Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 1/23/2006 10:57:46 PM EDT
I just reached into a box of 50 bmg ammo and came up with five diffrent headstamp markings anyone know what they mean?
TW4
EMZ84
.50 FNB85
TW35
12.7x99 MKE12-64
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#1]
TW is Twin Cities

EMZ is Netherlands (Dutch)

FNB is FN

MKE is Turkish

The dates after them are the years made.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just reached into a box of 50 bmg ammo and came up with five diffrent headstamp markings anyone know what they mean?
TW4  Twin Cities Ordnance Plant, Minneapolis, MN
EMZ84 Eurometaal-Zaandam. Zaandam, Netherlands
.50 FNB85 Fabrique Nationale Herstal, Herstal, Belgium
TW35  Twin Cities Ordnance Plant, Minneapolis, MN
12.7x99 MKE12-64 Makina ve Kimya Endustrisi, Kurumu, Turkey

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#3]
guess that means all this stuff is corosive. what is the good head stamps to look for?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:50:35 AM EDT
[#4]
It depends if the stuff has been remanufactured, if it has been then more then likely it's had the primers replaced with good ones.

If they haven't been remanufactured then the only ones that wouldn't be would probably be the FN rounds. As far as the others I'm not sure, the TW ones will be for sure but the EMZ and MKE are to hard to tell as they're foreign made. You could shoot them, you'll just need to clean accordingly when you get home from the range.

Do you want to sell a couple? I don't have a loaded EMZ or MKE in my collection. You can PM me here or email me at [email protected]

As far as good headstamps goes, you'll want anything past 1952 if it's American. Foreign stuff is to hard to tell, the Yugo/Bosnian (IK headstamp) was found to be mildly corrosive. It took 10 days to show signs of rust when it was tested but it did show up. There's just to many headstamps out there, if you have any questions about it just post it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry 50-Shooter, the stuff I did not Shoot I took back to the gun shop and exchanged before I read this thread or I would have gladly given you the rounds.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top