Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2003 1:34:36 PM EDT

I am thinking of purchasing a Wilson Tactical Model 2. Does anyone own one? I have a couple of questions. What is D2 steel? Easy to sharpen? Rust resistant? Overall feelings? Quality? I would appreciate any info on this knife.

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#1]
TT, here is a quote from the FAQ posted at the top:

"D-2 is sometimes called a "semi-stainless". It has a fairly high chrome content (12%), but not high enough to classify it as stainless. It is more stain resistant than the carbon steels mentioned above, however. It has excellent edge holding, but may be a little less tough than some of the steels mentioned above. And it does not take a beautiful finish. Bob Dozier uses D-2."

I have never owned a Wilson model.  I can tell you that there is an old adage among knife makers that says: "D2 takes a lousy edge and holds it forever."  However, I have handled a few Dozier knives and they seem plenty sharp to me.  D2 has excellent edge retention, but may be a bit more prone to chipping or breaking if subjected to abuse.  It works very well for smaller blades, especially hunters, skinners and small tactical knives, 4" - 5" or less.  However, IMHO, I would look at other steels for large knives.  For the Wilson you mention, I think D2 is a fine choice for steel.

Page Armory » Blades
Top Top