Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 6:39:30 AM EDT
Yeah, just like every gun owner I want one.  I figure that I could justify it for use on deer with depridation permits

I could only afford a single shot...

What is the best option for someone in my situation?  

What is the cheapest I could get a gun/scope combo for?

Clint
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably the lowest price 50BMG would be one of the several 50BMG uppers (which fit onto an AR15 lower).  These can be accurate rifles.   Prices are in the $1500 to $2000 range plus you need to sacrifice an AR15 lower or buy/build up a new one (figure $300 minimum).  

Scopes for a 50BMG start at the Bushnell 3200 10x40 (fixed magnification) at $190 and go up to $1500 for a Nightforce 5.5-22x56, with the Super Snipers and Leupolds in between.  Some of the rifles come with a scope base, but you will need good rings to the tune of $50 to $150

Add it up and you are looking at $1,800 to $2,300 for the rifle and $250 an up for the scope.  This amount would be the lowest amount to get started.

Complete single-shot rifles go for $2,600 to $4,000 with several good ones on the market.
Barrett offers their M99 single-shot in a package complete with scope for $3,400.

Remember,  hight accuracy ammo is expensive and cheap surplus ammo is not going to give tack-driving accuracy.   If you really get into it (high quantity or high accuracy) you will have to handload your own ammo.

Other guys will have more ideas.

Hope this helps!

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I asked my gun guy about match ammo for a .50  

4 bucks
A round.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Probably the lowest price 50BMG would be one of the several 50BMG uppers (which fit onto an AR15 lower).  These can be accurate rifles.   Prices are in the $1500 to $2000 range plus you need to sacrifice an AR15 lower or buy/build up a new one (figure $300 minimum).  

Scopes for a 50BMG start at the Bushnell 3200 10x40 (fixed magnification) at $190 and go up to $1500 for a Nightforce 5.5-22x56, with the Super Snipers and Leupolds in between.  Some of the rifles come with a scope base, but you will need good rings to the tune of $50 to $150

Add it up and you are looking at $1,800 to $2,300 for the rifle and $250 an up for the scope.  This amount would be the lowest amount to get started.

Complete single-shot rifles go for $2,600 to $4,000 with several good ones on the market.
Barrett offers their M99 single-shot in a package complete with scope for $3,400.

Remember,  hight accuracy ammo is expensive and cheap surplus ammo is not going to give tack-driving accuracy.   If you really get into it (high quantity or high accuracy) you will have to handload your own ammo.

Other guys will have more ideas.

Hope this helps!

+1 BillSP1

I found the Barrett M99 Package to be a good deal.

Rifle with Bipod, Barrett Adjustable Rings, Entry Level Scope, Hard Case and 80 Rounds of Ammo for less then $3400.

When you add up all of the other options on the other rifles you come up on the $3000 mark in a quick hurry.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm having that same 'should I buy a .50' argument with myself.  I'm going to go with the Bluegrass Armory Viper with a 18" barrel.  It has less recoil than the standard 29" barrel.  And where the 29" gives 2970 F/S the 18" still gets around 2700 F/S with the same ammo.  Shotgun cleaning kit+12 guage brushes+Walmart case+entry level scope+rings+80 rds. only adds $500 to the dealer price of the Viper for a grand total of $2,880.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I want an AR50 BAD. Dealer has one on the way and it's not sold yet, but like you I am having the "should I buy a .50" conversation with myself. Would it be unreasonable to take out a personal loan to buy one?

-Derek
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine would be going on a credit card.  That would be more debt that I don't need.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm saving for the Barrett M99, hopefully next year I can get it
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm saving for the Barrett M99, hopefully next year I can get it

Barrett M99, Nice rifle there.

I felt like the time to jump into the 50BMG pond was imminent, but I  had to go bare bones and go for an AR15 conversion type 50BMG.  Being an accuracy geek the ALS-50 fills my needs.  All totaled I will be shooting for about $2300.    Unfortunately he has a 10 month waiting list right now.   which I am about 2 month into.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I Just put another 600 down on my AR50 at sportsmans wharehouse...... yes thats corrct! Sportsmans had an AR50 on the damn rack! $2500 for the rifle new. I will be putting another 800 on it tomorrow after I sell the hardtop for my jeep.

The rest will go on a credit card, then I save the the $1300 Night Force scope.

I am doing whatever I can to get one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#10]
If you have a decent plane not too far away to shoot, and a toerant or forgiving wife, then I think you should get one!  I just took delivery of a Barret M82A1 with scope rings and a second magazine.  I also got 250 rounds of lower grade ammo from Talon and 120 rounds of much higher quality ammo from the Hunting Shack.  I don't have the scope, but am looking for a good deal on the Nightforce 5-22 x 56.  the end result will be a sweet set up, not quite as accurate as a bolt action, but very effective!

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#11]
You gotta do it.  I bought a AR50 and it is just a kick in the pants.  Nothing comes close to the thump in your chest and the feeling that somebody just punched you in the nose every time you squeeze the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I DID IT!!!

My dealer has had an AR50 inbound for about 5 months with no owners...until today!! I put $2,000 down and owe $700 more when the gun comes in. Said it might be in by the end of this month, but I want to hold off on shooting it until I get the scope I want...A Nightforce 12-42x56 Benchrest. What is a good round? What grain? It needs to be available on-line because .50 ammo is almost non existant around here.

-Derek
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:39:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I DID IT!!!

My dealer has had an AR50 inbound for about 5 months with no owners...until today!! I put $2,000 down and owe $700 more when the gun comes in. Said it might be in by the end of this month, but I want to hold off on shooting it until I get the scope I want...A Nightforce 12-42x56 Benchrest. What is a good round? What grain? It needs to be available on-line because .50 ammo is almost non existant around here.

-Derek

I suggest you read the barrel cleaning section at:

http://www.arizonaammunition.com/Cleaning%20the%2050BMG.htm

I am waiting for my 50BMG as well, so this is just "internet wisdom", not verified by me.  It is worth reading at least.  These guys do build good ammo, so this 50BMG cleaning frequency and regiment should be at least concidered.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I am on the lookout for  LH ar50. I am waiting on a bond I cashed in to get here looking at next week hopefully. Pauchman Pawn is still advertising them at 2395.00,but bet they are out last month they were and not checked lately to see if they had any at all. Anyone checked recently? I will have to save up for the NF scope though so will take some time to get to shoot it wonce I get ahold of one.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#15]
There was a LH AR-50 for sale on Guns America, check there to see if it's still available.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, if one of you guys wants a Serbu and aren't in a rush for it and want to save on sales tax if applicable, I have a receiver for sale in EE.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I think all of you guys should by a .50 if for no other reason than it makes the libtards pee their collective panties.

Living on the left coast, watching the trends come north from Kali, I figured a .50 ban would be coming soon to a state around me, so I got one. Like all of you, I would give a kidney to have a Barret, but I still went with a sum larger than any other firearms purchase by me to date. A Ferret Upper. Pure bolt action, no shell holder, no screw in crap.

I got it off the Biggerhammer 50 board, shipped direct to me. Then got a lower, then the Nightforce.

It does indeed kick major ass, and there is an added bonus you never know about until you get one. Ammo cost savings.

Thats right, I said ammo cost savings and I am not on crack.

I normally spend an easy $100+ on any given outing on ammo. How many rounds do you shoot from an elephant gun? Even letting everyone there shoot it, how much??? Last outing, letting everyone shoot until their hearts content, I was still under $50.

I havent read the Kali ban, but as far as I am concerned, my upper is bathroom plumbing. Nothing more, nothing less. And uppers have no numbers.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#18]
friend has an AR50 and i've shot it quite a bit.  great piece.  i'm trying to find an affordable one currently.  this guy also had a Cobb and Barrett.  he told me he'd kept the Barrett, but a guy offered him too much money, so he sold it.  he also said he wishes he'd never sold it.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Affordable and .50 BMG don't belong together in the same sentance.  But I still have a receiver for sale!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
...and the feeling that somebody just punched you in the nose every time you squeeze the trigger.

I think it was just me. Everyone else said they don't feel it.
I want to find one of those viking helmets with those bars to protect my nose.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:28:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, the wait for my Barrett M99 is starting to kill me!  My FFL put the order in to Barrett over 2 months ago, and Barrett initialliy said 4-6 months on the backorder.  I want a new one straight from Mr. Ronnie, so I'm still waiting..

Someday I'll get the phone call that it's in.  Someday.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Hang in there 75237.  I am still at least 6 months out on my ALS-50 upper.  Will start building a dedicated lower soon, got a DPMS stripped single shot lower in my hands now, so I need the parts kit and need to figure out what butt-stock to get.  I picked up a scope a few weeks ago, got some Burris Extreem 30mm rings.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:53:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey BillSP1,

I'll be fine, I'm patient.  It's not like I am wanting for toys to play with.   I picked up a Remington 700 PSS a while back, and just got the Zeiss 3-12x56 for it (or maybe for the M99 Barrett, we'll see)... so I'm hardly crying too hard.  But I still can't wait for the M99 to come in.. though I should buy some nice 30 mm rings for it before it does, since I'll want to go play directly upon its arrival..
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top