Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2009 4:19:33 PM EDT
So I started popping some rounds out around 650yds today.  I've discovered a couple things.  1.  Its a bit harder than it looks.  2.  2001 Lake City ammo is inconsistent as hell (as evidenced by a couple errant shots and difference in primer "mashing") but I was able to keep about 12inches or so.  

So now I have a couple more questions.  
1.  Obviously I need to get to reloading.  I've been looking at Lee's stuff.  I know the Lee's are the weakest of the 50 reloading but where I shoot just enough to warrant reloading, I don't shoot enough to justify $500 on a higher end setup.  Any thoughts?  My biggest concern is some of my brass from my old rifle has a ridge up near the shoulder that would need to be sized back.  Would a lee hold up to that kind of thing?  Any good bullet pullers?  I have some WWII surplus crap but the brass seems ok.  I'd salvage the brass and bullets and toss the rest if I can.

2.  The bipod is kind of floppy.  It makes it a bit more difficult to stay on target.  What's a good bipod?  I've heard about self leveling setups but I have no idea how they work or where to get them.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I started popping some rounds out around 650yds today.  I've discovered a couple things.  1.  Its a bit harder than it looks.  2.  2001 Lake City ammo is inconsistent as hell (as evidenced by a couple errant shots and difference in primer "mashing") but I was able to keep about 12inches or so.  

1.  Obviously I need to get to reloading.  I've been looking at Lee's stuff.  I know the Lee's are the weakest of the 50 reloading but where I shoot just enough to warrant reloading, I don't shoot enough to justify $500 on a higher end setup.  Any thoughts?  My biggest concern is some of my brass from my old rifle has a ridge up near the shoulder that would need to be sized back.  Would a lee hold up to that kind of thing?  Any good bullet pullers?  I have some WWII surplus crap but the brass seems ok.  I'd salvage the brass and bullets and toss the rest if I can.

2.  The bipod is kind of floppy.  It makes it a bit more difficult to stay on target.  What's a good bipod?  I've heard about self leveling setups but I have no idea how they work or where to get them.

1.  (a)The Lee setup will work just fine.  Buy it, and don't look back.  If you are only loading for one rifle, you don't need to resize all the way...you just need to size the brass enough that it'll go back in the chamber and have the bolt close.  This will make the brass last longer, give you the best accuracy, and won't take as much effort.

1. (b) Get the 5C collet setup to pull bullets...it's on here somewhere...I posted it a while back...can't remember the size...I think you need a 12mm collet but don't hold me to that.  Might be a 13mm.  

1. (c) I doubt your ammo is WWII surplus...it's probably Talon reloads in WWII brass...Is the primer silver?  If it is, it's definitely a reload...WWII ammo was loaded with brass-colored primers.

2.  The APA Bipod from Armalite is bar none the best bipod available today.  GET ONE!  I've gone one for my AR-30 338 Lapua and I LOVE it.

-David
Edgewood, NM

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#2]
APA Bipod

I have just ordered one for myself, so I don't have any opinions on it yet, but I trust what David says.  If he says it is golden, then believe it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.  (a)The Lee setup will work just fine.  Buy it, and don't look back.  If you are only loading for one rifle, you don't need to resize all the way...you just need to size the brass enough that it'll go back in the chamber and have the bolt close.  This will make the brass last longer, give you the best accuracy, and won't take as much effort.

1. (b) Get the 5C collet setup to pull bullets...it's on here somewhere...I posted it a while back...can't remember the size...I think you need a 12mm collet but don't hold me to that.  Might be a 13mm.  

1. (c) I doubt your ammo is WWII surplus...it's probably Talon reloads in WWII brass...Is the primer silver?  If it is, it's definitely a reload...WWII ammo was loaded with brass-colored primers.

2.  The APA Bipod from Armalite is bar none the best bipod available today.  GET ONE!  I've gone one for my AR-30 338 Lapua and I LOVE it.

-David
Edgewood, NM

Cool thanks!

BTW my WWII stuff has the brass primers.  I quit shooting it after I found out stuff that old had corrosive primers and it was extremely inconsistent anyway.  One shot would hit the target at a couple hundred yards and the next would hit 4 feet low at the same distance.

Link Posted: 9/15/2009 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:39:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Not sure if you have the Price50 bipod on yours or not. When I first got mine I had similiar complaints. Price50 emailed me and gave me instructions to take out all the slop. It involves putting in a couple of very thin washers that keep it from moving. As I recall (it has been a while) I glued them in so that they will never come out once I figured out I liked it much better. The thing has absolutely no slop now and it is a great improvement. Since it is cheap and easy to do you might want to give it a try.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#7]
FYI: you need the 13mm collet for the 5C puller set up.

Wayne
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#8]
13mm is correct, but I used an R8 collet instead.

Quoted:

FYI: you need the 13mm collet for the 5C puller set up.

Wayne

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:45:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I received my APA Friday and to say the least, the thing is a beast!  Only draw back....heavy.  Well built and works great.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top