Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2004 5:20:08 PM EDT
I have been wanting to get a full size fighting knife as a sometimes replacement for my 5" dagger. The CRKT Hissatsu was appealing to me for its design, sheath options, and concealability, along with the value/quality ratio I have come to expect from CRKT. I ordered one for $60 a couple days ago and I give a report when I receive it. Does anyone else have one of these?
www.crkt.com/hissatsu.html
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I fondled one at a gun show.  I love the blade.  Should penetrate very well.  Not real fond of the handle.  I do plan to pick one up though.  My fighter choice is the discontinued Gerber Yari.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#2]
The big object I had to the one that I fondled was the seamed blade instead of the traditional continuous curve. It's like the hokey American Tanto edge where they actually made it two different edges instead of a continuous curve.
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I fondled one at a gun show.  I love the blade.  Should penetrate very well.  Not real fond of the handle.  I do plan to pick one up though.  My fighter choice is the discontinued Gerber Yari.

Do you remember the price on the one at the gun show? $60 seemed like a pretty good deal to me. Presently, I carry an SOG Pentagon as a concealable fighter. I have some larger knives with 7-9" blades, but they are too large for everyday carry. The Hissatsu seems like a good balance of size and concealability, and the well thought out sheath should offer a variety of carry options.

It is good to know that there is someone else here who appreciates a concealed fixed blade as a defensive option.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
YMMV, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with a "fighting knife" that doesn't have a guard present.  The advertisement says "non slip Krayton handle" but even if that were true, sweat, blood, fat tissue and other oils will slick up the handle possibly allowing the knife to slip leaving the user with  bloody stubs.  Maybe it's just me, but that's my .02 FWIW.

Sly
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I received the Hissatsu in the mail today. The pictures do not accurately convey how impressive this knife looks in person. The AUS-6 blade especially is very intimidating. It has a two tone finish with the upper portion being mirror polished while the grind is matte. It is .20" thick out to 1.5" from the tip and the shape should give it excellant penetration capabilities. The edge is sharp, but not as sharp as the CRKT utility type knives. It is plenty sharp for slashing and stabbing, with enough bite for cutting through thick clothing, and does not have a fine, push-cutting type edge. This is fine with me, because I don't plan on pealing apples with it. I would like it to have been a little sharper from the factory though.

I like the sheath as well. It holds the knife securely, but allows for a very fast draw. It can be changed to allow the knife to be carried blade up, blade down, IWB, OWB, and vertical or horizontal. The knife is too long for me to conceal horizontally, and I imagine one would have to have at least a 42" waist to do so effectively. I have been carrying it OWB, blade up, edge rearward on my weak side. This allows for a fast draw with a reverse grip. It can be drawn and concealed behind the forearm or drawn and used in a belly slash all in one motion. Carrying it upside down also makes it easy to conceal for a large knife. The handle only comes down about 3" below my belt and I can easily conceal it under an untucked shirt.

In response to I-AM-A-WMD's concern about the Hissatsu's lack of a tsuba, i really don't feel that it will be a problem on this knife. Besides the grippy kraton of the tsuka, it has a prominent swell in both the width and thickness to prevent slippage. I have been carrying an SOG Pentagon with no gaurd for several years with no slippage problems and he Hissatsu has a larger swell than the SOG . Before I started carrying it, I tested for slippage with tape over the edges with several liquids and will do the same with this knife.  In a knife this size a small tsuba would not get in the way or hinder concealment. However, the designer, James Williams, is a renowned expert in edged weapons combat, and would have included it in the design if it was needed.

Overall I think it is a well designed knife with a good carry system, which is an unfortunate rarity in fighting knives. The materials are of good qulity and the fit and finish are excellent. It could be a little sharper from the factory, but 10 minutes will fix that. Retail, at $99 is a more than fair for a blade of this size and quality. I paid $60 for it plus shipping which seems to me like a bargain.

Link Posted: 4/29/2004 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Before I started carrying it, I tested for slippage with tape over the edges with several liquids and will do the same with this knife. In a knife this size a small tsuba would not get in the way or hinder concealment. However, the designer, James Williams, is a renowned expert in edged weapons combat, and would have included it in the design if it was needed.

Hell there's folks that don't do that much familiarization/field testing with their firearms, let alone a knife.  Good on ya triburst1.

Sly
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Before I started carrying it, I tested for slippage with tape over the edges with several liquids and will do the same with this knife. In a knife this size a small tsuba would not get in the way or hinder concealment. However, the designer, James Williams, is a renowned expert in edged weapons combat, and would have included it in the design if it was needed.

Hell there's folks that don't do that much familiarization/field testing with their firearms, let alone a knife.  Good on ya triburst1.

Sly

Thanks, WMD.
I won't consider carrying anything I plan to trust my life with until I test it to see if I think it will work. Not only does testing show you if a piece of equipment is worthy, it also helps build confidence and trust in your gear if it does in fact perform well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like you got a great deal. I'm in the process of finding a fixed blade to carry in addition to my handgun. I've been looking at the Hissatsu as well as the Fred Perrin Bowie. I'm also not sure if I want to carry such a large blade and opt for something like the Clinch Pick or Disciple.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sounds like you got a great deal. I'm in the process of finding a fixed blade to carry in addition to my handgun. I've been looking at the Hissatsu as well as the Fred Perrin Bowie. I'm also not sure if I want to carry such a large blade and opt for something like the Clinch Pick or Disciple.

I have been carrying the Hissatsu daily for about a week now and have had no problems concealing the knife under an untucked shirt. The upside down carry method provided by the Hissatsu's sheath design facilitates a fast draw and ease of concealment. The place I ordered mine from has great prices and a 5 day, no-questions asked gaurantee. As long as you e-mail them to let them know you are returning it, and do not damage it, it can be returned for an exchange or refund. Check them out here: flames-n-knives.com I don't think you will be disappointed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Triburst,

Do you have any pictures of the Hissatsu on you while wearing it? I'd like to get an idea of how it's worn and how much of the handle sits below the belt line.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry, I don't have a digital camera but I will do my best to describe it. I wear the knife on my left side exactly where I would have a pistol if I was left handed, just behind the hip bone. The knife is perpendicular to my belt with the point up and the edge facing rearward. As I wear it, the handle comes exactly 3 1/2 inches below the bottom of my belt. It could be adjusted about two more inches higher to conceal under a shorter shirt, but would probably sacrifice some speed on the draw. The knife is held close to my body without actually touching and is very comfortable. The upper tip of the sheath rides just behind my elbow while my arm hangs naturally at my side. I have found this carry method so fast, comfortable, and concealable that I am currently having custom kydex sheaths made for my other carry knives that will alow them to be carried like the Hissatsu. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the detailed description. I forgot to ask. Are you left or right handed?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I am right handed and I carry my fighting knives on my left side to back up the G19 on my right. Some people like to carry both blade and pistol on the strong side but I prefer one on each side. I am as comfortable using a knife with my left hand as my right and I like to be able to draw one while the other is in use or draw both at the same time.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top