Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 11/6/2018 5:50:14 PM EDT
Hey all - I'm thinking of acquiring a Bushmaster BA50.  I've heard that the huge, brick-looking muzzle brakes they used to use were extremely effective, though I understand why they started using the AAC Cyclops mount instead.

Call me crazy - but could it be that displacing all the oxygen in a 30-foot radius with a pull of the trigger is part of .50BMG magic?  Furthermore, that big old brake is absolutely a thing of beauty to me.

Can anybody comment on how the AAC brake works on the newer BA50s?  AAC doesn't make crap but seems like it couldn't be nearly as effective as the old style brakes since it's got to be so much smaller to also be a can mount.

Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#1]
There's no way the AAC brake will be as effective as the old style brake.
While I haven't used an AAC brake on a 50 cal, I've used them on other large caliber suppressed rifles and recoil was more noticeable.
Hopefully Bushmaster will give their customers a choice of what brake they would like on their rifle.
SJC
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. I think I prefer that glorious huge brake - makes it look like a shoulder-fired Sherman Firefly! Figured I could easily find a used one with the old brake, but Gunbroker was full of way overpriced new ones. Good thing Armslist has a bunch of older ones for sale!
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Yours looks similar to the one on my Steyr 50.
Being designed as a military rifle though, the ports are angled much more towards the rear, meaning a nice blast to the face.
First time I shot it I was slowly pulling the 2 stage trigger and BOOM!
My first thought was that I made had a HUGE KABOOM and and catastrophic failure.
It is a pussy cat with Federal Ammo, the M2 and Barret ammo is is loaded hotter.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a armalite brake and replaced with acc.

Very noticable at least 2x-3x the recoil.

You can shoot all day long with the armalite but with just the aac problem 20_30 rut rounds and it starts to suck
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Just what I was looking for - thx all!
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the aac brake on my BA50 and recoil isn’t bad at all; the gun is heavy enough it doesn’t need a better brake.  The good part is it doesn’t blow everything off the bench like my M82 does
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top