blad length is about 3" if I remember right.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Really small?  Kershaw ken onion.

CRKT M16-13 is nice too
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Ydabto!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Within a month Spyderco will have the delica 4 wave. (has a factory emerson licenced wave)
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:51:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I am also a lefty.  

Here are a few suggestions.

Benchmade Ritter Grip Small (excellent Steel S30V) and a decent lock.  Make sure to blow out pocket lint/dust every week or so.  Lock is ambi, and the clip is switchable from one side to the other.  Your choice of black or yellow handle.  Another nice feature is that the knife (patterned after the Sebenza) is flat ground so there is more steel behind the edge.  

RitterGrip

Another excellent choice would be a Small Lefty Sebenza.  I prefer the "Rgular" design over the Classic blade design.   Also uses S30V steel and utilizes a frame lock and scales are of Ti.  This is one of the best knives ever made.  You can find them cheap on KnifeForums.  One listed now (not mine) for $260 or so.   A lot of money (especially on a military salary) but it will never let you down.  

Sebenza

KnifeForumsSebbyLink
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top