Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2003 6:24:41 AM EDT
I recently inherited two Model 1 Randall knives.
The first was my grandfather's that he carried during WWII. My grandfather was a Ranger in the 6th Batallion during WWII. He was one of the Rangers who raided the Japanese POW camp in Cabanatuaan. That knife has a lot of sentimental value.

The second knife is my father's. Identical to my grandfather's only about 20 years newer.

I plan on getting  one for myself identical to the other two and making a display case for all three.

Do any of you have experience with Randall Knives?
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 7:00:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Stoney, you might email Stokes.  He is a collector and can probably offer some guidance for questions you may have.  While I realize they have a lot of sentimental value, you may want to get them appraised, especially in the case of your grandfather.  His may have substantial collector value as WWII Randalls are highly valued items.  If you can get him to attest to the history of the blade in writing, it can really add to its value as an authenticating device.  If your father served in Vietnam with his Randall, the same rule will apply, although the value will not be as high.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 7:39:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I personally really like Randall's but my vice is the Model 14. The model 1 is a classic and will fetch big bucks for a WWII model. 1000-2000 on condition easy maybe even more with the story to go with it! If the second is early 60's that would make it also a popular item with the guys who love the Nam' era models. Congratulations on the pair, personally If they were mine I'd keep em' but either way Nice score. If you want to get one yourself without the 3year wait check out.
www.nordicknives.com

The wait is about a 11 months, which isn't that bad.

JerrY
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 7:39:30 AM EDT
[#3]
My grandfather passed away 11 years ago.
My father was never drafted for Vietnam.

I don't have any pictures of Grandpa in uniform w/ his knife on...but he did tell me he used it while over there.

I also recieved a mess of his old patches, buttons, medals, awards, some Jap stuff he brought home (canteen, officer spurs, a note pad of somesort...it's all in japanese writing. I think it might be military orders because there seems to be an oficial stamp at the bottom of each column. A Japanese bayonet, his leather satchel with typed copies of some orders...MacArthur's name is on there as well.

And the most unusual thing is three unopened packages of what appears to be speed. I can't remember the exact name, but it was used to keep the soldiers awake if tired and to relive fatigue. On the package it states "Only take when ordered to by your officer".

I have some picture of him shaking FDR's hand in the Oval Office. A picture of him kissing his M1 from Life magazine.

A lot of other sentimental stuff.

Thanks for the info on Stokes. I'll send him an e-mail soon.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#4]
that is a shame any proof of there use in wartime tripples or more there value . anyway buy your self a #1 but buy all means use it thats what randals are made for put it on the wall when your adventures are done. next to my desk at home sits my (WELL USED) #14 hanging on my day pack  just as it rode on my LBE when I was young and imoratal .that is what they are made for . Oh well off the soap box .                              
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 8:01:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Just an anecdote.. I had a custom Randall made to my specs (8" blade, brass hilt and hand guard, etc) in 1960. COST WAS $50.00.  I sold it last year on E-bay for $375 to a Doctor who collects them in Florida.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#6]
You might want to check out the Randall Knife Society. They have a Forum on the Bladeforums site. Additionally, there’s some Randall information at KnifeWeb.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top