Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2013 2:53:31 PM EDT
I would like to replace my stock AR-50A1 National Match trigger with a lighter one.  Some guys at a local FCSA match last weekend said to get a Jewell HVR-A?  I've looked that up and it was for a Remington 700, and comes with a safety lever, which the AR-50A1 obviously doesn't need.

Can someone tell me which Jewell triggers are workable in the AR-50A1 and what mods are necessary?

Also, where can one buy Jewell triggers as every place I've seen has them on backorder.  Does any business have them in stock?  Does Jewell sell these triggers directly to public?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 3:16:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Two friends have Timneys in their AR50's.  I'll ask which one if you like.  Don't know anyone that used Jewell.  Great triggers, though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure on the NM one but the normal one has shilen adjustable trigger. I backed mine down to 4lbs. It went further but i didnt like haveing a lihhter trigger on it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:21:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I swapped out the factory lawyered up Shilen trigger for a standard Shilen trigger, it breaks clean at about 2 pounds. Another option is the Jewell trigger that's set up for 2 OUNCES, it will fit but you need to do a little grinding around the back pin hole for clearance. It's easy to do but if you don't feel comfortable doing it you can have a gunsmith take care of it.

On the Shilen I found that if you use the bolt safety and snap it down it WILL FIRE as that spring has some heavy tension on it. You will then need to take the trigger out of the rifle and reset the sear. My fix for this is I don't load the rifle until I'm ready to shoot and I never use the safety anyway so its not a problem for me. The problem is if you let someone else shoot it and they use the safety.

If you have a newer rifle the triggers are supposed to be better then the older rifles and easy to adjust. Look up instructions on how to adjust a REM 700 trigger and you can do it yourself or take it to a gunsmith if you don't think you can do it.
View Quote

Thanks.  It's a brand new rifle so hopefully it has a better trigger than I think.  I will look up how to adjust Rem 700 triggers and try that route first.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#5]
When I researched this about 2 years ago, I thought that I read that any rem 700 trigger would work.  I actually bought a rem 40x (several ounces) trigger but still have yet to install it.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:45:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I called Jewell directly and said I have an AR50 and want a 3lbs trigger.  They said no problem and hooked me up.  Did have to do some filing  on the stock to get it to fit.  Very minor.  Works great.  I recommend it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I called Jewell directly and said I have an AR50 and want a 3lbs trigger.  They said no problem and hooked me up.  Did have to do some filing  on the stock to get it to fit.  Very minor.  Works great.  I recommend it.
View Quote

That sounds promising....What is the specific model number that you bought?

What kind of filing?  Did it come with instructions on where and how much to file?  Or did you have to do trial and error?

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top