Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 10/13/2020 8:49:09 PM EDT
I'm seeing some supposed new factory Lake City M8 API And M20 APIT and the tip that is usually silver looks to be an off white.  Any info on why that would be the case?  Could it just be the paint being used on the new ammo?  I want to buy a can or so of this stuff but at $5.00 per round I want to know it's the real deal and not some kind of wonky projectile.  On a side note while every other caliber ammunition is at an all time high price wise and an all time scarcity, 50 BMG is for some reason exactly the opposite. I see more good 50 BMG at very good prices than I have seen in over a decade.  Lots of factory fresh ammo available.  It's a great time to stock up.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah it's dumb!.. used to be I could fill a 10 round Barrett mag for the same price as a 30 round AR. Now it's way more fun to smoke some 50!
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 1:26:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it's $5 each, pass and find a place cheaper!

You should be able to find it for $3, if you cant find it for that or less, wait for it.

Are you set up to reload? If not and you have the components to reload... MrBen is an 06FFL and can load up your components.

If you need his contact info, pm me and I'll send it. He will also reload ammo for you, just tell him what type you want.
View Quote

I can find remanufactured API in the $3 range but I've never seen LC factory loaded M8 (2019 headstamp, sealed primer and case mouth) in that price range, am I off on that?  Oh I should clarify I rounded the $5 figure to include shipping so it's probably like $4.30 per round.  SG has some at this time.

I will PM you for MrBen's info as I have some blue tips and such I would like to have loaded by someone who knows what they are doing, Thank you for the offer!  I don't have a press at this time but I do have a pretty good amount of components.  It's also the reason my focus when buying ammo at this time is on new never fired factory rounds.  Buying LC M33, M8 etc gives me new ammo and then a supply of known once fired ( only in my rifle) cases for reloading.  I have purchased some reman API from UnAmmo but that is loaded with "once fired" brass so my first reload of this ammo would be the third firing of that brass at the minimum, thus my focus on new factory ammo even if the cost is a little higher.  What are your thoughts on the white tip on the projectile?  I'm thinking it's just a different batch of paint that is supposed to be silver but turned out more whitish.  The M20 APIT I got from American Marksman has a red and off white tip as well and there are absolutely no pull marks on them so I think the projos are current.  Lastly UnAmmo has some real nice looking M8 API loaded in new Ruag brass that's about $3.33 per round shipped.  My hesitation on that is I don't know how good the Ruag brass is and I would be mixing my supply with Ruag and Lake city.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#4]
*FOR US PRODUCTION*  The white tip color code is current for M8 API.  Has been since 1994 when the EPA forced ammo producers (hence the USA notation here) to switch from lacquer/oil based paint for tip colors and to a water based paint.  During the switch, it was found that the little metal flakes that make silver paint "silver" didn't adhere, so you were left with a dirty off white color, some call a very light gray.  Since the color code change was driven by the US EPA, all US ammo production was impacted, so Silver API became White tip, Red/Silver APIT became Red/White tip, Green/Silver Mk211 became Green/White Mk211.   Mk257 API(Dim)Tracer came around after 1994, so it's always had the Violet/White tip color code.  (It's predecessor, the API(D)T M20 had a single tip color code of Green.)

Foreign ammo producers are not under this restriction, so you can still find late-date ammo using silver in the color code.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
*FOR US PRODUCTION*  The white tip color code is current for M8 API.  Has been since 1994 when the EPA forced ammo producers (hence the USA notation here) to switch from lacquer/oil based paint for tip colors and to a water based paint.  During the switch, it was found that the little metal flakes that make silver paint "silver" didn't adhere, so you were left with a dirty off white color, some call a very light gray.  Since the color code change was driven by the US EPA, all US ammo production was impacted, so Silver API became White tip, Red/Silver APIT became Red/White tip, Green/Silver Mk211 became Green/White Mk211.   Mk257 API(Dim)Tracer came around after 1994, so it's always had the Violet/White tip color code.  (It's predecessor, the API(D)T M20 had a single tip color code of Green.)

Foreign ammo producers are not under this restriction, so you can still find late-date ammo using silver in the color code.
View Quote

Excellent info Keith!  So the ones I'm seeing are current US projos and as the sellers state current US Lake City production.  I think that's worth $5 per round to me, for a few anyway.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't speak to their authenticity, just that white is the current tip color code.  Without having had any actually in hand to examine, could very well be factory ammo, or just someone's reloads.  Could be M8 API or someone's paint job on a Ball round.  But the tip color is the current one for the API.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 9:45:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I can't speak to their authenticity, just that white is the current tip color code.  Without having had any actually in hand to examine, could very well be factory ammo, or just someone's reloads.  Could be M8 API or someone's paint job on a Ball round.  But the tip color is the current one for the API.
View Quote

Understood.  The dealer is SGammo so I'm sure they are good.  So I guess at this point we know actual silver tips are older projos.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 12:50:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Went to SGAmmo as well to grab a few, they don’t ship 50 API to FL?
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sorry for the late reply but i see that Keith replied and posted great info as usual! Thanks Keith for helping me out.

The Ruag brass has 2 different types, match and standard. Im not sure if this applies to 50 BMG brass, you'll have to contact the company and ask them.

From what I hear, their match brass is on par with Lapua. Hopefully their regular brass is held to those kind of standards.

I try to use good quality brass for match projos like AMAX, one less variable to deal with. You don't have to shoot matches but if you shoot extremely long distances you want the best components for doing this.

The picture is of a target we use out in the desert, it's set up at 2000 yards. You get to see how big a difference there is between ball, AP... and match projos. Also brings to light those little white lies people tell when they compare their match projos to 50 BMG surplus.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24023/dss06_2ktgt72-1639124.jpg
View Quote

I do hope to shoot several matches in the near future but they will be FCSA semi auto division which shoots almost exclusively at 600 yards.   A lot of the semi matches are done with ammo issued at the match which is usually some flavor of standard M33.  I'm not sure if you have checked out the stuff at UNammo loaded with Ruag brass but it sure looks nice and at $500 for 150 rounds, shipped it works out to about $3.33 per round.  Not bad considering it's loaded with what appears to be very high quality new brass.  The stuff at SG ammo is about $5.00 - $5.45 per round shipped depending on the quantity.  I see lots of pics of guys like yourself that shoot in the desert and it looks so awesome.  Is it legal to just go out there and shoot or do you have to own or lease the property?  Here in Texas you either own it, lease it or you stay the heck off of it or they get you for trespassing.  There is literally zero land in Texas open to the public for shooting, (sad).

After thought:  What is that reticle in your pic?  Military binos?  Zeiss df maybe.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 12:56:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 1:47:07 AM EDT
[#13]
https://www.nightforceoptics.com/technology/reticles/np-r2-reticle
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Went to SGAmmo as well to grab a few, they don’t ship 50 API to FL?
View Quote

That's because it is unlawful to fire bullets that are tracer or incendiary in our state.  I believe it is legal to posses but you can't fire them.  Ammo dealers that are aware of this will not ship incendiary or tracer ammo, even projos, to Florida.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The pic was taken through a Nightforce scope, one mounted on a friend's rifle, so i would have to check their website to know for sure.

That and the pic was taken about 15 years ago, so it would be an older reticle. I do know that the reticle is good for ranging. The first time I posted that pic here, someone guessed the distance before I even posted it.

As for shooting in the desert, we have thousands of acres of BLM land on the left coast. We could probably shoot a couple of miles or more if we wanted to. You just have to know where those big ass bullets are flying! We've had people on dirt bikes ride right past our targets!

Could you imagine what that guy would be thinking about after having his bike blown out from between his legs! "Holy shit, whose shooting artillery at me!" Could you imagine if this hit him!?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24023/dss06_bbm_01-1639894.jpg
View Quote

That looks like fun...what is it?
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 5:00:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Did you ever get the ammo?I'm tempted to get some myself. That $5/round price is keeping me from pulling the trigger though. I wish they were sold in 10 round boxes instead.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 12:17:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Did you ever get the ammo?I'm tempted to get some myself. That $5/round price is keeping me from pulling the trigger though. I wish they were sold in 10 round boxes instead.
View Quote

I have not picked up any yet.  SG is now selling it in 24 round boxes for $118.  With shipping it comes out to $5.41 per round.  I noticed something interesting about this ammo so I held off.  I can send you in messenger if you like as I'm not comfortable posting it.  It's nothing bad just interesting and nothing I can confirm so I don't want to post.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 3:18:47 AM EDT
[#21]
That's fine. Let me make sure I have room.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 4:04:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 3:53:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Did you just want to try out the API, their ammo, both?

I know I can get you API for less than that, is there something specific you want?

PM me if you don't want it posted here in the forum.
View Quote

Thank you,

It is their specific ammo that I'm wondering about.

My interest in this ammo is that it is supposedly actual Lake City factory loaded API not commercially loaded or remanufactured from pull down components in any way.  Just like the actual LC M33 ball that is available.  Two things I like about that would be the ammunition is loaded at full military spec whereas commercial loaded ammo can vary greatly.  Second is that being actual military grade ammunition means the primers and case necks are sealed and of course it's factory new brass.  Recently I have picked up remanufactured  API from UNAmmo and also APIT sourced from American Marksman.  The AM ammunition is clearly loaded in new factory brass whereas the Unammo is once fired.  I put a premium on factory ammo as this gives you a supply of new brass that will be once fired in your gun only.  Remanufactured ammo is usually stated as "once fired" but there is no way to confirm that and no way to know the actual condition of the brass before loading.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I have room if you want to send that PM.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have room if you want to send that PM.
View Quote

PM sent
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
MrBen that posts here, who's also an 06FFL will load ammo for you any way you want.

He can do new brass, WCC comes with sealant in the necks and primers sealed. Load to mil spec, if you want it that hot or loaded to what works in your gun.

If you have the components but Don't have a way to load them. He can load them up, you just have to ask him for a price on that. I know it's different from his regular cost.

I'll point him to this thread and if this is what you're looking for, he can answer more questions.
View Quote

I've had .308 and 50 BMG ammo loaded by him. I also recommend him. The pricing was very reasonable.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've had .308 and 50 BMG ammo loaded by him. I also recommend him. The pricing was very reasonable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MrBen that posts here, who's also an 06FFL will load ammo for you any way you want.

He can do new brass, WCC comes with sealant in the necks and primers sealed. Load to mil spec, if you want it that hot or loaded to what works in your gun.

If you have the components but Don't have a way to load them. He can load them up, you just have to ask him for a price on that. I know it's different from his regular cost.

I'll point him to this thread and if this is what you're looking for, he can answer more questions.

This sounds great.  I would like to have some blue tip incendiary built up on new brass and maybe some of the heavy AP projectiles when things settle down a bit.  From what I understand blue tip should really be toned down quite a bit to prevent possible detonation in the bore or in the muzzle break etc.   Right now it's like a scramble to pick up what you really want before things dry up for five years or never return for that matter.  As far as 50 bmg ,as opposed to almost any other caliber it's a great time for ammo but I don't think it will last much longer.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I can load them into new WMA20 brass, but don't have many on hand right now.  Maybe a 100 or so left in stock.  I'll have to check with the supplier on availability and time line for more.
Powder's still coming in, but slow to arrive.
Still have primers and some new Winchester M33s on hand as well.  Also have a can of M2/AP pulled bullets left.
Still have a couple cans of old pulled M8 API that show the cut mark, but will be resized before loading too.
If you have brass to send for reloading, I can do that too:  cleaned, annealed, primer pockets swaged out, sized, and trimmed/chamfered.   BMG or DTC,  .416, .460steyr.
//Ben
06FFL - Custom Ammunition
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have not picked up any yet.  SG is now selling it in 24 round boxes for $118.  With shipping it comes out to $5.41 per round.  I noticed something interesting about this ammo so I held off.  I can send you in messenger if you like as I'm not comfortable posting it.  It's nothing bad just interesting and nothing I can confirm so I don't want to post.
View Quote

@GAU-8
Mind sending me a PM?

I just ordered some of this ammo last night...
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#32]
PM sent
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#33]
http://www.50bmgsupply.com/amm

Any one have experience with these? Prices look reasonable but no idea if these are self loaded
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:01:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't wanna hijack, but I'm interested in what made you hesitate too. Your inbox if full so I sent you an email @GAU-8
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I sent a reply to your email.  Also I'm cleaning out my box so I can be contacted again.  Thank you for letting me know!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I sent an IM as well, lol. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Would you mind messaging me as well? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:11:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Anyone able to comment on this rumor we’ve been dancing around?
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#39]
The big secret is that another retailer had the same ammo at a much better price. They sold out long ago, of course.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The big secret is that another retailer had the same ammo at a much better price. They sold out long ago, of course.
View Quote

Some secret.

At $5 they're welcome to hang onto it all. I'll happily buy the M33:M17 4:1 linked for $3/round delivered instead.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top