Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2006 6:21:02 AM EDT
1. How is the recoil? I've fired the AR-50 and Serbu and liked them both. It looks like the brake on the Viper is similar to the Serbu, so I'm guessing recoil should be the same. Correct?

2. What is the "street" price? If I get it through my local FFL who always gives me great deals can expect much less than the MSRP?

3. Any regrets?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
1. How is the recoil? I've fired the AR-50 and Serbu and liked them both. It looks like the brake on the Viper is similar to the Serbu, so I'm guessing recoil should be the same. Correct?

2. What is the "street" price? If I get it through my local FFL who always gives me great deals can expect much less than the MSRP?

3. Any regrets?

Thanks!

1.) I've never fired a Serbu or an AR50 to compare them, but the recoil is not bad at all on the Viper. It's no worse than a Magnum 12 gauge shotgun load.  Although the brake is very similar to the Serbu, the recoil should be less on the Viper as it's heavier. My Viper with scope weighs in just over 29 lbs.  I think the AR50 weighs alot more than that (like 42 lbs, maybe?) so it would be the least recoil of the bunch.

2.) If you call Bluegrass Armory direct, the price is $2295 + $30 shipping (shipped to your FFL).

3.) NO regrets !

Link Posted: 10/19/2006 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#2]
The Vipers recoil is no more than the Serbu Carbine.  IF the recoil on the Serbu does not bother you, the Viper will be no problem either.

223-B, is that a Super Sniper on the Viper?  How is it holding up?
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I have shot the following the AR-50, the Viper, Barrett 99 and the M82A1. I am used to shooting large magnum hunting rifles and shotgun slugs from my Benelli M1S90- a shotgun than is known for significant recoil.

That said, I think the recoil from the Viper is quite serious. I was shooting 750 grn Talon FMJ out of it. I had just shot the AR50 the week before so I was expecting a similar recoil and almost got a bunch of scope bite from the Viper. Its had the most recoil out of the 50s I have shot.

My .02

Link Posted: 10/19/2006 11:30:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The Vipers recoil is no more than the Serbu Carbine.  IF the recoil on the Serbu does not bother you, the Viper will be no problem either.

223-B, is that a Super Sniper on the Viper?  How is it holding up?

Yep it's the 20x Super Sniper. So far I've put about 90 rounds downrange, with no ill effects to the scope. I'm using the Burris Xtreme Tactical rings, which are a little beefier than standard rings, so maybe that helps too. The scope has held it's zero just fine.....
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 2:39:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have shot the following the AR-50, the Viper, Barrett 99 and the M82A1. I am used to shooting large magnum hunting rifles and shotgun slugs from my Benelli M1S90- a shotgun than is known for significant recoil.

That said, I think the recoil from the Viper is quite serious. I was shooting 750 grn Talon FMJ out of it. I had just shot the AR50 the week before so I was expecting a similar recoil and almost got a bunch of scope bite from the Viper. Its had the most recoil out of the 50s I have shot.

My .02

First off, the AR-50 is 10lbs heavier then the Viper aiding in felt recoil reduction.

Second, the AR-50 has the absolute BEST muzzle brake on the market with Barrett's new arrow brake coming in a close second.

Of course your going to feel a wee bit more recoil.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#6]
If this helps, my 10 yr old son shoots my Viper without any problems, except that silly grin that develops shortly after squeezing the trigger. My 63 y/o father in law has also shot it, and didn't have any complaints.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

3. Any regrets?

Thanks!

#1. The AR50 has less recoil, I've fired both. as compared to the Serbu, I can't say as I've not fired one.

#2. 2400 if ordered direct.......Ask for Jeff.

#3. NONE......................
not only did the price and gun kick complete ass...........

I too was "worried" about recoil..........

.BGA offeres a "weigh kit" that was rarely in stock considering my gun took about 4-5 months to get to me from order date.

So I called after getting my gun and mentioned if there was some kind of waiting list for it, or if I could just contact the guy direct as I wanted VERY LITTLE RECOIL.

Jeff took the "lead weight kit" out of his very own gun and sent it to me.............free of charge.

I was stunned............

Now my Viper wieghs 37 lbs...........with IOR 10 X 56 scope.

The kit helped and he also told me a cool trick about using lead shot in the wells in the lower reciever and epoxy them closed for additional weight.    

I would buy from them without a doubt if I had to do it all over again.

Link Posted: 10/23/2006 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the input so far.

On the bipod that comes with the Viper, does it allow the rifle to cant any?
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Better jump on the boat soon.
website states a $200 price increase effective Jan. 2007

I'm hoping I'll have my pennies lined up before then
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The legs are adjustable independently for height.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

So, if you're shooting prone and you just need a little left or right adjustment while looking through the scope, you'd have to do the dig-the-bipod-in-the-dirt thing to get a level sight picture, right? That's too bad. I can't stand a bipod that can't......cant. Guess I could deal with it or figure out another solution.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, if you're shooting prone and you just need a little left or right adjustment while looking through the scope, you'd have to do the dig-the-bipod-in-the-dirt thing to get a level sight picture, right? That's too bad. I can't stand a bipod that can't......cant. Guess I could deal with it or figure out another solution.

There's just a hair of play in the bipod.... it's attached via a single pin, and you can get it to move a little bit.

I suppose you could attach a different bipod to it, or maybe modify the existing bipod if you wanted more cant ability.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:24:59 AM EDT
[#13]
223-Buckaroo

Wow, thanks for the pics! I really appreciate it. Viper here I come!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
223-Buckaroo

Wow, thanks for the pics! I really appreciate it. Viper here I come!

Glad I could help !
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top