Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2004 5:09:50 PM EDT
Well i just came into some cash that has no place to be spent so i stopped by my local gun store, they have a LAR Big Boar on sale for $1999 i'm thinking of buying it.  My questions are, is this a good .50cal rifle, i'm not looking for super accuracy, i plan on shooting surplus ammo.  My second question is how much does a decent scope cost.  Plus if any of you have any general .50 cal shooter hints or comments for a newbie that would be appreciated.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#1]
nobody's got any suggestions for a newbie?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never personally shot one but the general consensus from here and biggerhammer seems to be that removing the buttpad for every shot is kind of a pain in the ass.  Plus, the design puts the cartridge about an inch from your face when firing, not sure if you have a problem with that.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#3]
The biggest brawback to the Griz is the muzzle brake. It's design isn't any good and you really get beat up from it. They are accurate but like SC said, most people don't like "shell holder" type actions.

If you really want one, I know someone that has one for sale for $1,700.

Leupold Mk-IV and Nightforce scopes are considered the best for .50's. There are others out there like IOR Valdada, Hakko, S&B, U.S. Optics (highest priced) that will work out fine also. The Leupold and NF will run you about $1,200-1,300 and the USO will be twice that, IOR and Hakko should be in the $800-900 range.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I've heard that the LAR's are decent, but I'd spend a few hundred more and get the Armalite AR50. In fact I did!!  It's more traditional in how it works, placement of parts, etc....very accurate, a well designed muzzle brake, etc.

I only own Nightforce and Leupold Scopes also - money well spent.  I'd have to put Nightforce in first place for use on any 50's........
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top