Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2009 5:07:52 PM EDT
Is it alright to shoot 660 grain bullets out of my AR50,sorry for the noob question.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#1]
They are made by a company called american eagle they were the cheapest thing i could afford
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They are made by a company called american eagle they were the cheapest thing i could afford

Wait before you shoot them and I suggest you change the title to reflect "american eagle".  There's something wrong with an "american something" ammo.  I can't remember what it is.

The logic of buying a $3K rifle and then feeding it with the absolute cheapest shit available is beyond be.  Quality gun, buy quality ammo or start reloading.

Nothing wrong with the bullet weight, there's just some American xxxbrand ammo that has a bad rep for safety/consistency.  Someone else will post about it.

-David
Edgewood, NM
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
american eagle is Federal ammo I believe probally LC brass.
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

NO.  That's only in standard Calibers.  NOT IN 50 BMG.

ETA: Looks like I was WRONG.

-David
Edgewood, NM
Link Posted: 1/24/2009 11:18:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO.  That's only in standard Calibers.  NOT IN 50 BMG.

-David
Edgewood, NM

Wrong.

American Eagle is Federal Lake City.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/products_id/2883

This is 50 BMG Federal American Eagle 660gr XM33C Full Metal Jacket Ammo. This ammo is made to US Military Spec by Lake City. This ammo is made with Lake City Brass and is boxer primed. This ammo comes 10rds to a box with 100rds in a case.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 3:58:09 AM EDT
[#6]
So is it safe to shoot? I heard of american eagle blowing out primers in their 223 thats why I am concerned.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:31:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, if it's Federal factory, i'm sure it's ok.  I've never heard of that ammo and never seen any before so I can't comment on past performance but if it's made by Federal, a subsidiary of the primary US ammo contractor (ATK) it's probably excellent stuff.

There was some "American XXX" stuff floating around for a while that was bad stuff and I hoped Keith P would hop on here and comment about it.

I wouldn't think twice about shooting anything made by ATK.  Just shoot it.

THANKS FOR THE LINK!

-David
Edgewood, NM
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, if it's Federal factory, i'm sure it's ok.  I've never heard of that ammo and never seen any before so I can't comment on past performance but if it's made by Federal, a subsidiary of the primary US ammo contractor (ATK) it's probably excellent stuff.

There was some "American XXX" stuff floating around for a while that was bad stuff and I hoped Keith P would hop on here and comment about it.

THANKS FOR THE LINK!

-David
Edgewood, NM

You're thinking of AMERC (American Ammunition) who bought Triton's assets.

http://www.a-merc.com

slayer1: All of the reports I've read on the Am. Eagle .50 stuff is good to go. Haven't sampled it personally yet.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

THANKS FOR THE LINK!

-David
Edgewood, NM

You're thinking of AMERC (American Ammunition) who bought Triton's assets.

http://www.a-merc.com

slayer1: All of the reports I've read on the Am. Eagle .50 stuff is good to go. Haven't sampled it personally yet.

That's right.  Thanks for the clarification.  I've never seen any Federal-made 50 BMG.  Glad to hear they're loading ammo for civilians now.  ATK/Federal hasn't built civilian ammo until very recently, I suppose.  They've been a primary primer supplier for years (the only one commonly available now) but I hear they're also going to produce a 50 BMG powder this year under the Alliant brand.  Heard it was called Reloder 50 but don't hold me to it.  Be good to have another temperature constant powder available other than H50BMG.

-David
Edgewood, NM
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the help it is much appreciated
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top